What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonzo

Veteran
Hmmm

Hmmm

PassTheDoobie said:
lessening one's karmic retribution
[転重軽受] (Jpn tenju-kyoju )

The principle that one can experience the effects of bad karma from the past to a lesser degree because of Buddhist faith and practice. In general, Buddhism attributes one's present sufferings to one's past actions or causes that remain in one's life as karma, asserting that one must suffer the effect of every negative cause made in the past. The Mahaparinirvana Sutra, Fa-hsien's Chinese translation of the Nirvana Sutra, states, however, "It is due to the blessings obtained by protecting the Law that they can diminish in this lifetime their suffering and retribution." This passage suggests that, due to the benefits accumulated through faith and practice, one can diminish in terms of both time and intensity negative karmic retribution that would otherwise torment one harshly over a longer period, even several lifetimes. Nichiren (1222-1282) states in his writing Lessening One's Karmic Retribution: "If one's heavy karma from the past is not expiated within this lifetime, one must undergo the sufferings of hell in the future, but if one experiences extreme hardship in this life [because of the Lotus Sutra], the sufferings of hell will vanish instantly. And when one dies, one will obtain the blessings of the human and heavenly worlds, as well as those of the three vehicles and the one vehicle" (WND/199). According to this principle, Buddhist faith and practice may cause one suffering and hardship, but will relieve one of the hellish suffering that is one's due.

Hello again my friends!

Wow T, this is a tough one for me to get ahold of. I get it but its hard for me to put into words how i feel it applies to me cause it does in a big way i think. I know this for sure, i feel blessed to be alive, everyday is precious, i know i have said this before how i used to think i was dealt a "bad hand" in life, i know that through faith ,practice and study that that is a bunch of bull. I also feel that through this i am so much more aware of pain and suffering and the obstacles that everyone faces in everyday life, the thing is im so aware now that my life and my choices are and were mine and mine alone, i made alot of mistakes, but i take full responsibilty for them, as well as to face the and turn poison into medicine rather than just blame the world for my petty little problems, more bull!

So i think im tryin to say Buddhist practist doesnt cause me great suffering, rather makes me aware of why my pain and suffering is occuring and to take the action to take care of it the best i know how. Get real honest with myself. I think this is where my faith and Buddha nature must be as strong as possible, srengthened everyday, cause sh!t happens everyday. So......

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So im going through a bit of the sh!t so.....

everyday 2,3,4. heck as much as i can possibly do everyday!

oh boy im ramblin i know but while im at it i have to add that just because im going through the sh!t now does'nt mean i chant my ass off just to wade out of it and then stop, no no no, still chant everyday even when im totally sh!t free! Oh no! as i sad above, daily, everyday, strengthining and solidifying my faith so when these obstacles that can create pain and suffering come my way i am as ready as i possibly can be to face them head on with a crazy huge foundation of faith to giude me through without fear but instead with a great anticipation of what lies on the other side.

I know i went off topic here to a degree but thats what just popped out.

Please T, clarify where i strayed and point me to the focus of that post and all others for that matter cause heck im here to learn dagburnit!!!

wait i need to post another post

Bonzo

Veteran
PassTheDoobie said:
"The first shi of the word shishi, or 'lion' [which means 'teacher'], is the Wonderful Law that is passed on by the teacher. The second shi [which means 'child'] is the Wonderful Law as it is received by the disciples. The 'roar' is the sound of the teacher and the disciples chanting in unison."

(Ongi kuden - Gosho Zenshu, page 748, The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, page 111) Selection source: "Kyo no Hosshin", Seikyo Shimbun, November 7th, 2007

I was loking for the post on friends learning and growing together as not being part of Buddhism but Buddhism itself. But this one fits as well i think eh?

oh boy.

peace and love

bonz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bonzo

Veteran
PassTheDoobie said:
Ananda, one of Shakyamuni Buddha's closest disciples, once asked him: "It seems to me that by having good friends and advancing together with them, one has already halfway attained the Buddha way. Is this way of thinking correct?"

Shakyamuni replied, "Ananda, this way of thinking is not correct. Having good friends and advancing together with them is not half the Buddhist way but all the Buddhist way."

This may seem surprising, as Buddhism is often viewed as a solitary discipline in which other people might be seen as more of a hindrance than a help. However, to polish and improve our lives ultimately means to develop the quality of our interpersonal relationships--a far more challenging task than any solitary discipline. Our practice of Buddhism only finds meaning within the context of these relationships.

From another perspective, given that Buddhist practice of polishing and aiming to improve our lives from within is a constant challenge and a difficult process, it is only natural that we need support from others also dedicated to walking a correct path in life, trying also to create value in their lives.

