What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Are pre-flowers a sign of anything besides gender?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I can get a plant out of preflower and back into regular growth by up potting. Sometimes with a harder plant I can raise light hours from 18 to 20.
my mentor says he can get them out of preflower by transplanting and taking them outside into natural sunlight for a few hours a day. He doesn't increase hours of light he just replaced a couple hours of grow light time with sunlight time. He starts out with an hour or two and increases a little each day.
I don't like taking indoor plants outside and then back in, but he says it works for him.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I have one that can start flowering at 5 weeks with just 4 nodes, and just continues until harvest at 8'. Finishes with many very short side branching. Definitely needs support stakes. And not the tiny bamboo ones either. Makes for gargantuan outdoor yields.

How's this for a top cola.
Click image for larger version  Name:	Image1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	41.3 KB ID:	18047237

It has ruderalis genes and from what I've read about autoflowers, when they were first being developed, continual flowering was an issue.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I thought my OHLP was pre-flowering the last month. Nope. It still has pre-flowers on some nodes and ballz growing on others. The tent is at 10:15 the last few daze.

St. Phatty

Well, they're a sign that it's not a Cactus plant.

Also a sign that it's not a nonbinary transgender Cannabis plant.

How would that work ? Graft a female top on a male stem ?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Well, these Skunkman beans have been a huge disappointment. Somebody may have pulled a stunt like that, but it sure doesn't make for a good grow from the resultant seeds. Live and learn. Maybe something I do just makes males.

Jeezy

I assume preflowers are like an early warning sign.like hurry up and move your males and females apart.as far as i know preflowers are just to show sex.nothin more nothin less.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Why don't you want them?

I 'imagine' that plants showing sooner will finish sooner. I have not specifically looked at this, but it best fits. Sometimes the last ones to show are very slow, that's for sure.
You would have to do a fair few from seed. See who was who. Get them all showing. Then flower them. I know which will come last, so reason tells us which should come first.

I'm forever working cuttings and this trait isn't one I desire. I just care what mature plants do. For people coming from seed, the more sexually mature plant is a thing though. Flowering before then brings losses. There is some solid science here somewhere.

Edit: I have not noticed fast varieties showing sooner. I have found myself willing one along recently, as it was a bit later than I wanted. It flowered quick though. So I don't think this observation is much use cross strain. However separating phenotypes... That really does seem like something

My take on pre flower is biased, plants that pre flower in veg is actually the norm.

No worries there.

I like a plant to show flower after flip, and likely the reason my cross project is years in the making, lol.

I also stress plants in flower to determine the cultivars that hermie easily.

I got time, and plants that finish less than 60 days are not my goal.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran

That's very interesting. Would you be willing to share your reasoning? As someone interested in breeding, just hoping to expand my knowledge base. Does a plant need to be exposed to 12/12 before it begins expressing for you to consider it worthy?

I've always pre-sexed my plants from seed, usually by late June to mid-July, or in their 'third' out of 'four' pots. Some do indicate later than others, and those I will pot up and keep an eye on.

It was apparent to me this season, that a lot of those early/pre-flowers seem to be responsible for botrytis outbreaks, as they matured way ahead of the main flower structures.

Regarding pre flower, I have cultivars that flower for 70- 90 days, and 120 days.

New stock acquired recently flowers 60-70 days. there is a cultivar in flower pre flowered heavy,
and no cuts kept.

I'll keep cuttings in veg until the cuts in flower show sex.

Lots of time lost with this method.

The other cultivars, SBR and AL showed no preflower, so kept for now.

My take on making crosses is the plants in veg that show pre flowers are less worthy.

The cuttings I have flipped that preflower are prone to uptake instabilities and lackluster yields.

That's a thing as my average yield per plant is 5-7 grams.

I want stock that is stable in veg and only show sex in flower to avoid the hormone release
in veg, as a plant in veg for a few weeks that preflowers in 18/6 will likely be fragile in flower.

Micro grow with 165W in flower.

My take on the subject based on my grows and stock in hand.

Latest posts

Latest posts