What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
PassTheDoobie said:
But Delta, by saying this and encouraging Bonz in the manner that you just did shows you to be a Buddha too. All Bodhisattvas of the Earth are Buddhas.

One does not chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo because they are a Bodhisattva of the Earth; one is a Bodhisattva of the Earth because they chant.

Deepest respect! Delta you bring me great joy!

Thank you!

T

I read this post for the first time .... and just realised what it means....

on another note T .... You seem to think Im adverse to being a buddha ... on the contrary ... Im with you all!

Peace

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
oh and TH ... always a pleasure my man!#
Hope your good and staying on full ....
Peace

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ANY meeting with Vice President Takimoto always goes well. He is championing my shakubuku to receive Gohonzon directly from our group. I guess I am the first non-native person to do shakubuku here (to the point of Gohonzon wishing to be received).

I need everyone to understand that as things stand now, I will be more busy with local efforts to achieve Kosen-rufu. All of you posting in support of one another is not only wonderful and timely, but an answer to my prayers. Thank you!

I am convinced that the Buddhist gods are not only aware of our efforts here, but greatly encourage them.

(There are thirteen references to hemp in the Writings of Nichiren Daishonin; could we really be considered anything other than Bodhisattvas of the Earth? Of course not, because that is EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE!)

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

Wooo hoooo !!!!!!!
Such an awesome thing to Shakabuku six local ppl to Gohonzon wooohoooo. Wow you must be looking at a bakers dozen this year alone. Im sure your local SGI is so pleased to have someone who has been practicing for so long. To meet with an SGI vice president is very honorable. Im sure they must have seen glimpses of the PTD I have known. You my friend have a trail of Shakabuku in your path. Our time in front of the Gohonzon this evening was incredible. Lets all work for Kosen Rufu . Thankyou PTD for your great efforts at turning this world around :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!

One life at a time,
We’re gonna turn this world around.
One life at a time,
We’re gonna spread this joy we’ve found.

With Sensei leading us on,
All the dark clouds are gonna be gone,
‘Cause this faith we’re depending on
Will never let us down!

Oh, one life at a time,
We’re gonna make this world brand new.
Some people are sad and lonely,
But we’ll see what we can do.

With Sensei giving us hope,
There’s no mountain we can’t climb.
We’re spreadin’ the word,
Spreadin’ the joy,
One life at a time.

If you wanna be happy, here’s how:
Teach someone to be happy right now.
Get out o’ your chair,
Get up on your feet.
Got something to share
With everyone we meet!

One life at a time,
We’re gonna make this world brand new.
Some people are sad and lonely,
But we’ll see what we can do.

With Sensei giving us hope,
There’s no mountain we can’t climb.
We’re spreading the word,
Spreadin’ the joy,
One life at a time.

We’re spreadin’ the word,
Spreadin’ the joy,
One life at a time!

©2001 SGI-USA

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!!!!!!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks Bud! But this is all a result of YOU!!!

Thanks Bud! But this is all a result of YOU!!!

Could "enjoy themselves at ease" mean anything but that both our bodies and minds, lives and environments, are entities of three thousand realms in a single moment of life and Buddhas of limitless joy? There is no true happiness other than upholding faith in the Lotus Sutra. This is what is meant by "peace and security in their present existence and good circumstances in future existences."

[ Happiness in This World, WND Page 681 ]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Taken from the World Tribune

Taken from the World Tribune

In "A Message From Matilda" titled "When We Face Disappointment" SGI-USA Women's Division Leader Matilda Buck says: "I would like to share some guidance from SGI Vice President Yasunori Takimoto and his wife Suzuko. I asked them how they both overcame fourth-stage cancer, and they described four determinations that they made. I realized that the heart of their message addresses all obstacles: illness, relationships, work and, of course, our own internal battles, like disappointment or hopelessness."

1) Through this experience, I will become someone who does not doubt the Gohonzon, no matter what happens.