SGI President Daisaku Ikeda has written, "Having good friends is like being equipped with a powerful auxiliary engine. When we encounter a steep hill or an obstacle, we can encourage each other and find the strength to keep pressing forward." And as Nichiren (1222--1282) wrote: "Even a feeble person will not stumble if those supporting him are strong, but a person of considerable strength, when alone, may lose his footing on an uneven path..."

In Nichiren Buddhism, good friends are known as zenchishiki or good influences, while akuchishiki refers to bad influences. People affect each other in subtle and complex ways, and it is important to develop the ability to discern the nature of that influence. According to Buddhism, "bad" friends are those who encourage our weaknesses. In Nichiren's words: "Evil friends are those who, speaking sweetly, deceiving, flattering and making skillful use of words, win the hearts of the ignorant and destroy their goodness of mind."

Even when intentions are good, the degree of our positive influence on each other will vary. Tsunesaburo Makiguchi, founder of the Soka Gakkai, used the following illustration. Say you have a friend who needs a certain amount of money. Giving your friend the money they need is an act of small good, while helping them find a job is an act of medium good. However, if your friend is really suffering because of a basic tendency toward laziness, then constantly helping him or her out may only perpetuate negative habits. In this case, true friendship is helping that person change the lazy nature that is the deep cause of their suffering.

A truly good friend is someone with the compassion and courage to tell us even those things we would prefer not to hear, which we must confront if we are to develop and grow in our lives.

Ultimately, however, whether people are good or evil influences in our lives is up to us. In Buddhist terms, the best kind of zenchishiki is one who leads us to strengthen our own faith and practice in order to thoroughly transform our karma. To quote Nichiren again, "the best way to attain Buddhahood is to encounter a zenchishiki, or good friend." Further, Nichiren comments that Devadatta, the cousin of Shakyamuni who tried to kill him and divide the Buddhist order, was "the foremost good friend to Thus Come One Shakyamuni. In this age as well, it is not one's allies, but one's powerful enemies who assist one's progress."

This expresses a key concept in Buddhism. Due to the immense transformative powers of Buddhist practice, even "bad" friends can have a good influence if we make our relationships with them into opportunities to examine, reform and strengthen our lives. The ideal is ultimately to develop the kind of all-encompassing compassion expressed by Nichiren when he wrote that his first desire was to lead to enlightenment the sovereign who had persecuted him, repeatedly exiling and even attempting to behead him.

[ Courtesy January 2004 SGI Quarterly ]

This post, the very top in bold, i dont know how to quote just one or two paragraphs.

whew! that took a long time! :)

bonz :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Bonz!

Hey Bonz!

Bonzo said:
Please T, clarify where i strayed and point me to the focus of that post and all others for that matter cause heck im here to learn dagburnit!!!

Dude, give me a second and I'll get back to you on that!

T

E

EasyMyohoDisco

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!!!

whats up everyone, great dialouge going on, we met a new shakubuku this weekend at a birthday party and she invited herself to our next couple meetings, I have mentioned I was not diligently attending meetings (nor really picking up the phone anymore) I feel like Gohonzon is pushing me towards working harder on my Bodhisattva Practice, because daimoku even feels crisper and better with new comrades within an arms length. My younger buddy Christopher should be attending another meeting within the next couple weeks and as soon as I get enough money to start up my next flowering session we'll be back at work trying to grow some more good fortune.

Despite the shitty feelings lurking about, I sincerely make a written determination to overcome all obstacles and finish the year with 8 total shakubukus that receive Gohonzon helping me become debt free.

Don't be Afraid. Don't be Defeated. Faith! Victory of Gold!

Bonzo

Veteran
Yo T, Im sorry if i sounded like it had to be done yesterday, take your time dude! I just get carried away a bit when i start typing, things just keep comin', no pressure my Brother =:)

Yo EASY! :) Dang good to see you!!! So glad you have some one to chant with bro, to me that is where its all at, gives me such encouragement and, well, i just feel happier. So good for you and Christopher, im stoked for the both of ya. Glad your Daimoku is crisp and clear, so glad to hear it, i think with that focus you cant lose!

Keep doin what you do EASY! and DANG GOOD TO SEE YOU!!!!!! =:)

Peace, love and deepest respect my Brother

bonz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Must be alot of chanting going on!! I see alot of buddhanature hanging out. Woooop !! We have come a long way friends.
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Easy !!! wow 8 shakabukus this year. Amazing brother. Thanks so much for all your positive work!!! wooop I told ya we were rockin!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
PS: With my back all messed up and everything else we have going on around here, I forgot to tell everyone that......

