What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Monday Morning Bright Sunshine here...

T good luck with your fan, and Babba! Hope you can see much larger now! I guess it's time for this almost 56 year old to do the same...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo my eyes still work!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
OK, something is up with Desi. Dude are you OK? I get this sense that you are hurt or upset about the encouragement to receive Gohonzon. Are you still doing OK Post Op? I'm getting a real vibe about you Bro. Stick your head in and say something if you can. Please!

Much love and deep respect,

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"In our discussion on the realm of the human heart (at the Seikyo Shimbun building in September 1997), Dr. Seligman, the well-known American psychologist and former president of the American Psychological Association, pointed to a vital ingredient in dealing with setbacks in our careers or lives, or coping with suffering. What do you think that ingredient is? [Called on to give their answer, several members in the audience respond individually, 'The heart,' 'Conviction,' 'Resilience,' and so on.] Good answers. You're all very insightful. Dr. Seligman's answer, however, was 'optimism.' He defined optimism as the conviction that though one may fail or have a painful experience somewhere, sometime, one can take action to change things. He also described optimism as hope. In the same positive vein, Nichiren Daishonin writes: 'Winter always turns to spring' (WND-1, 536). The Daishonin's Buddhism pulses with an invincible spirit of optimism.

"We all have the power to overcome the most daunting circumstances. This is something that I'd like you to reflect on deeply."

SGI Newsletter No. 7739, 27TH SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 2 [OF 2], Building Bridges for Peace, from the March 10th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 19th, 2009

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

This thread has become my constant companion...and I read it with glee every day!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo...

Today was really GOOD. After chanting for a full hour I felt so calm even my parental units noticed. They both asked if I had been smoking pot. Truthfully, I have not been for awhile now, and I did feel as high as a kite! The best part was the calmness with which I was able to deal with their insanity today, as if it was all normal (which it is).

Babba - I am glad you don't mind me sticking this thread. After years looking for this place it seemed like a good idea at the time...through the amazing grace of GN I was able to do that without asking permission. Thanks Gypsy!!!

I was also thinking that perhaps more growers would notice this thread, read it a bit, and want to join in chanting.

Thomas, thanks for the shakubuku insight. I don't even have to say anything. Just be myself and let others see.

:) I spoke with BushyOldGrower recently, and to the Mrs. - they expressed their love and admiration for all of you. If they weren't so far out there without decent internet they would probably be here all the time, but I believe they are with us always as whenever we get together we have a good chanting session.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

THANK YOU CHRIS!!!

Tell BOG and his Mrs. that we send our love and respect and have confidence they will join us here again someday. We look forward to that time!

T

Payaso

Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

As a fan of Dr. Seligman and his courses on Happiness, I was delighted to see that some here have heard of his work. Being happy does not come easily to some folks, burdened by too much pain perhaps.

Dealing with this pain through a perspective of optimism can work wonders. I have been discussing this with my world-weary Mom as she prepares for the final journey of her lifetime here. Yesterday was a good day, she managed to repeat Nam Myoho Renge Kyo with me a dozen times. Although she says she finds more comfort in taking communion at church, it was easy to see that smile emerging after chanting just a bit.

Happiness and optimism go hand in hand. Spring always leads to another spring. Just as one lifetime leads to another. We discussed her thoughts on hell, and how she does not believe in it even though it is preached to her constantly. Amazingly this older Episcopalian somehow came to her own conclusion that hell is something we create for ourselves on earth...and that if we don't go to heaven we just come around again and again.

Moms can be amazing sometimes if you listen to them.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Glad your computer is fixed T, and I see Desi has been on the site and hope he is well. We miss you Desi!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"The greater the hardships befalling him, the greater the delight he feels, because of his strong faith."

(A Ship to Cross the Sea of Suffering - The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, Vol.1, page 33)
Selection source: Kyo no Hosshin, Seikyo Shimbun, March 24th, 2009

scegy

The best part was the calmness with which I was able to deal with their insanity today, as if it was all normal (which it is).

