What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Which I guess was the purpose of what PTD just wrote and summized in his one or two s

Which I guess was the purpose of what PTD just wrote and summized in his one or two s

That phrase is what I wrote about for over an hour about, with absolute fluid clarity. It was so many things that got gathered into one outflow of a mystic nature that I believe only SoCal and SG could appreciate what I am talking about. I was in a zone. I spoke to all of you. I know what I said was correct. In the past two days since, I keep reading things out of the dictionary that had come to me that day before I had read them.

I know how Shariputra felt after plucking his eye out at the alms request of the Brahman. I couldn't possibly replicate what came from me. I was too exhausted by the end. And it was all lost over a smiley face!

But for the record, Gordy, I behaved like the person I should have, rather than the person you so cleverly suggested I might have been. Kudos to me. As SG has prophetically stated, you will find the humility that cause and effect bestows on those that need it. "Remember it when it comes back to you." (I'm smiling while I say that, but not for the reason you think I am)

And SoCal, for as many long posts as I have made here, I would think it obvious that what you suggested is exactly what I have already been doing for a very long time. The one I feel the most loss for is Natty. I think you could have gotten your head around a whole lot more. I will do my best to discuss the things that I feel are important.

SG! I am feeling it for your girl! I have goose bumps on my arms. You are there girl. Just fucking continue. DO NOT let your daimoku slip. It is key for you to develop a rhythm of steady contemplative prayer. Think through your relationship for those that you are "done" with, and have compassion for them. You must sincerely chant for their happiness, and mean it in your heart, to break the karmic cycle. It is clear you see it is there. Turn this obstacle into happiness.

I, too, am figuring out a lot of stuff right now….

Thomas

BOG, are you still with us? I found a specific explaination of the experience of your awakening. I mean nailed it. It is just as you knew it to be, another stage in the development of your enlightenment. I hope you are chanting as you said you would. Are you experienceing anything at all yet? Don't forget how much a post here occasionally will mean to us all. Thank you!

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
[B]I am with you all the way Southern Girl[/B]

I am with you all the way Southern Girl

Reading your last post it made me self-reflect so much! You can't believe how similar our paths are. Not necessarily the exact obstacles but just a whole bunch of shit had been in my life and the timing coinciding with yours. My practice had been on 'sabbatical' for just too long. Altho never believing I quit, but as a practicing boddhisatva, I just wasn't doing it. I have so much appreciation for our lifes now. So much has changed and so much more to do. My new journey has begun and I need you and everyone to help me keep on the correct path. We will do it together! Chew me out anytime you get that feeling I can take it and will need it as I continue. The Lotus Sutra and the Gosho are 2 things that give so much encouragement. I find myself more and more engulfed in absorbing these works. So profound! I am amazed all the time now. No more blur. :canabis:
Can't wait to see your total victory!

I love this Gosho (letter by Nichiren Daishonin) written to Shingo Kingo:

The Gosho "The Difficulty of Sustaining Faith"

THIS is in regard to the passage "This sutra is hard to uphold." According to Acharya Ben, you said to him: "I have been practicing the Lotus Sutra correctly since last year, when you told me that those who embrace this sutra will 'enjoy peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences.' Instead, however, great hard-ships have showered down on me like rain." Is this true, or did he give me a false report? In either case, I will take advantage of this opportunity to resolve any doubts you may have.

A passage from the Lotus Sutra reads that it is "the most difficult to believe and the most difficult to understand." Many hear about and accept this sutra, but when great obstacles arise, just as they were told would happen, few remember it and bear it firmly in mind. To accept is easy; to continue is difficult. But Buddhahood lies in continuing faith. Those who uphold this sutra should be prepared to meet difficulties. It is certain, however, that they will "quickly attain the unsurpassed Buddha way." To "continue" means to cherish Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, the most important principle for all the Buddhas of the three existences. The sutra reads, "We will protect and up-hold what the Buddha has entrusted to us." The Great Teacher T'ien-t'ai stated, "One accepts because of one's power of faith and continues because of one's power of constant thought." An-other part of the sutra reads, "This sutra is hard to uphold; if one can uphold it even for a short while I will surely rejoice and so will the other Buddhas."

A fire burns higher when logs are added, and a strong wind makes a kala-kula grow larger. The pine tree lives for ten thousand years, and therefore its boughs become bent and twisted. The votary of the Lotus Sutra is like the fire and the kalakula, while his persecutions are like the logs and the wind. The votary of the Lotus Sutra is the Thus Come One whose life span is immeasurable; no wonder his practice is hindered, just as the pine tree's branches are bent or broken. From now on, always remember the words "This sutra is hard to uphold."

