What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Chanting Growers Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If Nichiren's compassion is truly great and encompassing, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo will spread for ten thousand years and more, for all eternity, for it has the beneficial power to open the blind eyes of every living being in the country of Japan, and it blocks off the road that leads to the hell of incessant suffering.

[ On Repaying Debts of Gratitude, WND Page 736 ]

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When ordinary people in this latter age read these various sutras, they suppose that these sutras accord with the mind of the Buddha. But if we ponder the matter closely, we will see that in fact what they are reading is only a reflection of their own minds. And since their own minds are naturally uncultivated, there is little merit to be gained thereby.

The Lotus Sutra, on the other hand, is known as a sutra that was preached in accordance with the Buddha's own mind. Because the Buddha's mind is an excellent mind, persons who read this sutra, even though they may not understand its meaning, will gain inestimable benefit.

Mugwort that grows in the midst of hemp, or a snake inside a tube [will as a matter of course become straight], and those who associate with people of good character will consequently become upright in heart, deed, and word. The Lotus Sutra exerts a similar influence. The Buddha will look upon one who simply puts faith in this sutra as a good person.

Concerning the Lotus Sutra, however, the form of its teaching will vary depending upon the people's capacity, the time, the country, and the individuals who propagate it. Yet it seems that even bodhisattvas who have reached the stage of near-perfect enlightenment do not understand these relationships. How much less can ordinary people in the latter age ever fathom them!

[ The Bodies and Minds of Ordinary Beings, WND Page 1128 ]

Last edited:

treehuggers

everybody knows The Wave Analogy

Imagine that you are a wave, a single wave on the surface of the vast ocean. The ocean represents the universe. You have a separate identity in that you have movement and form and an apparent life of your own. You may be a small ripple or you may be a giant tidal wave with terrible power at your disposal. There are many other waves each having its own characteristics - these represent all the other living beings in the universe. You are not the ocean and yet you only exist because of it. You are made of it and you cannot really distinguish the difference between the water making you up and the water forming the vast ocean itself. You cannot exist without the ocean and the ocean cannot exist without you because it is impossible to distinguish where you end and the ocean begins. Finally, after travelling over the surface of the ocean for a while, all the energies and conditions essential for your existence gradually decay away and you are unable to continue. This is not a tragedy. You simply merge back into the ocean from which you came. The ocean never loses you. Eventually, the effects you had on the ocean and a combination of thousands of other causes will produce the conditions for you to reappear on the surface. You will be a wave again. Not the same one of course…but not a different one either. This is the wonderful mystery of the eternity of life.

Thank you my friends. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
T~r~e~E~~H~u~g~G~e~R~s

How are you :wave:

... and I *no* didnt know the wave analogy ... :joint:

:pointlaug

he he he

E~A~S~Y D

Hope the pulp hasn't taken too much of a beating ... otherwise there'll be fresh juice !

Babba ... crazy disco funk in the garden .... /// he he he
Glad you and the mrs are ok

P/T/D

Hope your familys well and your doing good? ....leading the pack ... he he he!
:woohoo:

Wamen ... nice to see you back ,...

Gypsy ... I hope your well and settling in ok?
Also that DG feels well again soon

Just had a long drink with my cousin
loads of Long journeys but feel good ...

Good to be here ....

Peace!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And now that I've finally seen the above post, I can look forward to the day on my side of the planet where the sun has already come up, with a huge smile on my face!

Good to see you Delta! I had been holding my breath waiting for you to return. Much love to you my Brother!

Treehuggers, thanks for that wonderful analogy. Let's all continue to encourage each other and seek the Law that declares that we are all part of the same thing--never separated by anything other than our own delusion!

Nam-myoho-renge-kyo!

I bow in obeisance to you all!

Thomas

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
wooohooo

wooohooo

Treehugger that is a very beautiful story . Thanks so much for sharing that with us. nam myoho renge kyo!! Hope to see you more here on the thread and is great talking to you in chat !!! Welcome Home!!
nam myoho renge kyo

Delta buddy great to see you again :)

nam myoho renge kyo!!

fallenangel

hello everyone ,,, hope you all dont mind me dropping by and feeding off of your love and positive vibes. after just reading a few posts i can feel the power of this thread . the love and compasion in here is filling me with a warmth that i so despertly need at this turning point in my life. i thank you all.