Payaso

yeah, always a pleasure if u endure to that point :) i am also amazed at some random wisdome and common views on things with my grandmas or parents...but they sure did take a lot of time to talk about REAL issues, there comes The Law, if you respect in and nurish it in your heart it pays back quickly

and i must say i can see it working through me on my parents and lots of other friends and people i meet, the Effect is as strong as my determination is.
Deepest respect to you and your Mom!

p.s.
Send lots of respect to my plant mentor and inspiration of my rebellious spiritual path, BOG and his family! I've read your threads on O G over and over, and you've been an eyeopener to me.

Myoho

You'r like the Bora, rapid and strong! I am more cautious about getting involved sexually with someone, although i've tried the "I can take this my way" thing, it didn't work, i did get some clues, but i sure do get a lot more of them if i chant and focus in a little bit wider area then my testicles --> as i am a born nymph and i get addicted to adrenaline&sex in a second
so to do this my way, i'm willing to endure as many kalpas as it takes to never scrue another being again in the righteous sense, i mean man, this girl just got off antidepressives, has a new bf and is trying to keep it real and stay on her two feet without pills, along with her crazy mother etc. ...me and that girl really dig eachother, so far and i would be and idiot to spoil that with sex right now cos i'm enjoying every minute i spent talking to her, i always wanted this...imagine all the bad carma i would have to polish if i flee off screwing someone, and i'm not saying this cos i'd be afraid of bad karma, it's just my sense, i've done that, more than once and it just didn't work out cos i gotta do one thing first, and that's try to somehow communicate in the working way with my gf.

I'm thankfull my friend Myoho that u've brought all this up, as i've gained a lot from the past 2 weeks of daily experiences

he Rooster crows in the morning, the birds chirp amongst each other, the dog barks at the mailman, and we chant for enlightenment!
Exactly how i've been thinking and feeling when i was thinking about nature, or chanting within :)

Brother i'm gonna roll us a Fatty after our first daimoku;)

On saturday we'r leaving to Zagreb to meet up with our Croatian friends and help them start their Lotus center, i'm having mixed feelings about doing this, but nothing is stopping me either way, how will i ever know what i want to know if i don't try?

screw stereotypes i say!

There's a LOT of little things that make me happier every day lately, but there sure is a big mountain always besides, but i can't resist from wondering what's behind that mountain, you know?

PTD: you've unleashed a monster, bwhahahaha! I thank you for that from the deepest meadows of my respect, you are the Lion Heart of the Chanting Growers and no matter what, i feel like you'r always here, guarding The Mystical Law somehow, somewhere. Positive vibes for your Pc fan bro ;)

Desi, Bonzo and others that i don't remember right now, if you'r dwelling around please stop by, u'r presence makes reality wider

Babbas

I just got a warm feeling allover whenever i read your posts or look your garden photos, a shining star!

If i look back friends, wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwww, there are number of years that we've been togheter, some even back on the OG, and it warms my heart when i think about all we've shared on these threads, no matter where i am YOU are always beside. It's been really a pleasure

i'm actually tired after typing all this, i'll pet myself with a cousin of yours PTD, doobie!:joint:

i bow in the obsience guys and girls

~Nam~Myoho~Renge~Kyo~​

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

... and I see Desi has been on the site and hope he is well. We miss you Desi!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I'm with you on that one Brother! I tried typing this same post last night and got blinked and then blocked. I couldn't get on after many many tries. That scared the shit out of me!

I got in two hours of Daimoku for each of the last three days prior to yesterday, four in yesterday, and already three today. Why the hell WOULDN'T the Devil of the Sixth Heaven fuck with me? In addition, last night I read outloud for two hours from the Gosho, The Opening of the Eyes, for my members (with extemporaneous commentary of course).

I miss DESI! I miss Hitman!! I miss SoCal!!! I miss Bonzo!!!! I can only prayer for you all!

And I do.

I bow in humble obeisance (nice posts, everyone!)

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I posted the above and then went to my email account and got the alert of the post that Desi has deleted. For anyone not paying attention, at least know that he is OK!

And Desi, you HAVE to know (and I know you know!) that Easy and I love you! You can't be anything but clear on that. But I also think you know that we are both stone cold, devout, disciples of Nichiren Daishonin.