2) As a Bodhisattva of the Earth, I have the mission to experience this, and as a Bodhisattva of the Earth, I have the mission to create a victory.

3) I will share the power of Buddhism with others, even as I grapple with this experience.

4) I won't let my spirits stay down. I won't make a place in my life for negativity to settle.

Looks like your new friend has had quite the life experience :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hi everyone. this thread has interested me for a while. i am catholic and if someone asked me what my religion was about i have alwayd been told to recite the apostles creed. here it is: I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into hell; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sitteth on the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Ghost; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. AMEN.

i know you guys do not care about this but i was just wondering what you would reply to someone if they asked you what your religion was about? also what does the last thing you guys say in every post mean? Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

just someone who was interested in other ways of thought. thank you. peace and smoke brothers and sisters.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Babbabud said:
1) Through this experience, I will become someone who does not doubt the Gohonzon, no matter what happens.

2) As a Bodhisattva of the Earth, I have the mission to experience this, and as a Bodhisattva of the Earth, I have the mission to create a victory.

3) I will share the power of Buddhism with others, even as I grapple with this experience.

4) I won't let my spirits stay down. I won't make a place in my life for negativity to settle.

Looks like your new friend has had quite the life experience :)
Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

A determination for us all to make our own!

But as I said before, he is not a new friend, as I have received personal guidance from him eight or nine times; the first time being back in 1985, more than twenty years ago. At a point in my practice, I was receiving more personal guidance from him in Japan then I was from my seniors back home in the states. He is famous for speaking to anyone with enough of a seeking spirit to seek him out. I can personally vouch for that being true. That first time back in '85 when I asked if I could speak to him directly, my SGI-USA leaders said "NO WAY. HE'S WAY TOO BUSY. He wouldn't possibly have the time for you." (That would be a Mr. Frank Nakabayashi that made that obstacle for me. Thanks Frank! Luckily I am an OCEAN person!) I kept chanting Daimoku for him to speak to me. I happened to pass him in a hallway with an entourage, turned around and ran in front of them, stopped him with my request and a sincerity that had made me have tears in my eyes, and he said through a translator, "I am very very busy right now. We have many things we must do this evening that I cannot stop. This will keep us busy until after midnight tonight. Will it still be alright if I come to your room to talk to you so late?" "Of course!" I said. He replied, "Please give me your room number and I will do my very best."

He showed up at my room at 1:30 AM with an interpreter and stayed for 45 minutes talking to me.

scegy

go ocean ppl!!!!!! bubba and pass, you made me a perfect start of a day with tears of joy while i was reading you, a very good day towards you :wave:
p.s.
i remembered a flash from my younger years, you remember ever kissing the spring sun shining in ur face?...i remember how much joy it gave me while i was looking through my father's workshop's window...it was the first 4 hours of work and sun was already making me so much happier than all those machines around me that we put so much effort in... :pointlaug

Last edited:

scegy

ft100: i WAS an atheist(didn't know what is to believe in, in the world as it exists today), but now i believe in something and that is ME and then US:) go to www.sgi.org and search the meaning of Nam Yoho Renge Kyo and translate it to your language if it isn't already.
that was my way of getting to know these great ppl here :)

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm Beaming like the sun at you, scegy!

I'm Beaming like the sun at you, scegy!

Let us openly and clearly outline the virtues of Myoho-renge-kyo! Just as poisonous compounds are changed into medicine, so these five characters of Myoho-renge-kyo change evil into good.

[ White Horses and White Swans, WND Page 1064 ]

Hitman

ft100 Congratulations for having such an open heart.

Shakabuku is when you tell someone about Nam Myoho Renge Kyo. You have the fortune to seek and find on your own and it led you to the Chanting Growers Thread.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo are the words that you repeat as you chant. You chant to turn your make good cause. Nam Myoho Renge kyo is the mystical law of cause and effect. You turn bad into good by chanting. Try it out and see the actual proof, please share your experience with us.