Once again, the fat lady has sung! Hell we crossed the finish line on our financial challenge ten days ago and I kept forgetting to share that good news with you all. It happened within a week of the back injury, so pain kind of had ahold of my focus for awhile there.

Once again our prayers were answered! I am so grateful for this obstacle that motivated my wife and I to chant so many hours together! The solution happened so gradually we couldn't appreciate that it was happening before our eyes. The wife's faith has grown leaps and bounds and I am thrilled to have her gain so much confidence in the power of our practice.

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Much love and deepest respect!

Thomas

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Bonz!

Hey Bonz!

Bonzo said:
I think those thoughts may be holding me back. He is who he is and i am who i am, the envy has to go!!

So when you ended this post with those two sentences, there was nothing for me to add because you already know what you need to do. Remember that ones past or even current conduct has nothing to do with whether one receives benefit in the intitial stages of faith. This guy could have been a lot worse than you describe and still, as soon as he starts chanting, you are admonished by Nichiren Daishonin to afford him the same respect you would a Buddha.

Maybe that's hard to do, but according to my Eternal Master, that is the correct way to mitigate the part of your karma that he is reflecting back as a tweek to your sensibilities. If you want to have the fortune of not having to work for a living, the place to start is by NOT having feelings of envy or jealousy towards those who already have it that way.

Cause and effect is absolute. Financial fortune does not constitute good fortune. Not working for a living is not "better" than working. Every life experience in the Saha world is relative to the life condition it is experienced in. There is no static place of shelter that is assured by a particular social status.

As we all know, happiness comes from within, and can be abundant in terrible conditions and absent in excellent ones. Like you said, "He is who he is and i am who i am, the envy has to go!!"

T

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Bonz!

Hey Bonz!

Nichiren (1222-1282) states in his writing Lessening One's Karmic Retribution: "If one's heavy karma from the past is not expiated within this lifetime, one must undergo the sufferings of hell in the future, but if one experiences extreme hardship in this life [because of the Lotus Sutra], the sufferings of hell will vanish instantly. And when one dies, one will obtain the blessings of the human and heavenly worlds, as well as those of the three vehicles and the one vehicle" (WND/199). According to this principle, Buddhist faith and practice may cause one suffering and hardship, but will relieve one of the hellish suffering that is one's due.

Bonzo said:
So i think im tryin to say Buddhist practist doesnt cause me great suffering, rather makes me aware of why my pain and suffering is occuring and to take the action to take care of it the best i know how. Get real honest with myself. I think this is where my faith and Buddha nature must be as strong as possible, srengthened everyday, cause sh!t happens everyday. So......

" three obstacles and four devils
[三障四魔] (Jpn sansho-shima )

Various obstacles and hindrances to the practice of Buddhism. They are listed in the Nirvana Sutra and The Treatise on the Great Perfection of Wisdom. The three obstacles are (1) the obstacle of earthly desires, or obstacles arising from the three poisons of greed, anger, and foolishness; (2) the obstacle of karma, obstacles due to bad karma created by committing any of the five cardinal sins or ten evil acts; and (3) the obstacle of retribution, obstacles caused by the negative karmic effects of actions in the three evil paths. In a letter he addressed to the Ikegami brothers in 1275, Nichiren states, "The obstacle of earthly desires is the impediments to one's practice that arise from greed, anger, foolishness, and the like; the obstacle of karma is the hindrances presented by one's wife or children; and the obstacle of retribution is the hindrances caused by one's sovereign or parents" (WND/501).The four devils are (1) the hindrance of the five components, obstructions caused by one's physical and mental functions; (2) the hindrance of earthly desires, obstructions arising from the three poisons; (3) the hindrance of death, meaning one's own untimely death obstructing one's practice of Buddhism, or the premature death of another practitioner causing one to doubt; and (4) the hindrance of the devil king, who is said to assume various forms or take possession of others in order to cause one to discard one's Buddhist practice. This hindrance is regarded as the most difficult to overcome. T'ient'ai (538-597) states in Great Concentration and Insight: "As practice progresses and understanding grows, the three obstacles and four devils emerge in confusing form, vying with one another to interfere.... One should be neither influenced nor frightened by them. If one falls under their influence, one will be led into the paths of evil. If one is frightened by them, one will be prevented from practicing the correct teaching."

So the fact that obstacles (suffering and hardship) may occur, to varying degrees, as a RESULT of deciding to practice is an acknowledged reality. One is seeking enlightenment. Of course it's not going to be easy. Ask SoCal! Ask Bud! Ask Easy! ALL of us have faced difficulties. This reality is what that passage is referring to.

