What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gohonzon

Gohonzon

[御本尊] ( Jpn)

The object of devotion. The word go is an honorific prefix, and honzon means object of fundamental respect or devotion. In Nichiren's (1222-1282) teaching, the object of devotion has two aspects: the object of devotion in terms of the Law and the object of devotion in terms of the Person. These may be described as follows:

(1) The object of devotion in terms of the Law: Nichiren's mandala that embodies the eternal and intrinsic Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. That Law is the source of all Buddhas and the seed of Buddhahood for all people. In other words, Nichiren identified Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the ultimate Law permeating life and the universe, and embodied it in the form of a mandala. In his Questions and Answers on the Object of Devotion, Nichiren refers to the object of devotion for people in the Latter Day of the Law as "the title (daimoku) of the Lotus Sutra." He further describes the title as the essence of the Lotus Sutra, or Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to be found only in the depths of the "Life Span" (sixteenth) chapter of the sutra. The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind reads, "Myoho-renge-kyo appears in the center of the [treasure] tower with the Buddhas Shakyamuni and Many Treasures seated to the right and left, and, flanking them, the four bodhisattvas, followers of Shakyamuni, led by Superior Practices. Manjushri, Maitreya, and the other bodhisattvas, who are followers of the four bodhisattvas, are seated below" (WND/366). In this passage, Nichiren clarifies the relationship between the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the Buddhas Shakyamuni and Many Treasures, and the various bodhisattvas depicted on the Gohonzon. In this way he emphasizes Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the fundamental object of devotion. The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon explains that all living beings of the Ten Worlds "display the dignified attributes that they inherently possess" (WND/832) through the benefit of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Nichiren viewed the Dai-Gohonzon, the object of devotion he inscribed for all humanity on the twelfth day of the tenth month in 1279, as the purpose of his life. This can be gleaned from his statement in On Persecutions Befalling the Sage, written in the tenth month of 1279: "The Buddha fulfilled the purpose of his advent in a little over forty years, the Great Teacher T'ient'ai took about thirty years, and the Great Teacher Dengyo, some twenty years. I have spoken repeatedly of the indescribable persecutions they suffered during those years. For me it took twenty-seven years, and the great persecutions I faced are well known to you all" (WND/996). The object of devotion in terms of the Law is explained in greater detail in Nichiren's writings such as The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind and The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon.

(2) The object of devotion in terms of the Person: In his Reply to Kyo'o, Nichiren writes, "I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in sumi ink, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart. The Buddha's will is the Lotus Sutra, but the soul of Nichiren is nothing other than Nam-myoho-renge-kyo" (WND/412). Nichiren here expresses his realization of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo as the origin and basis of his life, which he embodied in sumi ink in the form of the mandala he calls the Gohonzon. In The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, he says, "The object of devotion is thus the entity of the entire body of the votary of the Lotus Sutra." "The votary" here refers to Nichiren himself. He also says, "The Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law is an ordinary person and an ordinary priest." "An ordinary priest" here refers to Nichiren. Because Nichiren revealed and spread Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which is manifest as the Person and the Law, he is regarded by his disciple and designated successor Nikko and his followers as the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law. Nichiren himself writes in The Opening of the Eyes: "On the twelfth day of the ninth month of last year [1271], between the hours of the rat and the ox [11:00 .. to 3:00 ..], this person named Nichiren was beheaded. It is his soul that has come to this island of Sado and, in the second month of the following year, snowbound, is writing this to send to his close disciples" (WND/269). He states that he "was beheaded," though actually he survived the execution at Tatsunokuchi, implying that the ordinary person Nichiren ceased to exist. In this context, the passage "It is his soul that has come to this island of Sado [his place of exile]" means that Nichiren described himself as having revealed a deeper, true identity in the course of his attempted execution. Again Nikko and his followers equate that identity with the Buddha of the Latter Day of the Law.

(3) The oneness of the Person and the Law: This means that the object of devotion in terms of the Person and the object of devotion in terms of the Law are one in their essence. The Law is inseparable from the Person, and vice versa. The object of devotion in terms of the Law is the physical embodiment, as a mandala (the Gohonzon), of the eternal and intrinsic Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. Nichiren writes in his Reply to Kyo'o, "I, Nichiren, have inscribed my life in sumi ink, so believe in the Gohonzon with your whole heart" (WND/412). This passage indicates that Nichiren embodied in the Gohonzon the state of life he enjoyed as the eternal Buddha who personified the Law, so that people could attain the same state of enlightenment. The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings reads: "The 'body that is freely received and used [also, the Buddha of limitless joy]' is none other than the principle of three thousand realms in a single moment of life. The Great Teacher Dengyo says: 'A single moment of life comprising the three thousand realms is itself the "body that is freely received and used"; this Buddha has forsaken august appearances. The Buddha who has forsaken august appearances is the Buddha eternally endowed with the three bodies.' Now Nichiren and his followers who chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo are just this." "The Buddha who has forsaken august appearances" means a Buddha who is no different from an ordinary person in form and appearance.

