What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bringing indoor trees outside in the North east.

Bringing indoor trees outside in the North east.

• This will not work the way you want,(here is why)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

grod31

Veteran
Plants in 1 gallon pots at the low end of the veg cycle at 16 hours of light started in November. Trim& train
Transplant into 7 gallon pots end of January.Trim& train
April transplant full sized plants into the ground with supplemental lighting to achieve the same amount of light it was getting indoors. Trim,train, Stakes
Summer solstice remove supplemental lighting. last trim and add additional stakes.
Sit under tree and smoke pipe?

troutman

Seed Whore
No need to start plants in November. ;)

2 months of vegging indoors is more than plenty of time to get a plant started for outdoor life.

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
I know you are asking for a poll vote but well, I didn’t, cause I detest polls as a general rule.

On topic, I have not tried it but I have seen lots of trees that Canadians have tried the last few years since legalization. Yes, it works, but . . . depending upon the strain you choose . . . it may not finish any earlier than October – November, which brings you into potential nasty weather. There is also the usual NE problem of white powdery mildew with our humid days and cool August nights. I have given up on outdoor grows in my area because of this. And then, last but not least, if it is a rainy autumn, bud rot is a real danger unless you have a rain cover for it.

But yes, it works.

grod31

Veteran
hell yeah, a rain cover would be ideal for sept-oct thats what i did this year and it made a huge difference.
im gonna use these 4'x4 pop up tents for the frames with cheap 4'x'cold frames ontop to build a poor mans green house of sorts.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Sounds like you want to grow Mendo Dope style plants. Lookup Mendo Dope Seed to Harvest on YouTube and do what they do.

Start 6 plants March 1st and cull the weaklings at transplant. Be warned. One giant plant is a huge amount of work and is expensive to keep fed. Defoliate after the stretch or else.

LostTribe

Premium user
So 2 things.

You can veg them under 24/7 light for 8 weeks and they will flower all the way thru as soon as you put them outside. If you'd rather try to have them keep on vegging thru the summer a few strung up incandescent bulbs is sufficient to keep them from autoflowering during the spring. They do not require a significant amount of light to keep from transitioning to bloom only something to interupt the dark cycle.

grod31

Veteran
Sounds like you want to grow Mendo Dope style plants. Lookup Mendo Dope Seed to Harvest on YouTube and do what they do.

Start 6 plants March 1st and cull the weaklings at transplant. Be warned. One giant plant is a huge amount of work and is expensive to keep fed. Defoliate after the stretch or else.

Thank you so much for the suggestion im watching them now ill take notes as i watch
These guys have a crazy grow season. its nothing like this in the north east. These guys are well into august and they haven't even started to flower.
Lots of good stuff in there. these cats spend like $500 each plant in nutrients. pretty crazy.

Last edited:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Thank you so much for the suggestion im watching them now ill take notes as i watch
These guys have a crazy grow season. its nothing like this in the north east. These guys are well into august and they haven't even started to flower.
Lots of good stuff in there. these cats spend like $500 each plant in nutrients. pretty crazy.
Their season is longer. While Canada gets more hours of light, and Western Canada more still, the total DLI (daily light interval) is about the same. I've seen 4 pounders in Toronto.

Treat those videos as a guide, not a bible. Those guys are winging their nutrients and a lot is wasted. They're mostly organic so the nutes are less likely to burn plants.

I make a couple yards every year for my veggie garden.
Click image for larger version  Name:	supersoil.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.6 KB ID:	18031092

grod31

Veteran
Would there be a difference between using supplemental lighting to disrupt the dark cycle for 1 hour Vs. vegging 16 continuous hours?

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
veg a weed plant for 5 months inside in 7 gallon? sounds like a solid plan...

fresh healthy clone starts into the ground mid june in upstate ny for me. 30 plants per 1000 sq feet and they grow into each other by harvest.

need to decrease to 24 plants next season or plant later... too much overgrow this year.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0576.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	18032053

last year I put large ECSD moms in two mounds and many smaller starts from these moms.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ecsd decisions.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.3 KB ID:	18032054

the smaller plants caught up to the moms by the end of July and they had better structure and were in better health.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0576.JPG Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	18032053

the babies were better at harvest.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECSD 9-26-21.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.6 KB ID:	18032056

we don't sour the same... #ThanksChaco

Click image for larger version  Name:	ECSD 9-26-21.JPG Views:	0 Size:	156.6 KB ID:	18032056

Chaco's Sour Valley.

mid june with small healthy plants beats sick rootbound old starts.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
So you would( but didn't) vote not worth it?
Your permitted 30 plants in NY?

that's how many clones went in that particular spot. the feds say 99 plant limit but I just can't smoke that many at my age, not even before covid when my lungs were stronger.

ashtrays copy.jpg

last year I popped a few unpermitted beans at the end of april...

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

this year I will run feminized seeds so I'm not juggling so many babies.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Growing outdoor New York State kind of sucks …there’s no way around it..lol…Especially if your livelihood depends on it

grod31

Veteran
You can say that twice. Even indoors I got fucked one year by hurricane sandy... Entire grow room under water...

grod31

Veteran
This grow is mainly for principle not so much harvest, aesthetics is on the top level of priority. The shape of these trees is the utmost importance since my yard is incredibly small. They only have a foot print of about 35 square ft of immediate grow space. Outside of their immediate grow space there is permanent plants and walking paths.
As log as the trees canopy is above the walking paths (over 6') the trees can spill into that area.

Atm my plan is to grow these stalks up about 30 inches before topping and starting to branch out. ( think of a hydrangea "tree form") again i'm totally willing to sacrifice yield for aesthetics.
Also contemplating spiraling the stem since it would look so cool. Although I have seen stems split while callusing after going through extreme bends.

Last edited:

grod31

Veteran
This lil glimpse into a mad mans mind is how i'm deciding on the shape I want.

Attachments

• photo2101666.jpg
    photo2101666.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 46
  • photo2109656.jpg
    photo2109656.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 48
  • photo2109666.jpg
    photo2109666.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2109667.jpg
    photo2109667.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 46
  • photo2109668.jpg
    photo2109668.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

grod31

Veteran
your starts 6' tall yet???
Nah, they could be but i hack them back hard every two weeks or so. Plus i'm spiraling them and weight training the main leader. This pic was on 4/20 the plant in the picture was 151 days old. The one to the right( my left) is 121 days.
still too cold to plant in the ground.

Attachments

• Psillyrabbit.jpeg
    Psillyrabbit.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 50