Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If you wish to free yourself from the sufferings of birth and death you have endured since time without beginning and to attain without fail unsurpassed enlightenment in this lifetime, you must perceive the mystic truth that is originally inherent in all living beings. This truth is Myoho-renge-kyo. Chanting Myoho-renge-kyo will therefore enable you to grasp the mystic truth innate in all life."
    Reference:

WND Page 3
    Page 3 On Attaining Buddhahood in This Lifetime
    Written to Toki Jonin in 1255 from Kamakura

Comment

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

President Ikeda's Study Lecture Series. Living Buddhism, Jan-Feb 2008. Page 47.

Buddhism is a teaching conveyed through the mentor-disciple relationsihip. The oneness, or shared commitment, of mentor and disciple forms the essence of Buddhist practice. If we forget the mentor-disciple relationship, we cannot attain Buddhahood. Nor can we achieve eternal happiness or realize kosen-rufu. It is through the bond of mentor and disciple that the Law is transmitted. Buddhism is the Law of life; and the Law of life cannot be transmitted through words or concepts alone.
      Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
      (Medical Patient In Compliance)

Nam myoho renge kyo !! Mugi wasshin
      your bud
      babba

Peace/ Be here now

Babba's Farm L.L.C.

The political views, or conspiracy theories, of icmag ownership, do not reflect my own views and are sole property of the participants

Comment

I know we all love our Bud! Trusting that I may make this request with no questions asked, I hope everyone will join me in chanting extra Daimoku for the next seven or eight days and thinking of how much we love our friends Babbabud and MrsB while we do it.

Chanting Growers sticking together, one for all and all for one, we've got your back, unity. Shake the Universe! NEW YEARS WAS A WEEK AGO!!!
        Last edited by PassTheDoobie; 01-07-2008, 17:05.
        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Congratulations scegy on what I hope you come to perceive as genuine wisdom and the right thing to do. No one could have expected you to do that! Wow! I hope the meet goes well!

In the meantime, I again ask that you treat the print with respect. The whole point I was trying to make in the first place was the sense that since it is just a download it is meaningless. It's the image of the Gohonzon. Nothing could be further from the truth!

When you say you have put it away, you worry me a little bit. It shouldn't be moved around too much! I thought you had enshrined it somehow. Please don't do anything to it based on the comments made here! I'm sure I've been clear on that Brother, but it's too important to you for me not to make that point again.

Much love and deep respect,

T
          Last edited by PassTheDoobie; 01-07-2008, 17:08.
          Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Chanting Growers Group = "Good Friends" (Zenchishiki)

Ananda, one of Shakyamuni Buddha's closest disciples, once asked him: "It seems to me that by having good friends and advancing together with them, one has already halfway attained the Buddha way. Is this way of thinking correct?"

Shakyamuni replied, "Ananda, this way of thinking is not correct. Having good friends and advancing together with them is not half the Buddhist way but all the Buddhist way."

This may seem surprising, as Buddhism is often viewed as a solitary discipline in which other people might be seen as more of a hindrance than a help. However, to polish and improve our lives ultimately means to develop the quality of our interpersonal relationships--a far more challenging task than any solitary discipline. Our practice of Buddhism only finds meaning within the context of these relationships.

From another perspective, given that Buddhist practice of polishing and aiming to improve our lives from within is a constant challenge and a difficult process, it is only natural that we need support from others also dedicated to walking a correct path in life, trying also to create value in their lives.

SGI President Daisaku Ikeda has written, "Having good friends is like being equipped with a powerful auxiliary engine. When we encounter a steep hill or an obstacle, we can encourage each other and find the strength to keep pressing forward." And as Nichiren (1222--1282) wrote: "Even a feeble person will not stumble if those supporting him are strong, but a person of considerable strength, when alone, may lose his footing on an uneven path..."