See that is the question I was trying to answer about shakabuku-ing people. I don't have all the details like the way ft100 described Catholicism. I think it was very daring of you to say how you felt and to question Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism.

Some people when something is different they hate it because they don't understand. You have all my respect, ft100, for having such an open seaking heart. That is wonderful good cause and you are sure to receive great positive effects.

The more you chant the better it gets. Just remember that without resistence you are not going forward. Standing still or going backwards you feel no resistance. Without lots of weight a body builder can't get bigger. You can't run uphill with a downhill attitude. In other words you have to give a full hearted effort and persevere.
Good Luck, ft100, and thank you!

Hit and all your friends at IC

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo!

Hitman

oh, and one more thing, I don't believe that one religion or belief cancels another one out. I was raised with Greek Orthodox, Catholicism, non-denominational, baptist, I wanted to see what it was all about. I am conscious of it all when I chant Nam Myoho Renge Kyo! Time for morning Gongyo- WooHoo!

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
FT100 Thanks for stopping by!

FT100 Thanks for stopping by!

What is NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO?

The phrase NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO is taken from the title of the greatest teaching of the first historically recorded Buddha, known as Siddhartha Gautama or Shakyamuni Buddha, who lived in India around 500 years before Christ was born. This teaching, called the Lotus Sutra, declares that all living beings, regardless of gender or intelligence (that means everyone - including you and me!), have the potential to attain Buddhahood. In the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha teaches that inside each one of us a universal truth known as the Buddha nature. Basing our lives on this Buddha nature enables us to enjoy absolute happiness and to act with boundless compassion. Such a state of happiness is called enlightenment. It's simply waking up to the true nature of life, realising that all things are connected, and that there is such a close relationship between each of us and our surroundings that when we change ourselves, we change the world.

In the 13th Century, a Japanese priest called Nichiren (1222-1282) realised that the message of the Lotus Sutra was summed up by its title, NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO, which can be translated as the teaching of the lotus flower of the wonderful law. Nichiren declared that all of the benefits of the wisdom contained in the Lotus Sutra can be realized by chanting this title NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO. Since the time of Nichiren many, many millions of people have followed his advice, chanting NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO regularly as a means of improving their health, happiness, wisdom and compassion. The goal of chanting NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO is to manifest the enlightenment of the Buddha in our own lives. We can then realise our own creative potential as individuals and, in so doing, create thriving and peaceful families, work places and communities. Eventually this gradual transformation of individuals will create peace and prosperity in societies throughout the world.

Why chant NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO? How will it help?
The Buddhist practice described on these pages is based on the teachings and the individual practice of the Buddhism of Nichiren Daishonin. Nichiren was a 13th Japanese sage who centred his philosophy on what is traditionally thought to be one of the last recorded teaching of the first historically recorded Buddha (variously known as Gautama Siddhartha or Shakyamuni Buddha). This teaching was named the Lotus Sutra. The Lotus Sutra declares that all living beings, regardless of gender or intellectual capacity, can attain the enlightened state of life within their given lifetime.

Being "enlightened" simply means to act like a Buddha - that is, to act in the appropriate way, at the appropriate time. To be able to do this is to be wiser, and to be happier, as a person, parent, child, sibling, colleague, neighbour, citizen. When we act more wisely, when we become more happy, we help those around us.

Individual enlightenment comes through the profound realisation of the inseparability of us as individuals and our spiritual and physical environment, and the ability we have, as an inseperable part of that environment, to powerfully influence it. Through this practice, every one of us can realise our personal responsibility for, and possibility to change, our own condition, and the condition of our immediate and distant environment. This sense of responsibility and power for positive change is further enhanced by an understanding of the simultaneity of cause and effect. Our every thought, word or deed has an immediate effect on the us and our environment, even though the full ramifications may take time to become manifest.

Nichiren Daishonin summarised these teachings by saying that, in the same way that one can bring to mind any concept simply by uttering its name, all the benefits of the wisdom contained in the Lotus Sutra can be harnessed simply by chanting its title - (Nam) Myoho Renge Kyo. Chanting therefore constitutes the core of the Buddhist practice, supported by the study and communication of the teachings.