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Right on FallenAngel my brother i was so hoping you would drop by. After the post on my thread I had a feeling we might see you here soon. Thanks so much for having the seeking spirit to bring yourself here. Have you tried chanting ? I hope so ...keep reading brother and chant for understanding ... things get clearer and clearer. So glad to see you all stopping in and taking part in a beautiful and enlightening thread. !! Hope see more of you guys in chat and if there are ever any questions please post it here or feel free to ask in chat anytime :)
nam myoho renge kyo!!

Last edited:

treehuggers

Hey Delta9-THC, feeling great! How are you? Didnt know you were here also! Let's chant together! :)

PassTheDoobie: Hello mate! Your words are full of wisdom..maybe you should write something stupid from time to time:D

Thank you Babbabud! :) You are most kind! We will chat in chat... stay cool!

Hello fallenangel... the love that drives this theard is just :yoinks: ... good vibes...

Thank you all, together we are much stronger!!

Nam myoho renge kyo!! and regards from my cat Sati!:)

Last edited:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
If we avoid looking at death, any happiness that we achieve will be a fleeting illusion. It is by gaining a proper understanding of death that we really know how to live and how to contribute meaningfully to society and civilization.

In The Record of the Orally Transmitted Teachings, the Daishonin writes about birth, aging, sickness and death: “When, while in these four states of birth, aging, sickness, and death, we chant Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, we cause them to waft forth the fragrance of the four virtues [of eternity, happiness, true self, and purity]” (OTT, 90).

In other words, by having faith in and practicing the Daishonin’s Buddhism, birth is transformed into joy, aging and sickness become springboards to a higher state of life, and death becomes a glorious departure to eternal happiness. The Daishonin promises us that we will be able to achieve a wonderful life-state that savors joy in both life and death in lifetime after lifetime.

(Selection Source: SGI Newsletter No. 6926, featuring SGI President Ikeda's Conversation Series: Discussions on Life and Death, The Influenza Mystery. Translated on Thursday, July 27, 2006)

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
A new sun has risen.
Let's set out fervently by chanting daimoku
with strong and profound determination!
Always staying absolutely safe and accident-free,
let's create golden value each and every day!

Daisaku Ikeda

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
thanx for sharing all the kind words with us ...

PTd- thanx for the links bro, i will read all the stuff tonight at home , culture =benefit

lets keep this good vibes flowin...

Blessings- Wam

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hello fallenangel! Welcome! How can we help?

Hello fallenangel! Welcome! How can we help?

The heart of the Lotus Sutra is the revelation that one may attain the supreme enlightenment in one's present form without altering one's status as an ordinary person. This means that, without casting aside one's karmic impediments, one can still attain the Buddha way. Thus T'ien-t'ai says, "The other sutras only predict Buddhahood . . . for the good, but not for the evil;. . . This [Lotus] sutra predicts Buddhahood for all."

[ Reply to Hakiri Saburo, WND Page 410 ]

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good morning to everyone. Lets try to get some chanting in today guys :) Ive already started and its gonna be a big chanting day:)
so come on join in and lets chant thats what this is all about!! Chant for your benefit as well as others. Hey SoCal where you at buddy?? Lets have some more of those great post!!!!!!!
nam myoho renge kyo

Bonzo

Veteran
Good morning ya'll, Babba im with you: im gonna chant as much as i can today: when im driving ,when im takin a poo, just every chance i get!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

bonz

Last edited:
G

Bonzo said:
Good morning ya'll, Babba im with you: im gonna chant as much as i can today: when im driving ,when im takin a poo, just every chance i get!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nam myoho renge kyo>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

bonz

Seems like your ready to receive your Gohonzon, now is the time bonz! Hi delta :joint: I got to toke this week some really good shit and really had a great time catching up last night after gongyo and a special convo with my mentor. It was really fulfilling that I spent the evening thwarting persecution because of Buddhist beliefs specifically my bond with Nichiren Daishonin, the Gohonzon, Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and me and my Gohonzon's sanctuary, and as I chanting my evening daimoku and gongyo my mentor calls me and says "its all good discoaddict, your doing fine and this happens to those who truly uphold The Law and are champions of perseverance/determination/samahadis (always wanted to use that word in a sentence). The mentor disciple relationship is an incredible thing to witness firsthand and everytime THE GOHONZON speaks to you, those goosebumps are a prelude to overwhelming appreciation and joy to be practicing The Law in the latter day.