With my deep respect, Nichiren
The sixth day of the third month in the twelfth year of Bun'ei (1275), cyclical sign kinoto-i

GordyP

Work, Work, Work . . .

Work, Work, Work . . .

Well, now what do I do? The specific good fortune which was a big part of my focus during chanting has now been officially realized. Friday was my final day working by the hour for a contract house, and tomorrow I start full-time salaried employment for a newly formed joint venture company! This means more money, guaranteed paid at a regular interval, more paid holidays, more paid vacation, much better health care coverage at a much, much lower rate, stock options, the list goes on and on . . .

The job is the same one I have now, but for new owners. No salaried and contract employee two-tier compensation schedule anymore. Everybody is classified and eligible for the same benefits. There'll be raises and bonuses! Now all we gotta do is invent something and sell a lot of them. :confused:

A month ago I was fully expecting to be a full-time employee again, but working a lot harder for a lot less money and benefits. This whole joint venture deal with my present company just came out of nowhere a few months ago and the deal is already signed and sealed, two months before anyone dared to imagine it would be completed. There wasn't even enough time for some good rumors to start about this deal before it was done! This is an especially good thing to happen for the 30 contract engineers working on this particular joint venture program. After years of continually being a day late and a dollar short, I finally got myself positioned in the right place at the right time. :biggrin:

Even my garden has finally taken off and is healthy and growing! Success of this first indoor grow also takes a few moments of most chant sessions. So now with thesesues apparently resolved, I've got more time to devote to the causes of this group. You are all in my thoughts and prayers each time I chant Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo, but now you can all count on just a bit more good fortune directed your way from an Indiana signal. This gig might last the rest of a career, or it might all move to Mexico in a few years. Right now I couldn't care less. With my wiring, it means a hell of a lot to me to have some job security and job benefits in my back pocket now, things I haven't had for a few years and had gotten used to. Gotta re-evaluate a lot of my values with this somewhat significant life change, with the help of the mind-clearing nature of Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo. My gratitude is with each of you who threw a little good karma my way during your own prayers.

Oh yeah, almost forgot . . . since tomorrow is the "observed" Veteran's Day holiday for my new company, I'll be starting my first day of work by staying home on a company holiday. And I'll be PAID for it for the first time in a few years! Ahh, the pleasures of the commercial manufacturing business.

Keep Em Green and Growin'

GordyP :wave:

G

Happy to See you All Have Been Here!

Happy to See you All Have Been Here!

Hey Buddha Buddies!
Well it did my heart good to finish my weekend of work and find that the 3 Musketeers had been here! I'm sure it would be interesting to see the 3 of you together at one time. Maybe we can work on all of us meeting in Asia. (As PTD and Stonegirl fall over :eek: :eek: )

So Cal,
I never thought I quit either, however, you can definitely tell the difference when you start back. I have no doubt, for what I do know of all of us, that we are not on the same paths. The lessons or obstables may be different but the growth path the same. And it is no mistake that we are all not here at the same time, with the ability to encourage each other. We will be here together for as long as it takes and we will spin off again. Maybe next week, Maybe next year, but it will dissolve when it is done. For now our lifes are very connected.

PTD,
I know that I do not have to say anything to you. As much as we have conversed since July, I have no doubt of what page you are on. I knew that had to be what you had been typing. Maybe you had to see it come from us for your validation that all that you felt and knew was correct. I guess all those expressions were for you for now. And I KNOW you had goose bumps when you read what I wrote because you are there too. Don't know how or in what capacity, but I feel it... And I hear you.

GordyP,
I am very happy for you and your Victory. I will tell you what has been told to me. If you have nothing to chant about, then you have become too complacent with your life. There will always be something, success of your company so you overcome the karma that got you where you have been, good work relationships, good product, happiness of your children, ....you will never not have anything to chant for. Oh yeah, Did I tell you about the Spring Hose Story? They say that your life is like a water hose that has laid outside throughout winter. It has gathered all the dirt and leaves laying there through the winter. When you begin to chant, it is as Sprintime and you turn on the water, all the dirt and leaves have to come out first before the clean crisp water. So is your life......You will have PLENTY to chant about!