The Daishonin says his advent was not just for the purpose of revealing Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, but specifically to also create the Gohonzon: "The Object of Devotion for Observing the Mind Established in the Fifth Five-Hundred-Year Period after the Thus Come One’s Passing." *

Remember that "Daishonin" means "Great Sage" or "Great Teacher". That means Nichiren's advent was for a specific purpose which was to leave for us more than just a teaching, but rather, an identity. He specifically said MANY times and these have been posted--over and over in some cases--in this thread, that to not admonish those incorrectly perceiving the truth is to fail them--is to treat them with the antithesis of love.

The Lotus Sutra no longer has power in the Latter Day of the Law. That is why we do not revere the 'Myoho-renge-kyo' of the Lotus Sutra and instead revere the 'Nam-myoho-renge-kyo' of Nichiren's Teachings. To hold onto his teachings as a source of strength and commitment of faith, as you did in taking the WND to the hospital with you is noble, admirable, pure, and absolutely correct in spirit and practice my Brother. I love you for it!

To hold his teachings as dearly as one might show an object of worship shows your deep sincerity. However this is NOT how NICHIREN INSTRUCTED US TO PRACTICE. That's the only reason Easy and I say anything. FOR SURE IT IS THE ONLY REASON I DO!!!

Do you think I don't understand what you are going through? You're wrong. The Gohonzon communicates a sense of you and what you might feel all the time to me. It may just be me being full of shit, but quite a bond of compassion and connection exists in my heart for you.

Some day, when you achieve what we keep encouraging you to make your number one desire in life--to recieve your own Gohonzon--I know you will not only embrace everything we have been saying, you will encourage others likewise using your own experience to do so. You have a very big mission for kosen-rufu Desi, and you will not accomplish that mission without accepting the Daishonin's admonishment to embrace the Gohonzon. How could one encourage others to devote their lives to the Daishonin's teachings and then not follow them?

And you are NEVER outside looking in dude! You are a chanting grower! That's all you need to be to be here. The SGI is not a part of this thread and we are not a part of the SGI. However, many of us support the SGI with great vigor which we share here. However to be part of the SGI is not required to be here so how could you ever be outside looking in?

Rediculous low life condition BS brother. We love you! We calls them likes we sees them. We do so because the Daishonin says as his disciples we have no choice in the matter, unless we want to break our vow. We choose not to do that. Why take it personally? Wouldn't you want me to speak the truth, if it is Nichiren's teachings defining what that truth is? Would anyone really reading this thread do so because they seek to compound or further their suffering and delusion?

I can only speak for myself, but I hope in your heart you can understand that I say nothing to EVER demean you. You have the WND. It's all right there. Keep reading.

I bow in humble obeisance wishing you all happiness and fulfillment!

Thomas

*[ http://www.sgilibrary.org/view.php?page=354 ]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam myoho renge kyo
We all have much love for Desi :) We want only the best for our friends!! Look at all the cool knowledge everyone is gaining through this !!! cooooool beans guys :)
Nam myoho renge kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If one cannot find the will to chant abundant Daimoku, then one must at least have within, the earnest desire to do so. I trust you are doing your best SoCal. You can do it!

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"A Persian saying goes: 'A grateful dog is better than an ungrateful man.' Mr. Toda sternly warned against ingratitude. And the German philosopher Immanuel Kant (1724-1804) wrote: 'The devilish vices have a degree of wickedness that goes far beyond the human, and we include among them the following three: envy, ingratitude, and malice.'

"Kant was the philosopher whose writings Mr. Makiguchi read right up to his last days in prison. Mr. Toda also frequently quoted Kant.

"Envy disrupts the harmonious body of practitioners. Ingratitude destroys the realm of Buddhism. When I stepped down as Soka Gakkai president (in 1979), there were malicious forces that turned on us in enmity, resentful and envious of the astonishing growth the Soka Gakkai was achieving. A stern fate awaits the corrupt and degenerate. Those who look on silently and pretend not to see wrongdoing when it is being committed will regret their inaction forever.