Many people who chant NAM-MYOHO-RENGE-KYO find that it helps them to become more happy and fulfilled as human beings, through acting more often in ways that are wise, and that recognise our profound connections to everything and everybody else.

NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!! LIKE THE ROAR OF THE LION!!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
"When we scrutinize the sutras and treatises with care, we find that there is a teaching about a precept known as following the customs of the region that corresponds to this. The meaning of this precept is that, so long as no seriously offensive act is involved, then even if one were to depart to some slight degree from the teachings of Buddhism, it would be better to avoid going against the manners and customs of the country. This is a precept expounded by the Buddha."

(The Recitation of the "Expedient Means" and "Life Span" Chapters, page 72) Selection source: SGI President Ikeda's guidance, Seikyo Shimbun, August 13th, 2006

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To anyone needing to hear this:

To anyone needing to hear this:

BE FUCKING HAPPY DUDE! DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. WORRY ABOUT NOT CHANTING AND DON'T WORRY IF YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!! You are protected and supported by the love of many! Enjoy that protection and don't give yourself a stroke worrying about the right thing to do. Have faith and your life will guide you there.

PassTheDoobie

(Sorry Brother! Sometimes I have no idea where what I say comes from. I went back to read what I had written to you and somehow, I encouraged myself! This just seemed like something worth sharing with everyone. I hope you don't mind.)

T :wave:

Bonzo

Veteran
On the contrary ,im glad you put it up, i needed it!!!!!!!!!!

and it worked and put me back on track and not all fucked in the head.

THANK YOU MY BROTHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I FEEL BETTER

>>>nam myoho renge kyo>>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Buddha Nature Is Inherent In All People

The Buddha Nature Is Inherent In All People

Shariputra, you should know that at the start I took a vow hoping to make all persons equal to me, without any distinction between us, and what I long ago hoped for has now been fulfilled. (The Lotus Sutra, ch. 2, p. 39)

In this famous passage from the Lotus Sutra, Shakyamuni Buddha presents one of the sutra's revolutionary principles. It is the fact that all people can attain the same state of life as he did, indicating the mutual possession of the Ten Worlds.

The Ten Worlds are states of life that all beings experience from moment to moment. They are Hell, Hunger, Animality, Anger, Humanity, Heaven (or Rapture), Learning, Realization, Bodhisattva (Compassion) and Buddhahood (enlightenment or absolute happiness). Earlier sutras depict the Ten Worlds as separate and distinct realms where people dwell. It was inconceivable that the pure state of Buddhahood could exist in the defiled lower worlds.

Shakyamuni's statement that all people can become equal to the Buddha, "without any distinction between us," attests to the superiority of the Lotus Sutra over provisional sutras. It indicates that the Buddha returns to the realm of the lower nine worlds to lead people to enlightenment, and that while existing in the lower nine worlds, ordinary people have the potential to attain Buddhahood.

In "Letter to Niike" Nichiren Daishonin explains: "As the sutra says, 'hoping to make all persons equal to me, without any distinction between us 'you can readily become as noble a Buddha as Shakyamuni. A bird's egg contains nothing but liquid, yet by itself this develops into a beak, two eyes, and all the other parts, and the bird soars into the sky. We, too, are the eggs of ignorance, which are pitiful things, but when nurtured by the chanting of Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, which is like the warmth of the mother bird, we develop the beak of the thirty-two features and the feathers of the eighty characteristics and are free to soar into the sky of the true aspect of all phenomena and the reality of all things. This is what is meant by the sutra passage that says in essence: 'All people dwell in the shell of ignorance, lacking the beak of wisdom. The Buddha comes back to this world - the land where sages and common mortals live together, the latter undergoing transmigration with differences and limitations -just as a mother bird returns to her nest, and cracks the shell of ignorance so that all people, like fledglings, may leave the nest and soar into the sky of the essential nature of phenomena and the reality of all things... (The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin, p. 1030).