So I was looking and we are third to Seed Lottery and Krusty Buckey(Makes me think of the Krusty Krab on SpongeBob) with 5024 viewers. I know the 4 of us check regularly but somebody else is too. Right! So I am going to write my life challenges out in here. I am going to display my personal here for all to see to attempt to show some actual proof of the law. We sorta speak third person in here sometimes and there is no actual proof in that. And I need to make all the causes I can, cuz these are big ones. So that will be my next entry! Southern Girl

stonegirl

neihow!

neihow!

I am very busy and too slow to type in English. SG, never worry to tell the truth. It take a lot of guts to be that way, so stay that way. And SoCal, want to encourage you. Keep it going and your hard work will be worth ten times reward for the efforts made. And Gordy! Wow Congratulation! I think you encourage us all very much! Take care!

stonegirl

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Everything that she said, and then some...

Everything that she said, and then some...

SoCal! Thanks for reminding me why I feel like a fucking knarly pine tree!

SG! I get more tears in my eyes reading what you write, than goose bumps!

Gordy! Plan a trip to asia as a first treat for having things come together!

What SG said was extremely insightful and absolutely true. This will not last forever. It is serving a purpose that applies to all but is different in it's specificity to each individual. Whatever you think you know, is going to change.

Gotta go. I am being beckoned. What else in new? You have no idea how frustrating it is to never control your own schedule!

Bye!

T

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Chanting Growers is the Bomb

Chanting Growers is the Bomb

I love all the msg's from all the ppl here; I am listening and chanting for everyone.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sneaking back in...

Remember, all of these things are the same. Literally. Not symbollically.

Nichiren Daishonin
True Buddha
Buddha of beginningless time
Gohonzon
Nam-myoho-renge-kyo

Can you get your head around that?

G

OK! Here Goes!

OK! Here Goes!

I hope that I get my point across because this will be the second time to write this. My goal is to show the levels and avenues this practice can touch. Because my life right now does not have one aspect missed. My reasoning for sharing will be known to my buddies in here who already practice and it will touch them as it needs to. For all the other folks who visit this, it is to hopefully show turning poison into medicine, Never give up no matter what, The Year of Victory, The power of NamMyohoRengeKyo! Because I need the encouragement too. When you feel that you are in a very pivotal point in your life and the dress rehersals are over!
In August 2002, it was a thought to go to Florida, In Sept, I drove down and secured my job, On Oct 18, 2002 I started work.
In August 2004, I started chanting, In Sept I was in Texas securing a job, and on Oct 18,2004 I began work. Living in the same house with the same job, faced with the same issures that made I used to go. We ARE NOT ALLOWED to run from our karma. I have lived from the west coast to the east coast and back in the 5 years, I did not chant. My life feels like GroundHog Day! Movie with Bill Murray! I have had people say, "Where ya been? on Vacation? Haven't seen you in about 6 weeks! Yeah ok how about 2 years. Did I dream it?
I am faced with the sadness and misery of my parents existence. My fathers failing health and disappointment in life.
I am faced with chanting for forgiveness for disliking my Mother and giving me the ability to feel compassion for her life.
I am faced with the pain of the relationship that my brother and I do not have.
I am faced with the pain of a mother to tell her son of her disappointments in him as a person and a man and stick with those vows I have made to him including his walking papers from me.
I am faced with finding peace in an 11 year relationship. Seeing a man who has become very old and spiritually broken and in great pain. To find the compassion.....
To get back on my feet financially after all the past 2 months....
That is what I am faced with right now. There is so much to chant for and overcome. I know I can do it. But to chant for all these issues and people means alot a damn dirt coming out the pike

G

Continued....Didn't want to lose it

Continued....Didn't want to lose it

Sorry, you can tell I'm rushing to type by my typos but hopefully ya get the jest.
I'm also faced with losing my youngest son to now his life. That too is right around the corner. He is my best buddy. We could be alone on an island together for quite sometime. He has gotten me through the last 20 years. Although that is what life is to be about....I will then be alone.
Those are the high points. And they are not metaphoric.....There are issues going on right now out in the open with all the above. And there are a couple of more that I will not even share here.
To maintain the level of calm that I have through all of this is the most intimidating of all. A sick sense if you will. Not of gloom and doom, but a total change of how my existence will be when it is all done.

So the value of this thread, is that we are real people,with true challenges and obstacles and as bodisavattas we have each other whether anybody else gives a shit or not. Should us sharing in here to one another inspires a stranger or passer-by, gives them hope or a way, Then there is certainly value in what we go through if it can encourage another. So we have to win! We have to be victorious! That is how we show actual proof! For that reason I have to Win and turn it all around! Southern Girl

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ya know what little sister? Fuck the dirt. Bring it on! Let's all kick some dirt ass together. It takes courage and conviction to be specific about your personal challenges. The Gohonzon will not leave you hanging out there. The faith to do what you have set out to do, for the sake of revealing the power of the Law for others to see, is the guarantee of victory before you even start. All you have to do is unwaiveringly continue. But you knew that already, before you started.