"If our organisation is led astray by corrupt influences and loses the spirit of compassion and the spirit of mentor and disciple, it will no longer be a Buddhist organisation. This came close to happening once, and we must absolutely ensure that such a situation never arises again. I say this for the sake of the future.

"Let's move forwards with enthusiasm and energy! Nothing makes me happier than seeing all of you in high spirits."

SGI Newsletter No. 7739, 27TH SOKA GAKKAI HEADQUARTERS LEADERS MEETING--PART 2 [OF 2], Building Bridges for Peace, from the March 10th, 2009, issue of the Seikyo Shimbun, translated March 19th, 2009

Payaso

Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

I posted a letter by snail mail today to the BOG and his Mrs...letting them know of the love and encouragement I am experiencing here in the group. I told them to expect me showing up to see them sometime in April when the Spring has sprung, and the grass has riz(en).

By then my turn at parent sitting will rotate to the next family person who is eager to take over for awhile and bask in the love that is my parents. Fortunately there are a lot of us in this family of Scotsmen and women.

Chanted for over an hour today, and that was sitting waiting in doctor's offices and waiting rooms. Fortunately no one noticed, or was bothered by it. Perhaps more folks do this than we realize! I found the strength afterwards to complete six difficult tasks with amazing speed and success.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Now, how do I get a message across to my parents about eating so much meat? It is distressing to have to cook and serve them such foods, although I do it happily for them, yet wonder why? My vegetarian lifestyle in California seems so far away at this time, and making my own meals alongside their meaty ones is time-consuming...perhaps I should not complain and just let them be? here? now?

Many years ago I was blessed to bounce into and listen to Baba Ram Das, which ultimately led me to Buddha. I know not where he is now, nor what he teaches lately, but I have an audio recording of him speaking back in the '70s which I would like to share. As soon as I can figure it out I will post it here as a link to the audio file - if anyone is interested in something non-Nichiren...I do not wish to detract from these teachings.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Envy, ingratitude, and malice, definitely some things to watch out for. It is all to easy to fall into such a headspace in today's interesting world.

"Let's move forwards with enthusiasm and energy! Nothing makes me happier than seeing all of you in high spirits." Thank you Mr. Kant...

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Desiderata

Bodhisattva of the Earth
Veteran
"Gratitude is First!"

"Gratitude is First!"

Hey Everybody!

First of all I am so grateful to have you all as friends who truly care about my well being! I've been chanting for all of you first before me. Payaso and Scegy have been my beacons of spiritual light that have given me goosebumps of inspiration. ptd has been most unbelievable in his magnitude of expressing his compassion and heart towards me......Babba's and Easy's care and concern for my spiritual welfare about brings me too my knees by my own weakness of here lately.

These are uncertain and pressing times. I'm trying to teach myself a brand new way of living it as you most forgiving ones have supported me through my illness, physical & spiritual.

I can be a mess one day in everyway, lack courage big time on a dime, and be grand the next. I know the Gohonzon brings everything into B A L A N C E....

E

EasyMyohoDisco

It's not easy

It's not easy

I've heard alot of bullshit (still do in alot of places) and have definately seen a lot of bullshit (most of which I've be a part of) and I know deep down inside what keeps us away from the Gohonzon. It is simply fundamental darkness that we carry from the womb to the tomb, yet with Gohonzon, and in my opinion, only with Gohonzon can we take up the vow that we made countless/endless lifetimes ago and begin to expiate our 'negative' karma and continue to build foundations of kosen-rufu, happiness and keep doing shakubuku. Chanting, Shakubuku and more Chanting.

This practice only has one rule, Chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! Everything else comes after that, but like Thomas eloquently pointed out, without the Gohonzon we cannot practice correctly because Myoho-renge-kyo! is nothing but words that lead us to the Gohonzon. The Gohonzon is the true embodiment of Nichiren Daishonin and our Buddhanature and Nam-myoho-renge-kyo! is the backbone so to speak. So that is why I also continue to encourage Desi to just accept Gohonzon and move forward with Gohonzon.

