Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Dead Res" Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Herborizer
    replied
    For those following, I use calcium hypochlorite now instead of bleach. Same idea but cheaper. $4 bag of pool shock should last me years. See thread: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=219683

    Leave a comment:


  • GDK
    replied
    Awesome thread...Herb and Lazy..u guys rock!!

    Stay Safe

    Leave a comment:


  • terminalc
    replied
    Lazyman are you still using 2ml / 10g twice a day?

    Leave a comment:


  • louie
    replied
    So does running a "dead res" have any negative impact on yield or quality? I am running GH flora micro and bloom 6/9 with coco and am really debating on switching to a dead res.

    Leave a comment:


  • Herborizer
    replied
    This round I kept to my same nutrient schedule, but left out the Cannazyme from my res. I only hand water the Cannazyme from time to time over the Coco. My res is crystal clear. The only place I see a tiny bit of slime is my airstone tubes. It's so minor. These res's have not been cleaned in 4 months!

    Thanks for the advice Lazyman. You are a great source of information as usual.

    Leave a comment:


  • Lazyman
    replied
    BTW, Hygrozyme is more enzymes than bacteria, they would both be killed by chlorine or physan20.

    Also, i've been noticing that in my reservoirs that 5ml bleach per 50 gallons isn't enough once, or even twice a day. Airstones are still getting gunked up, although the barrels are pretty darn clean. Twice a month I squirt in a few ml of Physan20 from a dropper into each barrel, let it sit and foam for 30 minutes, then dump it out and soak the airstones in bleach. I will try 10Ml of bleach 2X per day instead, I imagine the airstones are bubbling out the chlorine faster than I anticipated. Hope that helps someone!

    Leave a comment:


  • Lazyman
    replied
    Hygrozyme shouldn't ever be put into any reservoir in my opinion, it spells death, slime, and root rot for anything attached to it. It's also a giant ripoff, use septic system powdered enzymes from Home Depot at about 1/1000th the cost (if you must use enzymes, apply directly to plant from a bucket or just water through as a top dressing.)

    Put Hygrozyme out of business with their shady selves!

    Leave a comment:


  • HUGE
    replied
    Originally posted by highvolt View Post
    so would it still be ok to use hygrozyme with the bleach or would the bleach render the hygrozyme useless ?
    thanks.
    Hygrozyme is useless with or without bleach. Usually I use bleach to fight the algae that bloomed from using Hygrozyme. There is no living bacteria in Hygrozyme so bleach won't hurt it. But the Hygrozyme will hurt the res.

    Leave a comment:


  • Builtaforest
    replied
    Originally posted by highvolt View Post
    so would it still be ok to use hygrozyme with the bleach or would the bleach render the hygrozyme useless ?
    thanks.
    Bleach would render the hygrozyme useless. Bleach kills both GOOD and BAD bacteria, giving you a "dead res".

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    so would it still be ok to use hygrozyme with the bleach or would the bleach render the hygrozyme useless ?
    thanks.

    Leave a comment:


  • compost
    replied
    I am gonna use bleach in my blumat res in flowering. I use KISS at 1/3 strength in the res along with drip clean. I am using hygrozyme but I can just use that in veg or get rid of it all together.

    The only thing I haven't figured out is what I am gonna use instead of Liquid kharma. I had been hand watering once a week for run off but I want to stop doing that. If I get something for the res like LK ille be set.

    Leave a comment:


  • OjoRojo420
    replied
    Bleach = no root rot = no dinner call for Fungus Gnats = healthy roots all till the end of flowering which = much higher harvest.

    I also love it!

    Try adding it to seedling water for a stronger healthier head start.

    Leave a comment:


  • Guest's Avatar
    Guest replied
    Bro....you`re sayin no "dripclean" needed fer coco , but rather 5 ml of "bleach" for each 55 gals of feedjuice ?......

    Keep`s the Blumat`s clean and hoonin as well ?.......3% or 6% LM...

    Just tryin ta save cash on my headies run ......Never liked the idea of buyin supplements that were chlorine/chloramine based (Zone) for growin dope since it was already in tapwater and readily available........

    Just need a copy of the rules....Respect...

    Peace....DHF..........

    Leave a comment:


  • Lazyman
    replied
    I've tried it all too, and also swear by a dead res after 8 years of having 2-5 reservoirs.

    DM Zone is Chloramine, basically a more stable version of chlorine that doesn't offgas very quickly like bleach.

    Peroxide, particularly in an aerated res is a joke, it lasts for a few hours and is gone, If you're not putting it in right before watering, you're literally throwing money away. Once every 4-5 days is worthless.

    I took Krunch's advice and now use bleach, I fill a small bottle with it and use a disposable eyedropper to put 5 ml per day into each of my 55g reservoirs. Quick and tidy, res looks and smells clean, no more blumat clogs, no more algae floating loose in the res either. Dirt cheap and very effective.

    As an aside, I also noted that I have about 600 gallons of coco in my rooms, and not one fungus gnat. Might be coincedence, but it might not as well.

    Bleach for the win!

    Leave a comment:


  • blackone
    replied
    I've heard of disinfecting with bleach before but keeping everything dead with a small concentration... Sounds interesting It seems like it's not a problem for the plants but I wonder what the poor mold spores, spider mites, gnats and thrips think about chlorine...

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X