Didn't you!

Tears in my eyes!

T

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
Let's do it

Let's do it

Ive got the dump truck parked in my driveway. I am all for kicking that dirt ass where it truely belongs! It's Monday, end of year beckons, holidays, blah blah blah...Southern Girl, PTD, Gordy, and everyone else; total Victory is here and we will all share together some historic unbelievable Human Revolution in 2004. I'm really excited.

Take care and have a great week.

GordyP

You're Not Alone!

You're Not Alone!

Southern Girl,

It takes courage to lift your head and acknowledge those demons that are gnawing on you, and then share them with your friends here. That in itself is a big positive step. Know that you are not alone, now or ever. You've got family all over the country (the world) relating to your pain and sending prayers your way. Don't forget your Buddha nature is clear, pure, and everlasting. With that wisdom, you're on your way to eliminating many of those stones in your road right now. I feel like I'm preaching to the choir because this is the same encouragement I received from you, PTDoobie, and SoCal as I recently had to deal with a heavy heart, full of hopelessness and lonliness. I scored a nice "victory" in the financial and security arenas in the past couple days, but I still feel the greatest victories to be won are those which bring us closer together to friends and family and allow us to discern between delusion and truth. These things you know already, but I thought it might be enlightning for you to hear it from someone you helped to drag out of a deep, dark hole recently.

Being new at this, I can't help but feel it's more difficult to create positive change in others than just in ourselves. The list of high point issues in your life right now almost all revolve around other people you have loved and cared for throughout this lifetime; wanting so much for their lives to improve and for your relationship with them to be closer and happier. That is a truly a beautiful thing and you are truly a beautiful person for recognizing pain when you see it and then trying your damnest to relieve it, not just for your sake but for the sake of others as well.

So my chanting for material good fortune to come my way pales in the love, compassion, and devotion you pray for in yourself and all the people who played a part in your life. For all those prayers to come true, there are lots of lives to change, gal. Now start with the one that's in the center, your own, and work outward from that point, touching others like you've touched us all here. Learn from your past relationships but don't let them stand in your way of living for today and in the future. You know the way.

We're all here with ya, gal! :wave:

GordyP

G

The Beauty of this Practice

The Beauty of this Practice

I love Ya GordyP! I hear what you say from your heart and not your words. And you are very much a buddha, because you understand how it works all too well. And it is just like the sand of the gange river, we are all manifested at the times we are ready and there is nothing you have not learned that can not be turned to help another through your experience. That's how the sand multiplies.
It is not really the face value of all the problems that have manifested its nasty heads at once, it is not that they are new. However, the timing of recent events brings to my attention the need to deal with it all and putting it all in proper place to be able to go forward for my own personal happiness. It is a karmic thing, that is my responsibility to change for the well being of my children and grandchildren.
It is not the trivia of whoa is me. It is much bigger than that, as you know inside you are about to change your whole life. It has a big importance that if you don't change this stuff this time you set a pace for the rest of this existence which inturn affects the eternity thing. It requires as much support of daimoku as the hurricane. Because in a sense, I'm still in the hurricane.

SoCal & PTD,
I think that I spoke to you guys earlier of trying to contact a senior Japanese leader who has been a big part of my practice, as well as an old chapter chief, and the womans district leader who took my postion and was a shabuku of Alan's and I taught her. Have not heard from them. Left several messages for all that I was back the first month and then just let it go. I came in and wrote spontaneously last night of what I was feeling. This am I had 3 messages on my phone, One from Yuki, one from Louise and the other from Judy. Saying they wanted to get ahold of me and was hoping I could make the district meeting Thursday as tho they JUST got the message. I connected to something.

NattyNattyGuurl,
My whole point of writing all that was to hopefully touch on an issue that somebody had where I could show actual proof of my faith. By doing that, I receive the help and assistance for the universe that I need and in the process show you that nothing nothing can not be overcome by chanting NamMyoHoRengeKyo. We all have pain and disappointments. But with a fighting spirit and determination we can turn anything. And I know that these issues are very important for me to overcome for my life and my happiness and the people around me. The timing of it all has made it important. It has my attention. So everytime you feel sad or discouraged, or want to talk with your sister, you chant for it.