(4) The core of the Three Great Secret Laws: The Gohonzon, or the object of devotion of the essential teaching, is the core of the Three Great Secret Laws in Nichiren's doctrine and represents the purpose of his life. The Three Great Secret Laws are the object of devotion of the essential teaching, the invocation, or daimoku, of the essential teaching, and the sanctuary of the essential teaching. Here, "essential teaching" refers to the teaching of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, not to the essential teaching (latter half) of the Lotus Sutra. Nichiren expressed the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo he realized within his own life in these three forms, which correspond to the three types of learning in Buddhism—precepts, meditation, and wisdom. The object of devotion corresponds to meditation, the invocation to wisdom, and the sanctuary to precepts. Sanctuary is a translation of the Japanese word kaidan, which is also translated as "ordination platform." This is a platform where practitioners vow to uphold the Buddhist precepts. In Nichiren's teaching, to embrace the object of devotion is the only precept, and the place where one enshrines the object of devotion and chants the daimoku is called the sanctuary. Again to keep faith in the object of devotion and chant the daimoku while teaching others to chant it is called the invocation. Both the sanctuary and the invocation derive from the object of devotion. Hence the object of devotion is the core of all three. For this reason the Gohonzon, or object of devotion, is also referred to as the One Great Secret Law.

(5) The inscriptions on the Gohonzon: In the center of the Gohonzon are written the Chinese characters "Nam-myoho-renge-kyo Nichiren." This indicates the oneness of the Person and the Law. On either side there are characters for the names of beings representing each of the Ten Worlds. At the top of the Gohonzon, the names of Shakyamuni Buddha and Many Treasures Buddha appear respectively to the immediate left and right (when facing the Gohonzon) of these central characters. They represent the realm or world of Buddhahood. The four bodhisattvas—Superior Practices, Boundless Practices, Pure Practices, and Firmly Established Practices—who lead the other Bodhisattvas of the Earth are positioned to the left and right of the two Buddhas. They, along with other bodhisattvas in the second row from the top such as Universal Worthy and Manjushri, represent the realm of bodhisattvas. Also in the second row are persons of the two vehicles—voice-hearers and cause-awakened ones, such as Shariputra and Mahakashyapa—and flanking them are representatives of the realm of heavenly beings, such as Brahma, Shakra, the devil king of the sixth heaven, and the gods of the sun and moon. In the third row appear a wheel-turning king, representing the realm of human beings; an asura king, representing the realm of asuras; a dragon king, representing the realm of animals; the Mother of Demon Children and the ten demon daughters, representing the realm of hungry spirits; and Devadatta, representing the realm of hell. Moreover, the four heavenly kings are positioned in the four corners of the Gohonzon: (again, when facing the Gohonzon) Vaishravana in the upper left, Upholder of the Nation in the upper right, Wide-Eyed in the lower right, and Increase and Growth in the lower left. While all other figures on the Gohonzon are represented in Chinese characters, the names of the wisdom king Craving-Filled and the wisdom king Immovable are written below Vaishravana and Upholder of the Nation respectively in Siddham, a medieval Sanskrit script. Here the wisdom king Craving-Filled represents the principle that earthly desires are enlightenment, and the wisdom king Immovable, the principle that the sufferings of birth and death are nirvana. Other characters on the Gohonzon include the names of Great Bodhisattva Hachiman and the Sun Goddess. All these names express the principles that the Ten Worlds exist within the eternal Buddha's life, and that living beings of the Ten Worlds can attain Buddhahood. Not all of the above names appear on every Gohonzon that is transcribed from the Dai-Gohonzon, but whichever ones do appear represent all of the Ten Worlds. The names of the Great Teacher T'ient'ai and the Great Teacher Dengyo are inscribed in the lower part of the Gohonzon representing those who transmitted the true lineage of Buddhism. There are two inscriptions gleaned from Miao-lo's Annotations on "The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra," which Nichiren used to describe the power of the Gohonzon and the Law it embodies. One, placed in the upper right (facing the Gohonzon), reads, "Those who vex or trouble [the practitioners of the Law] will have their heads split into seven pieces." The other, in the upper left, reads, "Those who give alms [to them] will enjoy good fortune surpassing the ten honorable titles." The ten honorable titles are epithets applied to the Buddha expressing his virtue, wisdom, and compassion. In the lower right is Nichiren's declaration that "This is the great mandala never before known in the entire land of Jambudvipa in the more than 2,230 years since the Buddha's passing.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Thank you Thomas, I am going to read this carefully a few times to absorb it all.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
High T and Payaso! I think I've read that before on the Gohonzon, BUT this time it is alot clearer. WoW, I'm really impressed with it's meaning and the arrangement of characters from history and the Lotus Sutra.

Like Payaso, I was brought up Episcopalian, but mom was a Catholic in her youth. So I have a battle with animated objects/icons for religious ceremonies and santuary, even though I can be a complete hypocrite at times like going to sleep with my hand on the book of "The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin"......like last night. I feel asleep chanting to and for mainly everyone I know on ICMAG.

I always start my chanting by beginning with Thomas (ptd), then Easy, then Babba's, on down the line.........so I do have a method to my madness.

My big fear about the Gohonzon has been that it was mainly for the religious organizations to use as a control method to solidify there agendas. I can see NOW I've been very wrong. The real obstacle has been me procrastinating about how I have to have the District Leader over to enshrine it. I love all the people I have met at the meetings......which is one of the best parts of this whole adventure. It's just this place I live is very small and I've been trying to get it picked up so there is no suspicions about my hobby. Just like today, I can finally lift some weight now to move things around but we are having a monsoon pratically. I have a million excuses I know, but maybe with 95% more blood flow to my right side of my brain I will have my edge back, after returning to work.