In the Daishonin's thirteenth century japan, dominated by Buddhist sects that followed provisional sutras, Buddhas were thought to be transcendent savior figures. They were adorned with thirty-two extraordinary features, such as golden skin, Dharma-wheel markings on the soles of their feet, light radiating from their bodies, and so forth.

In this passage, Nichiren declares that Buddhahood is in fact inherent in the lives of all ordinary people. The role of the Buddha is not that of a supernatural being to which others are subservient.

By stating that "attaining Buddhahood is nothing extraordinary," he indicates that, remarkable as it may seem, we are originally endowed with the potential to do so. He uses the analogy of an egg to illustrate this fact. An egg is a common object, unremarkable on the surface and containing nothing but a sort of gooey liquid. Yet it possesses the potential to develop into a bird that can fly freely in the sky. Our lives are just like this. Outwardly we may be common mortals, yet we are naturally endowed with the potential to develop the state of absolute freedom of Buddhahood.

Although the Lotus Sutra attests to the existence of our Buddha nature, Nichiren Daishonin gave us the method to develop it by chanting Nam-myoho-renge-kyo. In doing so, the Daishonin says we can develop the Buddha's thirty-two distinguishing features. These are interpreted to be compassion, insight, wisdom and other human qualities, and not as physical attributes that set the Buddha apart from other people. The ultimate reality of life lies nowhere apart from ourselves. We attain Buddhahood in our present form.

Even though we possess the potential for the supreme state of Buddhahood, unless we encounter the proper external relationship - the object of devotion, the Gohonzon - we remain "in the shell of ignorance, lacking the beak of wisdom." The role or function of the Gohonzon as the embodiment of Nichiren's Buddha nature, is to "crack the shell" or furnish the proper external cause by which we can bring forth our innate Gohonzon or Buddha nature.

In The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, SGI President Ikeda explains how this passage from the sutra applies to our practice in the Buddhist community of believers: "Propagating the teachings as well as fostering and raising capable people are all activities that accord with the Lotus Sutra's spirit. Other SGI cultural and social activities only take on profound significance when they contribute to developing people of ability and bring more and more people into contact with Buddhism.

"The Buddha vows to elevate all people to the same state of life as his own. This is the spirit to raise capable people, to enable people to develop to their fullest potential. This is also the spirit underlying the mentor-disciple relationship.

"Of course, since we also strive to keep growing and developing ourselves, the determination to bring others not only to our level but above and beyond is the true spirit of the Buddha's vow to 'make all persons equal to me, without any distinction between us."

"The true essence of humanism lies in our compassion and earnest commitment to pray and exert ourselves for the growth of our fellow members, particularly those newer in faith. The SGI is a humanistic organization. It isn't run on authority or orders from above. It moves forward with the joy of being in contact with genuine humanity" (The Wisdom of the Lotus Sutra, vol. 1, p. 134-135).

This passage from the Lotus Sutra also illustrates the concept of the "oneness of mentor and disciple." Previous to the teachings of the Lotus Sutra, the view was that "the disciple is the disciple" and "the Buddha is the Buddha." But as indicated by the passage "hoping to make all persons equal to me, without any distinction between us," mentor and disciple are equal and united in their compassion for humanity and efforts to propagate the Law.

By Dave Baldschun, SGI-USA Study Department, based in part on Yasashii Kyogaku (Easy Buddhist Study) published by Seikyo Press in 1994.

Last edited:

treehuggers

PassTheDoobie said:
BE FUCKING HAPPY DUDE! DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF. WORRY ABOUT NOT CHANTING AND DON'T WORRY IF YOU ARE!!!!!!!!!!!! You are protected and supported by the love of many! Enjoy that protection and don't give yourself a stroke worrying about the right thing to do. Have faith and your life will guide you there.

PassTheDoobie

Maybe i should change my signature :chin: :D

NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO!!!11oneone

Status
Not open for further replies.