I chant graditude and appreciation everyday for you all. Southern Girl

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No greater a compliment for a Bodhisattva of the Earth!

No greater a compliment for a Bodhisattva of the Earth!

nattynattygurrl said:
...SG, ya'r posts, make me BELIEVE!!! :) Thank ya!! & I&I tink of ya often, hope ya are well, my sister!!!QUOTE]

Everyone is expressing a faith building process taking place in their lives. Please trust that I have specifically chanted for all of you in these past months, and what I have seen revealed here in the last couple of days is specific to those prayers. I take no credit for any of that happening, but my mind is just a little bit blown at the realization that you all pretty concisely said, your experience is the vehicle that is taking you forward. You are all Buddhas of the Mystic Law, who, through transient identities as Bodhisattvas of the Earth, teach through your lives the Bodhisattva Way. You reveal the inifinite mercy of the Law, and the potential of Enlightenment for all. Have confidence that your actions are the solutions that will naturally lead to World Peace. We are all pioneers, but we will be amazed at what will transpire during our lifetimes.

The questions will in time, become answers.

In am humbled in my great good fortune to know all of you!

Thomas

G

Dear NattyNattyGurrl

Dear NattyNattyGurrl

There is not anyone in here that does not have the same issues as you. I know that for me when I started, I had no self confidence or self esteem, because of how I processed my life experiences. And I still struggle with all of that everyday. We all have doubts of worthlessness or not being worthy enough. So know that when you respond to us we receive just as much joy in receiving from you as you do from us. Again, my point of sharing all that is on top of me right now are issues that have been ongoing for 11 years. Every single one of them. I TOOK a 2 year vacation and I got my ass blown back. And that is the point. We can not run from our lives. We cannot run from our karma. We just have to face it head on, chant along the way and pray for the best outcome for all.
I'm as scared as anyone. And people look at me like I'm super woman. My aunt called me from Ky today and was horrified that I drove that big truck. Very southern woman, my family. But I just close my eyes and jump, because I have been shown enough in my life though this practice, that somewho someway, I will be ok. And that is the message that I want to convey to you. We create our reality with our thoughts, and my happenings are showing me that my thoughts and attitudes are improving by the TYPE of benefits I recieve. It is all a reflection of you. Everything in our life, our enviornment is a reflection of us, Our mirror. When you are tired of what you see, you acquire tremendous strength you never knew you had. If we are happy then the people around us are happy.
My compassion to my family is now about not playing into the deluded behavior. Being as straight forward with my family as I am other people I care about. Because they aren't better than me. I think that is something you need to hear.
Best to you and believe that myself and others here are in your life because you ask for us to be. Southern Girl

GordyP

The Female of the Species

The Female of the Species

note to SoCal and "Thomas":

Be reminded Southern Girl is a female, and we are therefore dealing with "fire" here :) . Some words of strength for her and words of caution for us from Rudyard Kipling in 1911. It might as well been written yesterday:

When the Himalayan peasant meets the He-bear in his pride,
He shouts to scare the monster, who will often turn aside.
But the She-bear thus accosted rends the peasant tooth and nail.
For the female of the species is more deadly than the male.

When Nag the basking cobra hears the careless foot of man,
He will sometimes wriggle sideways and avoid it if he can.
But his mate makes no such motion where she camps beside the trail.

When the early Jesuit fathers preached to Hurons and Choctaws,
They prayed to be delivered from the vengeance of the squaws.
'Twas the women, not the warriors, turned those stark enthusiasts pale.

Man's tender heart is bursting with the things he must not say,
For the Woman that God gave him isn't his to give away;
But when hunter meets with husband, each confirms the other's tale -
The female of the species is more deadly than the male.

She who faces death by torture for each life beneath her breast
May not deal in doubt or pity - must not swerve for fact or jest.
These be purely male diversions - not in these her honour dwells
She the Other Law we live by, is that Law and nothing else.

So it comes that man, the coward, when he gathers to confer
With his fellow braves in council, dare not leave a place for her
Where, at war with Life and Conscience, he uplifts his erring hand
To some source of Abstract Justice - which no woman understands.

And man knows it! Knows, moreover, that the woman that God gave him
Must command but may not govern - shall enthral but not enslave him.
And She knows, because She warns him, and her instincts never fail,
That the Female of her species is more deadly than the Male.

So S.G., You got this Female thing going for you, too! :)

Love Ya!

GordyP

Status
Not open for further replies.