Thankyou all for everything.........desi!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon / WND pg. 831

The Real Aspect of the Gohonzon / WND pg. 831

I have received your offerings to the Gohonzon of five thousand coins, one horseload of polished rice, and fruit. To begin with, this Gohonzon was revealed in the last eight years of the fifty that the Buddha preached in this world, and in this period of eight years, in eight chapters [of the Lotus Sutra], from the "Emerging from the Earth" chapter through the "Entrustment" chapter. Now, during the three periods following the Buddha's passing, in the two thousand years of the Former and Middle Days of the Law, not even the term "object of devotion of the essential teaching" yet existed. How then could the object of devotion have been revealed? Moreover, there was no one who was able to give it expression. T'ien-t'ai, Miao-lo, and Dengyo perceived it in their hearts, but for some reason never put it into words, just as (1) Yen Yüan realized the true meaning of Confucius's teaching, but never gave it expression. Yet the sutra itself and the commentaries of T'ien-t'ai and Miao-lo explicitly state that the Gohonzon will appear after two thousand years have elapsed following the Buddha's passing, in the first five hundred years of the Latter Day of the Law.

How wondrous it is that, around two hundred years and more into the Latter Day of the Law, I was the first to reveal as the banner of propagation of the Lotus Sutra this great mandala that even those such as Nagarjuna and Vasubandhu, T'ien-t'ai and Miao-lo were unable to express. This mandala is in no way my invention. It is the object of devotion that depicts Shakyamuni Buddha, the World-Honored One, seated in the treasure tower of Many Treasures Buddha, and the Buddhas who were Shakyamuni's emanations as perfectly as a print matches its woodblock. Thus the five characters of the Lotus Sutra's title are suspended in the center, while the four heavenly kings are seated at the four corners of the treasure tower. Shakyamuni, Many Treasures, and the four leaders of the Bodhisattvas of the Earth are side by side at the top. Seated below them are the bodhisattvas, including Universal Worthy and Manjushri, and the voice-hearers, including Shariputra and Maudgalyayana. [Beside them are] the gods of the sun and moon, the devil king of the sixth heaven, the dragon king, and an asura. In addition, the wisdom kings Immovable and Craving-Filled take up their stations to the south and north. The evil and treacherous Devadatta and the ignorant dragon king's daughter form a group. Not only the Mother of Demon Children and the ten demon daughters, who are evil demons that sap the lives of people throughout the major world system, but also the SunGoddess, Great Bodhisattva Hachiman, and the seven reigns of the heavenly gods and five reigns of the earthly gods, who are the guardian deities of Japan -all the various great and small gods, that is, the main gods, are ranged in rows. How then could the remaining subordinate gods be left out? The "Treasure Tower" chapter states, "[Shakyamuni Buddha used his transcendental powers to] lift all the members of the great assembly up into the air."

Without exception, all these Buddhas, bodhisattvas, great sages, and, in general, all the various beings of the (2) two worlds and the eight groups who appear in the "Introduction" chapter of the Lotus Sutra dwell in this Gohonzon. Illuminated by the light of the five characters of the Mystic Law, they display the dignified attributes that they inherently possess. This is the object of devotion.

This is what is meant when the sutra says "the true aspect of all phenomena (3)." Miao-lo stated: "The true aspect invariably manifests in all phenomena, and all phenomena invariably manifest in the ten factors. The ten factors invariably manifest in the Ten Worlds, and the Ten Worlds invariably manifest (4) in life and its environment." It is also stated that the profound principle of the true aspect is the originally inherent (5) Myoho-renge-kyo. The Great Teacher Dengyo said, "A single moment of life comprising the three thousand realms is itself the Buddha of limitless joy; this Buddha has forsaken (6) august appearances." Therefore, this Gohonzon shall be called the great mandala never before known; it did not appear until more than 2,220 years after the Buddha's passing.

A woman who makes offerings to such a Gohonzon invites happiness in this life, and in the next, the Gohonzon will be with her and protect her always. Like a lantern in the dark, like a strong guide and porter on a treacherous mountain path, the Gohonzon will guard and protect you, Nichinyo, wherever you go. Therefore, you should take every care to ward off slanderers of the Law in the same way that you would never wish a courtesan even to come near your home. This is the meaning of "Thrust aside evil friends and associate with good companions (7)."

Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself. The Gohonzon exists only within the mortal flesh of us ordinary people who embrace the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. The body is the palace of the ninth (8) consciousness, the unchanging reality that reigns over all of life's functions. To be endowed with the Ten Worlds means that all ten, without a single exception, exist in one world. Because of this it is called a mandala. Mandala is a Sanskrit word that is translated as "perfectly endowed" or "a cluster of blessings." This Gohonzon also is found only in the two characters for (9) faith. This is what the sutra means when it states that one can "gain entrance (10) through faith alone."

