This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pondering along

how bout another question here for those 'enlightened' ones here or any others wishing to contribute.

Toda once said that "`Nam myoho renge kyo is the sum and essence of my being!"

and he also said, "The ultimate shakubuku is to determine that one's life itself is Nam myoho renge kyo"

What does that mean to you?
    SoCal

Comment

Vinnie Barbarino???

Who is that?
      SoCal

Comment

Sincere Response

And I too loved what you wrote So CAl. I had someone ask me, would they be any less of a buddhist if they didn't know all the study. And my response to that is no way. I think as people, especially ones who pull together as in SGI, you are people and have different strengths. A group would be strong with diamoku, one would be strong with study, one would be strong with activities....our personalities of who we are come into play and pull it all together. Not all of us have those strengths. However, any sincere prayer made by chanting NamMyohoRengeKyo will not go unanswered. That was the purpose of Nichiren Diashoin creating NamMyohoRengeKyo, so all could become enlightened. So the umbrella is there for all who seek this truth. One who has been practicing for many years does not have any more fortune than one who has just started. Your heart, your sincereity, your attitude is what makes it powerful, not years. The more you try to learn and understand of course the more powerful your faith etc, but that is the beauty of this practice. Your level of success and growth is individual and totally up to you. Just my thought I had to put out there. SG

Comment

Get Out of Here So CAl!

Do you not remember when John Travolta played Vinnie Barbarino on Welcome Back Kotter. He and that other geak always jumping up and down in class, with their hand up ? Please tell me you remember that? I know I'm one of the younger ones here! I hope!

Comment

Moment Perpetual INFINITE

Just got back from running Max through the woods on a rare warm, sunny day in Indiana. Just me n' Max alone with no one else around, enjoying sights, sounds, and smells which have remained the same for thousands of years (without any "help" from our own ravenous, destructive species). Seeing how everything was naturally preparing itself for the Winter months, the same as it had long before any man came on the scene, struck me with awe and reverance. while Max sniffed around in his own world, I sat down on a sun-warmed rock and slowly began my first chant of the day. I started chanting softly, not wanting to disturb the order of things in that spot, but very soon felt a realization of the chant synchronizing itself with all the natural sounds around me. I began to chant louder and it fit in quite well with the sounds of my surroundings; and sitting on that warm rock, I was one with the woods and the woods was one with me. I belonged there. My most spiritual chanting session to date. It took my thought process to a new high.

"Each MOMENT contains the potential of each of the 3000 realms. The ENDLESS stream of dependent origination. PERPETUAL. INFINITE." (taken from earlier post)

To my way of thinking, all of the words capitalized above are one in the same. How can one define a "moment"? Does one last for a second? for a nano-second? for an instant? A "moment" is an invention of man, created for his convenience. For any length of time a moment is described as, that length can further be divided into an infinite number of other "moments". This is why a moment cannot be accurately defined in terms understandable to us. Like the infinite, even a "moment" has no beginning and no end. So a moment not only contains the POTENTIAL of each of the 3000 realms, it definitely contains enough time for all 3000 realms, an infinite number of times over.

Question: How can the mystic laws of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, a truth with no beginning and no end, be QUANTIFIED in any form of time or space? Doctrines here, as in other faiths of man, all seem centered around base-10 numbers, with Buddhism also particularly fond of laws and truths described in multiples of the number 3. Perhaps the study of laws, doctrines, and truths may be more easily conveyed and proliferated by this application of LIMITS, but I have to admit here, accepting these limits as they've been written over the ages, will be my toughest hurdle in coming to better understand the requirements of achieving total enlightenment. Are these quantities actual TRUTH, or simply the best method a mortal man now has to convey an understanding of actual truth to another mortal man? Though my faith in the power of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo is now stronger than it has ever been in this lifetime, please help me to understand the purpose, the need, for all these limited quantities in a limitless continuum of time, space, and energy. Could there be a logical reason or a power of karma which created this train of thought in me during my session of chanting in the woods today?

Scared shitless, but staying strong with the program,

GordyP
            Find the good, and praise it

Comment

Regarding Toda

Toda was my favorite leader. His history and trials. Just another time. But to me that means that you show with your life. When you chant and recieve benefit that you can show that is shakabuku with NamMyohoRengeKyo being the essence of who your are. Just as we do with each other in here. Your actions speak for who you are. We are not preaching and saying because it is, we show that if people chant they will recieve the same benefits as we do.

Comment

Note to SoCal

On behalf of S.G. and I, "Up your nose with a rubber hose!"

Comment

Gordy P!

WOW! I'm impressed and a little speechless. All I can say is you have nothing to be afraid of, its a great feeling to feel and know. Fear is the worst thing anyone can have. Just close your eyes and JUMP! I'm cheering you on. Southern Girl

Comment

Great questions!

(my opinions)

Gordy!

"A single moment of life" (ichinen) is also translated as one mind, one thought, or one thought-moment. (From the first para, pg 25, three thousand realms in a single moment of life.)

Per you question: Are these quantities actual TRUTH, or simply the best method a mortal man now has to convey an understanding of actual truth to another mortal man?

My answer: Both (with a little tweak on the second part). They are the "actual truth as well as the best method an 'enlightened' man has to convey an understanding to a mortal man." The words of a Buddha are always true and can never be false.