In Nichiren Buddhism, good friends are known as zenchishiki or good influences, while akuchishiki refers to bad influences. People affect each other in subtle and complex ways, and it is important to develop the ability to discern the nature of that influence. According to Buddhism, "bad" friends are those who encourage our weaknesses. In Nichiren's words: "Evil friends are those who, speaking sweetly, deceiving, flattering and making skillful use of words, win the hearts of the ignorant and destroy their goodness of mind."

Even when intentions are good, the degree of our positive influence on each other will vary. Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, founder of the Soka Gakkai, used the following illustration. Say you have a friend who needs a certain amount of money. Giving your friend the money they need is an act of small good, while helping them find a job is an act of medium good. However, if your friend is really suffering because of a basic tendency toward laziness, then constantly helping him or her out may only perpetuate negative habits. In this case, true friendship is helping that person change the lazy nature that is the deep cause of their suffering.

A truly good friend is someone with the compassion and courage to tell us even those things we would prefer not to hear, which we must confront if we are to develop and grow in our lives.

Ultimately, however, whether people are good or evil influences in our lives is up to us. In Buddhist terms, the best kind of zenchishiki is one who leads us to strengthen our own faith and practice in order to thoroughly transform our karma. To quote Nichiren again, "the best way to attain Buddhahood is to encounter a zenchishiki, or good friend." Further, Nichiren comments that Devadatta, the cousin of Shakyamuni who tried to kill him and divide the Buddhist order, was "the foremost good friend to Thus Come One Shakyamuni. In this age as well, it is not one's allies, but one's powerful enemies who assist one's progress."

This expresses a key concept in Buddhism. Due to the immense transformative powers of Buddhist practice, even "bad" friends can have a good influence if we make our relationships with them into opportunities to examine, reform and strengthen our lives. The ideal is ultimately to develop the kind of all-encompassing compassion expressed by Nichiren when he wrote that his first desire was to lead to enlightenment the sovereign who had persecuted him, repeatedly exiling and even attempting to behead him.
            SoCal

Comment

hello

thomas no worries i'm treating the prints with respect, i've just stopped chanting to it, it's layed infront of me as it was before, just so that i can't see it, it's still enshrined in a cardbox

why shouldn't the gohonzon be moved?
              i have no idea where i'm gonna put the new Gohonzon, gonna have to make some space in my living room and make a butsudan
              can i decorate the edges of it with some kind off painted plants?i'd love that

socal thanks for pointing that out, i've been always into group talking as it always brings good out of the conv.
              Growing every day of our lives
              ~Nam-Myoho~Renge~Kyo~

Comment

Chanting For Love skit by the SGI - Knoxville Youth Division

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la87pKWWaNw
                SoCal

Comment

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Hi Scegy,
                  I'm so happy for you and your seeking mind- so proud of you. I know what Thomas means- I can relate to respecting it because it is a copy of the Gohonzon. I hope that I didn't accidently encourage you to destroy it. I'm so happy for the charge you are taking of your life. You amaze me the way you roll. You're like the tide. We all are like tides because we come in and then go back out. The great thing is that we are resilient. Rubber band people, we bounce back to form no matter how we are stretched like Stretch Arm Strong.

The term good friend is awesome-It covers all the bases. SoCal, the story of Devadatta trying to kill Shakyamuni being his utmost good friend, that makes me want to cry. Good Friends enable you to chant way more than you normally would because they are so bad, in one sense of the word, they strengthen our faith. That is true enlightenment, it is so Christ-like. It's the turning of the other cheek, take the coat off of my back, there is no fight back- eye for an eye though.

Gosho Sensh p. 1396-7
                  "Though the Devil King was once our ruler, he now respects and fears us. If he does us any harm, when the Buddhas of the Lotus Sutra and in the ten directions perceive this, his own lot will be made worse. Therefore he makes us offerings out of fear. This is why he strives at any cost to prevent any living being dwelling in the six paths from embracing the Lotus Sutra and attaining enlightenment.