Since Nichiren's disciples and lay supporters believe solely in the Lotus Sutra, (11) honestly discarding expedient means and not accepting even a single verse (12) of the other sutras, exactly as the Lotus teaches, they can enter the treasure tower of the Gohonzon. How reassuring! Make every possible effort for the sake of your next life. What is most important is that, by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo alone, you can attain Buddhahood. It will no doubt depend on the strength of your faith. To have faith is the basis of Buddhism. Thus the fourth volume of Great Concentration and Insight states, "Buddhism is like an ocean that one can only enter with faith." The fourth volume of The Annotations on "Great Concentration and Insight" explains this: "With regard to the phrase 'Buddhism is like an ocean that one can only enter with faith,' even Confucius taught that faith is first and foremost. How much more so is this true of the profound doctrines of Buddhism! Without faith, how could one possibly enter? That is why the Flower Garland Sutra defines faith as the basis of the way and the mother of blessings." The first volume of Great Concentration and Insight says, "How does one hear, believe in, and practice the perfect teaching to attain perfect enlightenment?" The first volume of On "Great Concentration and Insight" says, "To 'believe in the perfect teaching' means to awaken faith through doctrine and to make faith the basis of practice."

A non-Buddhist document relates (13) that, because the emperor of Han believed his aide's report, the waters of a river froze on the spot. Another tells how Li Kuang, because he was eager to revenge his father, shot an arrow all the way up to its feathers into a boulder hidden in the grass. The commentaries of T'ien-t'ai and Miao-lo make it perfectly clear that faith is the cornerstone. Because the Han emperor believed completely in his retainer's words, the river froze over. And Li Kuang was able to pierce a rock with his arrow because he fully believed it to be the tiger that had killed his father. How much more so is this true in Buddhism!

Embracing the Lotus Sutra and chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo in itself encompasses the five practices. It was this matter, the wonderful practice that includes the immediate completion of the five practices, that was transmitted to the Great Teacher Dengyo when he journeyed to T'ang China and met the Reverend Tao-sui. No other teaching is more important for Nichiren's disciples and lay supporters. It is referred to in the "Supernatural (14) Powers" chapter. I will write again in detail.

Respectfully,

Nichiren

The twenty-third day of the eighth month in the third year of Kenji (1277)

Reply to Nichinyo

Background

In this reply to Nichinyo, Nichiren Daishonin expresses his gratitude for her offerings to the Gohonzon and explains the significance of the object of devotion. The exact identity of Nichinyo is unclear. She is thought to have been either the wife of Ikegami Munenaka, the older of the Ikegami brothers, or a daughter of the lay priest Matsuno Rokuro Saemon, an earnest believer in Suruga Province. Judging from two letters the Daishonin sent her, she seems to have been a woman of good education and considerable affluence. Moreover, as the recipient of a Gohonzon, or object of devotion, she was evidently a sincere believer. This letter contains a description of the Gohonzon that details the figures represented therein and their significance. The Daishonin also underscores the importance of faith in the Gohonzon.

In the first half of the letter, the Daishonin points out the rarity and importance of the Gohonzon. He cites the Lotus Sutra and other works to show that the Gohonzon is the embodiment of "the true aspect of all phenomena" and "the three thousand realms in a single moment of life."

In the second half, describing the great benefit of faith in the Gohonzon, the Daishonin declares, "Never seek this Gohonzon outside yourself," adding that the Gohonzon is also found only in faith. Sharing two examples from secular tradition, the Daishonin reminds Nichinyo that faith is by far the most important element in manifesting "the Gohonzon" in one's life. He concludes by stressing that chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith is the most complete form of Buddhist practice.

Notes

1. Yen Yüan (514-¬483 BCE), also called Yen Hui, was one of Confucius's most trusted disciples.
2. Beings assembled at the ceremony of the preaching of the Lotus Sutra. The two worlds - the world of desire and the world of form - are two divisions of the threefold world. The "eight groups" refers to the gods of the world of desire, the gods of the world of form, the dragon kings and their followers, the kimnara kings and their followers, the gandharva kings and their followers, the asura kings and their followers, the garuda kings and their followers, and the king of the human world (Ajatashatru) and his followers.
3. Lotus Sutra, chap. 2.
4. The Diamond Scalpel.
5. This statement is attributed to T'ien-t'ai, but its source has not been identified.
6. This quotation is said to derive from The Treatise on the Secret and Sacred Teachings.
7. Lotus Sutra, chap. 3.
8. The ninth, or amala-, consciousness is the Buddha nature, or the fundamental purifying force, that is free from all karmic impediments. Here the Daishonin is associating it with Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.
9. The Japanese word for faith consists of two Chinese characters.
10. Lotus Sutra, chap. 3.
11. This phrase appears in chapter 2 of the Lotus Sutra.
12. This phrase appears in chapter 3 of the Lotus Sutra.
13. Emperor Kuang-wu (6 BCE-CE 57), the founder of the Later Han dynasty. Before becoming emperor, he was once defeated in battle. While retreating, he and his forces were cornered before a broad river. When his trusted aide, Wang Pa, falsely reported that the river was frozen and that they could cross it, the emperor-to-be believed his report and then found the river indeed frozen.
14. This presumably refers to a passage of the "Supernatural Powers" chapter of the Lotus Sutra that reads, "After I have passed into extinction, [one] should accept and uphold this sutra. Such a person assuredly and without doubt will attain the Buddha way."