(I say this with no emotion.) Are you sure it is not your perception rather than this wisdom that is flawed? Just because you don't get it, doesn't mean it ain't got it. The way I approached it was that these guys were talking about a life-state they were referring to as 'enlightenment'. From the get go, I knew I was not that.

I decided from the beginning of my practice to embrace and accept all that I could learn from the wisdom of these Buddhas, and then reject what I was able to determine through my own life experience to be false. In 31 years, I have come to reject nothing. That's a pretty good batting average for the Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra.

Understand that the numbers come from a variety of sources. Quite a lot of them come from T'ien-t'ai's three major works and the tradition he created was carried on by his disciples of his teachings, such as Miao-lo. Of course the enlightened wisdom of the Law of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is infinite and therefore not capable of being constrained within limiting parameters. But the Laws demonstrated are real and the power emanating from those laws is real. It is preceptable and demonstrable.

The 'tens' and 'threes' serve their purpose to summarily advance our understanding of the essences of these teachings. The understanding is only valid with the relative clarity it provides in conjunction with the correct practice for attaining enlightenment in this lifetime, in this time period of Mappo (the Latter Day of the Law). According to Nichiren Daishonin, that is nothing other than chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo.

SoCal!

Toda once said that "`Nam myoho renge kyo is the sum and essence of my being!"

and he also said, "The ultimate shakubuku is to determine that one's life itself is Nam myoho renge kyo"

What does that mean to you? >>> Ha! Answer: Daisaku Ikeda!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo is the sum and essence of the eternal enlightenment of Nichiren Daishonin. Based on how much we have flamed to a roaring level the principle of 'Master and Disciple', we too have the potential to embody this sum and essence in the core of our lives. It is a circumstance of life-force and devotion, that I have yet to attain, but aspire to.

If you correctly determine that your life itself is Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, you are in a Buddha state, no matter how long it is you stay there. If you could stay there all of the time, your life would become a magnet for all who seek the Buddha Way. That is what happened to President Toda. He devoted his life to 'kosen-rufu' (world peace) because he perceived the true nature of all phenomena--Nam-myoho-renge-kyo--exists as life itself. When in such a Buddha state of total compassion, the tireless effort that one devotes their life to is the elimination of suffering through the propagation of the law. It is why a Buddha appears. Always.

And for no other reason.

T (just my opinion)
                    Last edited by PassTheDoobie; 10-25-2004, 05:11.
                    Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

What? Me Wise?

No, in no way did my chanting experience today provide me with any answers; only questions. If Nam-myoho-renge-kyo has taught me anything in this very VERY short period of chanting, though, it is I can be honest with you all with my nature and feelings without losing your respect or honesty in return. PTDoobie, you just confirmed that belief with your response to my questioning of "The Word". Be ready for a few more questions as this science-biased engineer continues down his path. No doubt many of those who came before me had similar questions as they started down their paths as well.

Much of this nit-picking comes down to the same "Science vs. Faith" paradox which has plagued us since man first looked up at the moon or fashioned tools to help himself deal with the world he found himself in. You say "moment" to help define an element of the essence of Buddhism, and I interpret "moment" as an immeasurable unit-less point in time according to the laws of physics. But then anyone would be hard-pressed to find anything in a physics textbook about the mystic laws of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo (that's because they're MYSTIC, Gordy!). I'm counting on you all to bear with me as the right and left sides of my brain toss this hot potato back and forth awhile.

But hey, even with all this shit bouncing around between my ears, IT'S A FACT that I feel more centered, human, but most of all...happy with myself since the days when my children were born. It's happening for me. I may have plenty of questions about how and why it's happening for me, but I'd be a fool to allow it to stop happening! Nam-myoho-renge-kyo to you all!

Your Brother,

GordyP

Comment

This is a fact

Gordy,

Your great honor is that no matter what you ask, someone else reading it but not posting, will get as much if not more out of the answer, as you do. You are doing shakubuku by just breathing and continuing to talk about it. very, very, very cool.....

Congratulations!

Brother T

(Who'd a thunk it after all these years?)
                        Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

How's StoneGirl Doin'?

So what's the word on the typhoon since this morning? StoneGirl and kids have been in my thoughts all day. Everybody safe?

Comment

"Science vs. Faith" paradox

(The stonegirls and Doobie Brothers are fine. The powers of your prayers created an unexpected and previously impossible cancellation of the event, saving serious resource over what would certainly have been a meagerly attended disaster instead of gala kick-off. Thank you!)

Oh, and as far as "Science vs. Faith" paradox bullshit? Bring it on. I'll kick your ass. If you won't expect to understand everything you hear, there is nothing without answer. Not in Nichiren Daishonin's Buddhism. Ask away! These are all just our opinions and perspectives from life experience, but it has been entertaining so far. I'm kinda diggin' it.

smiling,

Tommy
                            Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

The Main Event

submitted for your approval...

A twenty-first century Scopes Monkey Trial!

No thanks, I'm no Clarence Darrow. By the way, which side of the fence would Nichiren Daishonin have been on during that little piece of history: evolution or divine creation?

GordyP(eace)

Comment

That was fucking hilarious!

Spank that monkey!
                                Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

Comment

Working...
                                X