muahahahaha, I may get beaten up, judged viciously, punished needlessly, and still I keep SHINING BRIGHTER EVERYDAY. I am proof that the Gohonzon's mercy and potency is unlimited. I am proof that if you apply faith to everything in your life faith will catapult you beyond the former reaches/grasp of your mind. I am proof IN THE LAW.

LIVE STRONG FREE LIVES, THAT INSPIRE AND EMBRACE THE GREATNESS WITHIN YOU. ITS NAM MYOHO RENGE KYO, BABY YOU CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF THIS.

Check me out, I'm proof!

Last edited:

SoCal Hippy

Veteran
So great to see so many additional posters and visitors here at the thread. Everyone is warmly welcomed and am confident you will all find exactly what you are seeking(can you say absolute happiness???) in this Life Philosophy of Nichiren Buddhism.

Going to NoCal for a 4 day so will be somewhat out of touch. Keep on chanting.

Nam myoho renge kyo!!!

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey SoCal! It's good to see you too!

Hey SoCal! It's good to see you too!

Have a safe and successful trip!

I'm with Bud and Easy--we're a team. Brothers in the Law!

What about more of these? Thanks again for this one:

PassTheDoobie

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ocean Culture Buddhism By Dr. Tetsugai Obo (Part 4 0f 8)

Ocean Culture Buddhism By Dr. Tetsugai Obo (Part 4 0f 8)

SoCal Hippy said:
The Strange Principle

I have written an article titled, "A Strange Principle," for the health section of the Seikyo Shimbun. After observing many people, I have found that conformists -- hard working, responsible, caring and altruistic people -- mysteriously enough come to a deadlock. Those conforming to [the expectations of] others while working hard cannot break through. These altruistic people often face rejection, refusal, being made fun of, and in extreme cases are despised. Have you seen these people? Serious conformists can't advance.

On the contrary, irresponsible, arrogant, and shrewd people are successful in every attempt. Since everything goes well, they are targeted for flattery and they become even more successful. This is a very popular phenomenon. I have encountered various types of people and their lives, and I have witnessed many of these cases. What is this all about? Earnest people are fooled and the villains get fattened up. I pondered "why?" for a long time but I didn't get an answer.

I had an opportunity to research while still contemplating this issue. I began to see the mechanism of the strange principle little by little. Hesitantly, I wrote about it in the Seikyo Shimbun. I was afraid that it would be too controversial or that it would be cut, but I had to write it anyway because I thought there must be some people bothered by the same thoughts. Luckily, the article made it to the final print, and some people responded.

One of the responses read: "As you have written I have done my best to do shakubuku [teach people about Buddhism] up until last year, to promote the Seikyo Shimbun, did lots of zaimu [financial contribution], and fought with all my strength. But this year I am fighting illness and I'm on welfare. Why, despite my hard work are all of these things happening to me? I don't understand. Even though it is written so, it lacks thorough explanation and I still don't understand what you mean."

Immediately I answered his questions via letter and he was really happy. Actually, there is another principle that causes such phenomena. I selfishly named the principle that lies beyond such superficial phenomena as the "strange principle".

The principle means that, even if they are fighting for others in need -- for their families, doing SGI activities for kosen-rufu, working for world peace and against injustices in the world -- those who kill themselves and who neglect themselves will eventually lose fortune.

Therefore, this is a principle that as long as you neglect your own life, then others will neglect you.

People say, "As long as I persevere and endure someday my hardship will eventually pay off. Until then I must be patient." The Daishonin wrote: "Where there is unseen virtue, there will be visible reward."

But the harder you endure the worse off you become. One after another you go through even more hardships. Thus you are not making any "unseen virtue."

Why? Because you are killing your life which is the entity of the Mystic Law. You accumulate fortune when you rejoice and enjoy whatever you do and when you allow your life to shine as it is. It will become your good fortune. Automatically, others will value your existence.

(to be continued)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Latest posts