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wherever we are right now is the stage for each of us to perform a wonderful drama on, fulfilling our own unique missions. Responding with "joy"*, let's take on every challenge we encounter. Let's resolutely set our minds on continually achieving victory and success, confronting everything head on no matter how difficult the situation! That is what Buddhism is all about.

Daisaku Ikeda

* When we respond with joy, we receive benefit--that, in essence, is the meaning of the title. In other words, we receive great benefit to the extent that we joyfully exert ourselves in faith. Here, again, we see that the heart is the all-important factor. If you're going to practice Buddhism anyway, you might as well enjoy it rather than complain about it!

When you're faced with a challenge, do you sigh deeply and say, "Oh no, not again"? Or do you confront it head on, determined to use the situation to accumulate still more good fortune? This slight distinction in attitude makes a world of difference in the end. (The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, Vol. 5, page 29)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"To accept is easy; to continue is difficult. But Buddhahood lies in continuing faith."

(The Difficulty of Sustaining Faith - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 471) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 27th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"True happiness and fulfilment in life lies in taking action to help others."

SGI Newsletter No. 7740, Be Brilliant Embodiments of Your Convictions, from the April 2009 issue of Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translated March 24th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Employ the strategy of the Lotus Sutra before any other."

(The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1001) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, March 26th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Buddhism is all about our behaviour as human beings.* Let's become the type of person who can inspire others with our thoughtful and sensible actions and positively cause people to say, "Every time I meet that person, I feel encouraged and refreshed."

Daisaku Ikeda

*"The purpose of the appearance in this world of Shakyamuni Buddha, the lord of teachings, lies in his behaviour as a human being. The wise may be called human, but the thoughtless are no more than animals." - "The Three Kinds of Treasure", WND-II, page 852

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Shakyamuni Buddha called a person who was able to teach even one phrase of the Lotus Sutra to another an 'envoy of the Thus Come One' who 'was carrying out the Thus Come One's work' (cf. LS10, 162)-- in other words, a person who was enacting the behaviour of a Buddha. This is a perfect description of our activities as members of the SGI.

"A single concrete effort at the grassroots level is far nobler than a thousand grandiose but empty theories. The Russian author Leo Tolstoy (1828-1910) cited the words [of the French philosophical writer Félicité Lamennais (1782-1854)]: 'We must look to ordinary people to find truly heroic and selfless acts.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 7740, Be Brilliant Embodiments of Your Convictions, from the April 2009 issue of Daibyakurenge, the Soka Gakkai monthly study journal, translated March 24th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"It is like the case of a person who falls to the ground, but who then pushes himself up from the ground and rises to his feet again."

(The Proof of the Lotus Sutra - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 1108) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's essay, Seikyo Shimbun, March 28th, 2009

E

EasyMyohoDisco

March Study Material

March Study Material

Learning from the Writings
The Hope-Filled Teachings of
Nichiren Daishonin

Living Buddhism Mar-Apr 2009, pages 50–65
Lecture for March 2009

"The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra": From The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin

Volume 1, pages 1000–1001

Faith for Absolute Victory—The Legacy
Passed from Nichiren to Each of Us

Introduction (All on p. 53)

A. In 1953, at the age of 25, President Ikeda grew his YMD membership from 300 to 1,000 young men dedicated to President Toda's goal of 750,000 households.

B. At the YMD general meeting in 1953, President Toda asked: “There’s something I’d like your advice on. How do we go about achieving kosen-rufu? I’d like you to come up with ways we can do this.” He trusted and respected youth.

C. President Toda: “When you are young, it is very important to believe in yourself.…It is essential for young people to have something they can truly believe in. They need to trust their own hearts.”

D. The ultimate conclusion of Nichiren Daishonin’s Buddhism is summed up in the words: “It is the heart that is important” (WND-1, 1000).

E. The secret to adorning our lives with brilliant victory is the “strategy of the Lotus Sutra.”

Background and Themes

I. Prudence, Courage and Firm Faith (p. 54-56) * Background *

II. Faith That Activates the Heavenly Deities (p. 56-58)

III. The Mystic Law Is the Source of All Wisdom (p. 58-59)

IV. The Essence of Buddhism: The Heart Is Most Important (p. 59-61)

V. Sharing the Same Commitment as the Mentor Soka Spirit (p. 61-63)

VI. The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra: Faith That Brings Absolute Victory (p. 63-64)

For Best Results
• Begin by reading the entire Gosho selection together at the prep meeting and also at the local study meeting. (LB p. 51–52)

• Lecturers should read the entire Gosho (WND-1, 1000–1001) before lecturing at the district. [Note: This month’s passage is the entire Gosho.]

• Note: Some excerpts have been edited for space. See Living Buddhism for the complete text.