Your perspective is one reflective of faith and the correct view of a Bodhisattva of the Earth.

T

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Hi everyone!!!

Hi everyone!!!

Been out of this loop for quite some time and I apologize. Looks like about 20 pgs to get caught up and there is no way I can do that right now. Moved last month and havent' had the net at all; trying to use this as a good experience but don't think that my ichinen and prayers are not all with you. Let's all ***cking kick some 'Devil of the Sixth' right here right now!!!

"I have a mission, mine alone; you too have a mission only you can fulfill."

(J. Toda or D. Ikeda) sorry, I forgot at the moment :wave: :headbange

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Worthy persons deserve to be called so because they are not carried
away by the eight winds: prosperity, decline, disgrace, honor, praise,
censure, suffering, and pleasure. They are neither elated by
prosperity nor grieved by decline. The heavenly gods will surely
protect one who is unbending before the eight winds. But if you nurse
an unreasonable grudge against your lord, they will not protect you,
not for all your prayers.

(WND, 794)
The Eight Winds
Written to Shijo Kingo in 1277

Bonzo

Veteran
HaHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU T!!! =:) I knew you would handle that one with ease! (or those) i should say. You know i been thinkin about goin back to school, i dont know yet, but these last posts have made me think about it. I allready hsve a trade and its what i see myself doing till i retire (Carpentry) but i might want to add a lil somethin to that, cause like i said my gut and heart tell me i need to be helping people so i have something in mind for the future, maybe not so distant future as well! We'll see! By the way big Congrats to you and your wife, and the whole T clan =:),im so glad your wife's faith has deepened through this time, not to mention your good fortune!!!!! Wooooooo Hooooooooo!!!!!!!

SoCal? SoCal!! =:) Well ill be dangit, Wooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooo!!!!! Man its good to know all is well with ya!!!!!! and so bitchen to have you postin' again!!! I'm just blown away!!! he he he!!!! Woooooooooo Hooooooo!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Looks to be the start of a great day!!!

peace, love and deepest respect my all my Brothers!!! =:)

bonz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Nam myoho renge kyo!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:
G

here are people that really know how to live within as i can see.
i'm gonna take a look what is all about. i am a spiritual person and opened to everything.
i just hope that it's not like; chanting is the only way... i would love to chant, i hope there aren't too much rules, whit this chanting thing...

sorry for spamming. i will start to read from the first post now.

i like all this reading about life and live it... see ya soon i think!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
SoCal Hippy said:
To mix other practices with this Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is a grave error.
A lantern is useless when the sun rises. How can dewdrops be
beneficial when the rain falls? Should one feed a newborn baby anything
other than its mother's milk? No addition of other medicines is needed
with a good medicine.

(WND, 903)
The Teaching for the Latter Day
Written to Nanjo Tokimitsu on April 1, 1278

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

scegy

hello friends!

hey T, i read that ur reasambling ur back, how is it going? I had a similar touch with my "wife", it's great to see NMRK work it's way in our beloved.

bonzo! i must say i've taken school because i want more connections and more knowledge, and i haven't regret my dicission, sure it sucks sometimes but u know, it's for a greater good, don't stop, keep moving!

as for me, i'm still fighting my fears and insecurity in others, my gf is a great help to me as she knows sometimes better what she's doing then i am in this whole relationship. my past perspective on love is finally falling apart, slowly but it surely is. and by that i'm sailing towards unknown, again i'm trying not to follow my patterns in my head that tell me i should be somewhere else dealing with other shit....but the reality is...shit is everywhere so i better use my time for solving this shit then looking for another, or else......;)

simple and cruel

good day ppl, lot's of love towards ya!

p.s. Peaceful mind

keep on reading, keep on questioning, you will find u'r way, i can feel it!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"'In adversity, it is necessary to cry out, "Hope! Hope! And yet again hope!"' -- this was the message that the French writer Victor Hugo sent from his place of exile to his compatriots who were suffering under an oppressive regime. No matter how adverse the circumstances, as long as we have hope, we can never be defeated; as long as we have hope, we can keep moving forwards.

SGI Newsletter No. 7387, LEARNING FROM THE GOSHO: THE HOPE-FILLED WRITINGS OF NICHIREN DAISHONIN <NEW SERIES> [1] "The Drum at the Gate of Thunder," "It Is the Heart That Is Important"--Continuously Strive to Deepen and Strengthen the Bonds of Mentor and Disciple, Foreword to the New Lecture Series, translated Nov. 7th, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.