Great Evil and Great Good
                  "Great events do not have small omens. When great evil occurs, great good will follow. Since the worst slander already prevails throughout the land, the supreme Law will spread without fail. I will write again."
                  -Major Writings of Nichiren Daishonin
                  Volume 5

...th 25th day of the 8th month, 1277
                  Upholding Faith in the Gohonzon
                  "I am entrusting you with the Gohonzon for the protection of your young child. This Gononzon is the heart of the Lotus Sutra and the eye of all scriptures. It is like the sun and the moon in the heavens, a mighty ruler on earth, the heart of a human being, the pillar of a house and the wish granting jewel among treasure."

" When one embraces this mandala, all Buddhas and gods will gather around him, accompanying him like a shadow, and protect him day and night, as warriors guard their king, as parents love their children, as fish rely on water, as birds depend on trees, as trees and plants crave rain, you should trust it with all your heart."

With my deep respect,
                  Nichiren

I can hear the drums-a-beatin'!
                  This Hits for all of you!
                  Last edited by Hitman; 01-07-2008, 23:18. Reason: Typo

In Search of Earth's finest nuggets.

Comment

(((...Nam Myoho Renge Kyo...)))

Comment

Nam MYOHO Renge Kyo

Originally posted by PassTheDoobie
                      I know we all love our Bud! Trusting that I may make this request with no questions asked, I hope everyone will join me in chanting extra Daimoku for the next seven or eight days and thinking of how much we love our friends Babbabud and MrsB while we do it.

Chanting Growers sticking together, one for all and all for one, we've got your back, unity. Shake the Universe! NEW YEARS WAS A WEEK AGO!!!
                      Thanks so much !!!
                      Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
                      (Medical Patient In Compliance)

Nam myoho renge kyo !! Mugi wasshin
                      your bud
                      babba

Peace/ Be here now

Babba's Farm L.L.C.

The political views, or conspiracy theories, of icmag ownership, do not reflect my own views and are sole property of the participants

Comment

I'll be chanting for you Mr. and Mrs. Bubbabud!

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Hippy
                          Chanting For Love skit by the SGI - Knoxville Youth Division

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la87pKWWaNw
                          You all HAVE to see this!

Thank you SoCal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Originally posted by scegy

why shouldn't the gohonzon be moved?
                            i have no idea where i'm gonna put the new Gohonzon, gonna have to make some space in my living room and make a butsudan
                            can i decorate the edges of it with some kind off painted plants?i'd love that.

Yes you have to make some space. We refer to the Gohonzon as The Object of Devotion. It shouldn't be touched, breathed upon, disrupted, or enshrined in an unsafe place.

One doesn't move it because it is something that one has declared their devotion to through the process of, seeking their enlightenment by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to it. It's enshrinement should be in a safe and static location.

Of course you can move it if you need to. But the safety and protection of the Gohonzon is paramount. Everytime it is moved, one risks damage. Based on a sincere desire to have the Gohonzon remain undamaged and in its original pristine condition throughout our lives, one is always encouraged to handle it AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.

can i decorate the edges of it with some kind off painted plants?i'd love that.

If you are asking about the butsudan, yes; if you are asking about the Gohonzon itself, ABSOLUTELY NO!

T
                            Last edited by PassTheDoobie; 01-08-2008, 05:39.
                            Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

socal hehehehhe, u've made me laugh my ass off hehehhehe
                              that video is true and hillarius
                              and hehe my friend thomas, i won't be painting the Gohonzon hheheh

hitman, don't worry, i haven't done anything like that, you know, you made ur own decisions no matter what other say, that's why i take full responsibility cos i know when i'm doing something.
                              awsome post man, true words of wisdome

i wish you the best day you can have ppl!
                              Last edited by scegy; 01-08-2008, 09:11.
                              Growing every day of our lives
                              ~Nam-Myoho~Renge~Kyo~

Comment

Gohonzon Faces the East if possible.

Least distractions the more good cause. You want to focus your whole self best.

Tonight I watch the flic! Ya.

Make it your best! No giving up. No short cuts!
                                Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Comment

Working...
                                X