I. Prudence, Courage and Firm Faith (p. 54–56)

A. October 1279, when this letter is dated, coincides with the height of the Atsuhara Persecution. (p. 54)

B. Shijo Kingo’s lord, Ema, opposed Kingo’s belief in the Daishonin’s Buddhism for many years. Finally, Shijo King regained his lord’s trust and was granted
landholdings three times larger than his original fief. “The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra” is the letter the Daishonin wrote in reply to Shijo Kingo’s report of being attacked by jealous enemies within his own clan. (p. 54)

C. The Daishonin gives three reasons for Kingo’s survival: His “usual prudence", "courage,” and “firm faith in the Lotus Sutra.” Ultimately, prudence and courage derive from faith. (p. 54–55)

D. The Daishonin gave Shijo Kingo detailed advice, ranging from how he should behave toward his lord to how he should turn down invitations to go drinking at night with his colleagues. (p. 55)

E. Ensuring protection: “An enemy will try to make you forget the danger so that he can attack” (WND-1, 952), and “The protection of the gods depends on the strength of one’s faith” (WND-1, 953)... Arrogance and recklessness put us off guard. The Daishonin urges: “Be millions of times more careful than ever” (WND-1, 839). (p.
55)

II. Faith That Activates the Heavenly Deities (p. 56–58)

A. The Daishonin asserts that Shijo Kingo survived the attack because he “still had both good fortune and rewards” (WND-1, 1000). “Good fortune” means luck, while “rewards” refers to blessings received in return for virtuous acts. We are responsible for improving our own good fortune and karmic rewards. (p. 56–57)

B. The protection of the heavenly deities functions in accord with the principle of “the Buddha nature manifesting itself from within resulting in protection from without” (cf. WND-1, 848). When we believe in the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, we reveal our innate Buddha nature and this in turn activates the Buddha nature of all living beings which then function to protect us from without. (p. 58)

III. The Mystic Law Is the Source of All Wisdom (p. 58–59)

A. The Daishonin explains the principle that “the affairs of this world are Buddhism,” to show that faith in the Lotus Sutra serves as a source of value creation in all spheres of human endeavor. (p. 58)

B. From the “Benefits of the Teacher of the Law” (19th) chapter of the Lotus Sutra: “If they [those who uphold the Lotus Sutra] should expound some text of the secular world or speak on matters of government or occupations that sustain life, they will in all cases conform to the correct Law” [cf. LS19, 263] (WND-1, 1000). (p. 58)

C. The purification of the six senses-our eyes, ears, nose, tongue, body, and mindbring forth our rich potential for value creation. Through the power of the Mystic Law, we can overcome all hindrances such as ignorance and delusion and create the greatest possible value in our lives. (p. 58)

D. All of the best wisdom and cultural traditions that have developed with the aim of promoting human happiness, security, and prosperity in no way run counter to the Mystic Law. (p. 59)

IV. The Essence of Buddhism: The Heart Is Most Important (p. 59–61)

A. “It is the heart that is most important” (WND-1, 1000). This is the Daishonin’s ultimate conclusion. Happiness is not determined by educational background, titles,social status, organizational position, or age. It all comes down to our heart or mind... Ignorance and enlightenment are one in essence (cf. WND-1, 418) (p. 60)

B. Therefore, the entity of “a mind clouded by the illusions of the innate darkness of life” can come to shine as a sparkling jewel of “the essential nature of phenomena, the true aspect of reality” (cf. WND-1, 4). We can transform ignorance into enlightenment, thereby changing poison into medicine. (p. 60–61)

C. A subtle change in our mind (heart) can change everything. The practice that lets us draw forth this power of the mind is chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo for ourselves and others. (p. 61)

V. Sharing the Same Commitment as the Mentor (Experienced Teacher) (p. 61–63) [ Soka Spirit ]

A. Nichiren Daishonin actualized this ultimate true potential of the mind, and he inscribed the Gohonzon—the object of devotion—as a direct expression of the boundless state of life he achieved. When we single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith in the Gohonzon, it is like facing a mirror and seeing our inner universe—the towering life-state of Buddhahood—clearly reflected back at us.(p. 61–62)

B. Nichikan Shonin (1665-1726), a great restorer of the Daishonin’s Buddhism, writes:
“Through the power of the Mystic Law, we manifest the life of Nichiren within
ourselves.”
He also says: “When we believe in the object of devotion with our whole heart, the object of devotion itself becomes our heart. Therefore, the world of Buddhahood is itself the nine worlds. When we single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, our life in its entirety becomes the object of devotion.” (p. 62)

C. The Daishonin declares: “This Gohonzon also is found only in the two characters for faith” (WND-1, 832). In the passage “It is the heart that is important,” heart can be interpreted as “faith.” A heart of true and genuine faith is an unsurpassed treasure; it contains within it all the treasures of the universe. (p. 62)

D. In “The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra,” the Daishonin emphasizes praying and striving with the same spirit as the mentor. “No matter how earnestly Nichiren prays for you, if you lack faith, it will be like trying to set fire to wet tinder” (WND 1000-1001). (p. 62)

E. In another letter to Shijo Kingo, the Daishonin also warns: “If lay believers and their teacher pray with differing minds, their prayers will be as futile as trying to kindle a fire on water” (WND-1, 795). (p. 62)

F. In the passage, “It is the heart that is important,” “heart” can also be interpreted as “the spirit of sharing the same heart as the mentor.” The Daishonin writes: “Those with the heart of a lion king are sure to attain Buddhahood. Like Nichiren for example” (WND-1, 302). (p. 62)

G. The heart of faith to actively propagate the Mystic Law, the heart of a disciple to actively support the mentor, and the heart of a lion to actively speak out for truth and justice-these are the most powerful weapons and strategies we have for achieving peace and securing happiness across the three existences of past, present, and future. This, the Daishonin says, is the “strategy of the Lotus Sutra” (WND-1000-1001). (p. 62–63)