The reasons I have seen in my personal life as to why people do not open their Butsudan doors, lose interest in chanting, or wonder why bad things happen to them without end even with the Gohonzon is because as Humans we are chemically and mentally more willing to hold onto lies, our shallow understanding, and all the comforts of the saha (endurance) world that we constantly revel in instead of the truth and true absolute happiness derived from our diligent practice. I keep telling myself everyday, "Keep it real and keep the daimoku flowing", I fuck up so much it isnt even funny, but sticking to the guidelines of practicing this Buddhism correctly, found on this thread, is in my opinion the fast-track and correct-track to meaningful success in faith.

So what if you want to take it easy and take it slow, that is entirely up to you at every moment of your life. But how could a friend keep letting another friend live in the lower worlds of hell, hunger and animality for the rest of his or her days? Thus we are not only friends on this thread but spiritual companions. Sometimes you push me there and sometimes I try and help you get there, but always we have common ground as Bodhisattvas of the Earth despite differences in sex, age, background, finances, etc. We are a team goddamnit and a damn good team!

So many times I've written so many things that I feel, have been ignored or worse slandered, that I have taken offense to and ended up diminishing my progress as a result. But I'm a fucking fighter, I don't give up. Especially on this site, Babba knows, it has been my destiny to take part in shakubuku on this thread! I encouraged Bonz to join the thread from another website because he was seeking the Gohonzon like many of us at some point in his life. Then I realized that I was also encouraged by Babba for the same thing and I can only be grateful eternally for everything him and his wife have done for me and my lady time and time again. Babba never ultimately quit on me, and I have not ultimately quit on myself and we continue to thrive upon the common ground we share on this thread.

That is why I became an active member in the SGI, I did it for Nichiren Daishonin, not for Ikeda, not for my momma, not for anyone but me and The Daishonin. That's it. Although that is not so simple, because this is not a Blind faith we practice this is more a relative of Mugi Wasshin or Doubt-Free Faith!

I volunteer sometimes because I am a vital part of kosen-rufu and it is my duty to Protect The Gohonzon and Protect The Practicioners of this Buddhism and even the wacky individuals that intimidate or may try and sway us sometimes because they ultimately have a Buddhanature too. That is why I've been as quick to the draw to call anyone out on slander upon our faith, practice on the thread time and time again. I never hope I made another member feel shitty about anything especially Desi, or Georgia or anyone else for that matter. I'm just being me and that's all I can be!

Gohonzon is a tool that I need to go use right now. I gotta tap into my Buddhahood and keep walking the walk.

I hope my message makes some sort of sense and helps someone somehow. That is the main reason why I continue to be a part of this thread. This is the longest diary I ever kept and lucky for me, a diary I can't throw away so easily. Life to life connections via copious verbiage.

Wishing everyone the best! Keep going friends I know I'm not stopping!

P.S.- Socal buddy where are ya? Should I be worried man, I don't think so because with all the great karma we recently built surely we are both protected as long as we continue valiantly (or in a more meager fashion if appropriate). Let's chant at the same time, as soon as you read this post open up the doors and join me! Same to you Bonzo and every other chanting grower!

Payaso

Veteran
High Desi! Glad to see you! I hope you are feeling better. I have been around folks who have gone thru this, and I am trying very hard to never get to that place myself. My Mom gave me wonderful genetics also ;) Battling high blood pressure for 20 years now and doing what I can to stay away from surgeons.

Chanting certainly helps. An hour here and there seems to work wonders for me, but I can't prescribe it for others...I just know it works somehow. As I grow into more understanding perhaps I too will be ready for Gohonzon. But not yet, there is so much to learn and I am grateful to this thread for showing me the way.

Peace, and Love and Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just for the record, all comments pertaining to "receiving the Gohonzon" have been directed to and specifically for Desi. Desi decided to recieve Gohonzon years ago and still is being stopped by an obstacle not of his own choosing. For clarity, the issue has never been one of Desi being opposed to receiving Gohonzon. The point I made was for him, and while the encouragement is a valid one for all, I did not mean to imply that one must receive the Gohonzon to chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. I started chanting and received many benefits before I knew Nam-myoho-renge-kyo even pertained to Buddhism, let alone the Teachings of Nichiren Daishonin.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.