VI. The Strategy of the Lotus Sutra: Faith That Brings Absolute
Victory
(p. 63–64)

A. The “strategy of the Lotus sutra” refers to faith in the Gohonzon. It is faith that battles ignorance and delusion, breaks through negative karma, and wins without fail through confident prayer and the boundless wisdom and courage that flow forth as a result. (p. 63)

B. When we base ourselves on the Mystic Law, we will never be deadlocked...From the “Medicine King” chapter of the Lotus Sutra: “All others who bear you enmity or malice will likewise be wiped out” [cf. LS23, 288] (WND-1, 1001). ...Being able to defeat all obstacles and negative forces through faith in the Mystic Law is the power of the “strategy of the Lotus Sutra.” (p. 63)

C. The Daishonin writes: “Have profound faith. A coward cannot have any of his prayers answered” (WND-1, 1001). For us, courage means to challenge the real-life issues confronting us right where we are with the belief that we ourselves are entities of the Mystic Law. (p. 64)

D. “For Nichiren Daishonin!” “For kosen-rufu!” "For my Human Revolution"—when youth strive with this strong resolve, they will be able to bring forth their true full potential and ability. This, from my personal experience, is the “strategy of the Lotus Sutra.” (p. 64)

E. Just as Mr. Toda called out 55 years ago, I call out to all the youth who are my true successors: “My young friends, how will you accomplish kosen-rufu? What are the challenges that lie before you? Where and how will you fight and win?” (p. 64)

Lecture Study Suggestions

Practically speaking, we have only one hour to study President Ikeda’s lecture at the monthly study meeting, so it’s not always possible to cover every single point. Be sure to cover the important themes of this writing: (1) A believer in the Lotus Sutra is protected by the heavenly deities; the heavenly deities are activated by strong faith in the Mystic Law. (2) We are responsible for creating our own good fortune and protection by applying ourselves to developing prudence and courage based on firm
faith. (3) Faith in the Lotus Sutra can serve as a source of value creation in all spheres of endeavor. (4) The heart is most important: faith to actively propagate the Mystic Law; the heart of the disciple to actively support the mentor; and the heart of a lion to actively speak out for truth and justice.

Here are a few suggestions for points of focus and discussion:

• Developing “prudence, courage and firm faith”
In his letter, the Daishonin lists three reasons why Kingo triumphed in his recent skirmish. The first is “usual prudence.” In other words, staying alert, taking careful precautions, paying close attention to what’s happening, and never slackening for a moment in any of those efforts. The second is “courage,” namely, the courage to deal calmly with any crisis, along with the wisdom that derives from such courage. And third is “firm faith in the Lotus Sutra.” That is to say, the strong resolve to maintain steadfast faith in the Mystic Law, no matter what happens. This is the foundation for everything else because, ultimately, prudence and courage derive from faith. (p. 54)

• Where does good fortune come from? How can we accumulate it?

The protection of the heavenly deities functions in accord with the principle of “the Buddha nature manifesting itself from within resulting in protection from without” (cf. WND-1, 848). In other words, when we believe in the Lotus Sutra and chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, we reveal our innate Buddha nature and this in turn activates the Buddha nature of all living beings which then function to protect us from without. This is what we refer to as the workings of the heavenly deities. Hence, the Daishonin declares that those who uphold faith in Nam-myoho-rengekyo, the essence of the Lotus Sutra, will definitely be safeguarded by these protective forces. (p. 58)

• The equality of mentor and disciple (mentor/student)
Nichiren Daishonin actualized this ultimate true potential of the mind, and he
inscribed the Gohonzon—the object of devotion—as a direct expression of the vast and boundless state of life he achieved. Consequently, when we single-mindedly chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with faith in the Gohonzon, it is like facing a mirror and seeing our inner universe—that is, the towering life-state of Buddhahood— clearly reflected back at us. We can manifest in our own lives the same courageous life-state of the lion king, just as the Daishonin did. (p. 61)

E

EasyMyohoDisco

We started looking for a house yesterday. I can't believe this goal has been accelerated so much (i was expecting more like another year to get our own house). This happened because I chanted so much in the last month and half that I really proved to myself that in my life, it is "HOW MUCH DAIMOKU ARE YOU APPLYING TO YOUR NEEDS, GOALS, AND KOSEN-RUFU?"

So I realized after (and really before) seeing these houses that it is just a matter of how much Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! I'm going to put towards the best home for us is going to determine how and when I get this home! WOOOOHOOOOO, I'm so excited! Desi really fired up my happy meter this morning (good stuff on many levels) and I'm so happy to read such similar feelings not only in Desi's words but those posted by Thomas from President Toda, Nichiren Daishonin and President Ikeda, as well as Chris, Babba, Scegy and everyone really.

"GREAT SCOTT MARTY" is what the Doc tells Marty McFly in Back to the Future movie. That bewildered shock mixed with Happiness is how surprisingly fortunate I feel to be able to lead the study meeting at our small place now and in the near future it will be in our home! I love sharing the study material because I get to read the Gosho, spread the love and absorb some awesome feedback. At chanting meetings or study meetings the environment is very dynamic and everyone in attendance has already connected by chanting daimoku together prior to getting into the study for a few minutes. I think it's really great to actualize our practice in unison with like-minded bodhisattvas!

So I'll let you all know when I get my house! Keep updating me so I can tell my girl how everyone is doing and how its going over there. My household is fully invested in the success of each of you reading this. We have come so far and still have such a long journey ahead. So let's stay together and keep remembering to chant more daimoku for those whom are not posting as regularly as they have in the past, we are all connected.

Peace to all my Buddies!

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
"The Selfish Ass!"

"The Selfish Ass!"

Hi everyone!

For the last few days a friend of mine on here and I are having trouble communicating with each other on a variety of reasons. I think he's 'childish', he thinks I'm a 'selfish ass'. He has had done alot of 'nice things' for me, and for that I'm truly grateful. I also did some favors for him, not all that he wanted, though. I do things my way, and he wants things done his way. I'm alot older, he's alot younger. He won't listen/talk to me now......It's sad we can't still be friends....... Stubborness is the ass of the devil....imo.

So I bring this Quote from ptd in the past:

"People always have many different roles to play. The crucial thing is to be determined to do one's best in everything and be fully engaged in what we are doing at any given moment. To worry about the job when it is time to focus on the children and then worry about the children when it is time to focus on the job is a half-hearted way to go about either task. As Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'Even an individual at cross purposes with himself is certain to end in failure' (WND-1, 618). The secret to successfully fulfilling a variety of roles is to concentrate fully on the task at hand and give it our best effort with enthusiasm, maintaining a positive, forward-looking attitude and not worrying."

SGI Newsletter No. 7631, The New Human Revolution--Vol. 21: Chap. 4,Jewelled Crown 25, translated Sep. 19th, 2008

Easy, you are a blast to be around brother! I feel the house you get is going to be more of a spiritual mansion in the hearts of all who enter. Rock on!

Love to all on ICMAG.........desi!

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Hey man,

Whats up with the name calling Desi? That's not you my man! No need to beat around the bush man because I know Babba, Tom and I support you 100% brotherman! I have no clue who could be pissing you off, but I'm on your side 100%, don't let nothing come between you and your progress.

Keep going and today I presented the material above then after the meeting we saw 4 houses. We got alot of chanting to do for the best one for sure! Let's see how long it takes, MUGI WASSHIN!!!!

A new girl came today and we had a great great meeting here. I love chanting with others, totally rocks the house!

Be good amigos and stay up!

All my best,
MyohoDisco

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
Hitman's Presence

Hitman's Presence

I found this post from last october. It kinda hits the spot I'm trying to wipe clean off my plate...lol

Hitman said:

"It's really hard out here but I'll continue to chant. Life's complicated. Can't ever get a handle on it. It's always changing and if it ain't changing fast enough we change it ourselves. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo is all there is. I need massive amounts of daimoku. I need to chant for peace of mind so I can unscramble all of this mayhem."

Love,
Hit

We miss you hit!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The stronger one's faith, the greater the protection of the gods."* With strong and courageous faith, let's chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to definitely stay in good health and to be absolutely free from any type of accident. Each and every one of us is living a precious and valuable life, with a very noble mission to fulfil in this lifetime.

Daisaku Ikeda

*"To think that just because you are practising faith everything will be automatically all right or that things will somehow work themselves out is a careless attitude. It is also arrogant."

"Being protected by the Buddhist gods means protecting ourselves. As the Great Teacher Miao-lo of China indicates when he says, 'The stronger one's faith, the greater the protection of the gods' (WND, 614), it is strong, fearless faith that spurs the Buddhist gods into action on our behalf."

"It is faith, chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, and taking action for kosen-rufu that brings forth this power." (The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, Vol. 6, pages 81-82)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"All disciples and lay supporters of Nichiren should chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo with the spirit of many in body but one in mind, transcending all differences among themselves to become as inseparable as fish and the water in which they swim."

(The Heritage of the Ultimate Law of Life - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 217) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's encouragement at the divisional leaders meeting held on March 28th, 2009, in Tokyo, Seikyo Shimbun, March 29th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-68), the American civil rights champion, said: 'Cowardice is a submissive surrender to circumstance.' In other words, we shouldn't be ruled by fear was his message. 'Courage,' he declared, 'is an inner resolution to go forward in spite of obstacles and frightening situations.'"

SGI Newsletter No. 7741, THE LIGHT OF THE CENTURY OF HUMANITY, The Great Hanshin Earthquake--Fourteen Years Later, from the Jan. 17th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 27th, 2009

scegy

hello bodhhisatvas!

thomas nice to see you, i have a question regarding something a few pages ago, i don't think i get it correctly, does it really say on the Gohonzon that my head will be splitted in 7 pieces if i vex or trouble, and that i'll get good fortune if i give gifts to the priests(to them?)?
There are two inscriptions gleaned from Miao-lo's Annotations on "The Words and Phrases of the Lotus Sutra," which Nichiren used to describe the power of the Gohonzon and the Law it embodies. One, placed in the upper right (facing the Gohonzon), reads, "Those who vex or trouble [the practitioners of the Law] will have their heads split into seven pieces." The other, in the upper left, reads, "Those who give alms [to them] will enjoy good fortune surpassing the ten honorable titles."
thank you, and p.s. i got something to share, had a great time in Zagreb :)

see ya soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.