What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

14 days into flowering - can i transplant to larger pot??

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
i started '3' headbangers seeds from karma and transplanted them into 1 gall pots - its been 14days n 2 of the 3 r ladies and would like to transplant into 5 gallon pots...... any concerns??? - the soil is fox farm ocean forrest- thanks

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If you don't fuck too much with the roots yeah it can be done with minimal stress. It could lenghten the flowering a bit, but that also could mean a bit bigger harvest if everything else in your environment is good.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
That's a huge jump in pot size, for a plant that's about stopped rooting. At this stage, I wouldn't bother. Certainly not 5 times bigger.

Cuddles

Are the plants too small for the 1 gal pot? Does this strain usually grow to be really big - because if not, I wouldn´t bother with such pot change. :)
I´ve always read over and over again from other growers that you shouldn´t mess once they´re into flower because it stresses the plants out...

Three Berries

I think too it's too much of a jump. Should have done it near last two weeks of veg? And the new FF will have nitrogen nutes?

I have issues this time with big pots from the start using a 3.5 gal; wide as 5 gal but shorter. Won't do that again. Too much soil at first is hard to get the right nute mix going, especially with two different soils, especially with two different strains. :( It takes too much water for runoff, and then takes 3-4 days to dry out enough for another go.

But I plan on doing the solo cup>2gal>3.5 gal near end of veg.

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hey thanks... the reason i waited as i wanted to know if they were males, which get pulled , or ladies- i think this run, i'll leave em be in the 1 gallon pots- i have already taken 1/2 dozen cutting of each, so if one... or hopefully both are 'elites' i'll pot em bigger next time....

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
It's best to up-pot just one size at a time. One gallon into a 3 gallon would work, however planting in a 5-gallon pot will raise the water volume. way too much for flowering. If it were veg it would work but not for flowering. 😎

Three Berries

5 gallon in soil is way too big IMHO. The 3,5 gal ones are as wide but not as tall. 2,5 work good but get thirsty when in the flowering stage, might have to water twice a day.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have repotted 2-3 weeks into flowering with no problems, and the plants have rooted into the new soil fine, but i agree with others that 1 to 5 gallon is a bit of a big jump that may cause waterlogging in the soil.
Also, there is a difference between '2 weeks into flowering' when you are sexing a seed plant.. when flowering may be only just starting... and '2 weeks into flowering' with a mature clone that the sex is already known. Flowering doesn't really start straight away when flipping an immature seed plant to find out if it is m/f
VG

zachrockbadenof

Veteran
hey.... thanks for message.... the '2' i was thinking of transplanting are indeed from seed- i started em in solo cups, and then into the 1 gallon pots- didn't want to go larger as if they were males i cull em as don't have a lots of space in a 4x3.5ft tent-
i have another '6' clones (incl two diff of your bubba kush's) that i have in 5 gallon pots - and they r doing great- i'll post some pics once there is something to see... be safe

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Sure you can. Plants always like more root space. They will go through a couple days of adjustment but the burst of growth and flowering once recovered is well worth it.
​​​​​​
Above someone posted the roots are almost stopped growing. This is utterly false. The roots grow throughout flower. Otherwise when transplanting before flower and roots filling out a giant pot would not occur.

And lastly Switcher. You have 7000 post of utter bullshit that never adds anything to a conversation. Your post are the kind that make people feel dumb for asking questions. Just keep your nonsense to yourself. Planning ..what a dick thing to say. Go troll people on Facebook yo. Smh

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey.... thanks for message.... the '2' i was thinking of transplanting are indeed from seed- i started em in solo cups, and then into the 1 gallon pots- didn't want to go larger as if they were males i cull em as don't have a lots of space in a 4x3.5ft tent-
i have another '6' clones (incl two diff of your bubba kush's) that i have in 5 gallon pots - and they r doing great- i'll post some pics once there is something to see... be safe

i do a similar thing when sexing plants.. leave them in the smaller pots until i know if they male or female, and then up-pot as soon as i have found out. There would be no way to fit them all in otherwise ! i go from a 2 litre pot to a 6 litre pot so not quite such a jump, but it works fine for me. As lester says, the roots continue to grow all through flower.. maybe slowing down a bit towards the end. you may be ok going 1-5 gallons with plants that have just show sex..just be a bit careful not to leave the soil too wet for too long as they root into the new soil.

yes i'd be interested to see the bubbas.... they enjoy plenty of root space (and a bit extra veg) so glad they are in big pots!

VG :tiphat:

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
​​​​​​Above someone posted the roots are almost stopped growing. This is utterly false. The roots grow throughout flower. Otherwise when transplanting before flower and roots filling out a giant pot would not occur.

Our plants grow a healthy frame and root system, until turning their attention to reproduction. That is why you transplant before flower. Because you have about 3 weeks left after 12/12. With two weeks already gone, there is just one left before the plant has done stretching out in all directions. Of course, there can still be vegetative triggers right through flower. A lack of P for instance, will cause root elongation. However, I will quote you back to yourself. The final transplant is done in veg.

I have also done it a couple of weeks in, as I needed more water volume. It caused a growth spurt, which is plant steering towards veg. We want restrictions to steer a plant into bloom.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
f-e i think we would all agree that, in an ideal world, we would transplant before flower, but in the case of the OP, he has had the plants on 12/12 for 2 weeks and they have only just shown their sex, and many people will regard the day that the plant shows sex as day 1 of flowering despite the previous 12/12 period. with my limited space i transplant into bigger pots at this point very regularly, i always check the root growth after harvest and i have never experienced a lack of roots in the pot. The practice may cause extra stretch but this can be an advantage if you are able to deal with it.
I have also transplanted mature plants from clone up to 3-4 weeks in flower with a modestly bigger pot and again the roots have populated the new soil every time.
VG

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
When needs must, hey. I pot up on the day I initiate flowering with my bed grow. Some would say that's too late, but I call it the last day of the ideal window. That still leaves less than ideal choices that are still viable though. In organic growing the need could be strong, but I'm not sure why the OP feels the need. I don't ever see transplant shock, so that's not a reason I would advise against it. My main issue is making such a great jump. I don't believe they could ever use it, and if they do see it as an opportunity, it's eating into his flower time.

I hadn't noticed the 'just showing' bit. That does leave them still rooting at near full speed. If they look fine though, I wouldn't touch them. Growing root restriction might even be beneficial if they are slow.

I'm starting to think I should of collected a few more facts. Like the flowering period,.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah, there has always been a bit too much 'needs must' with my grows lol. i used to go from 3/4 gallon pot to 4 gallon and straight into flower a lot too, and then tame the stretch with scrog. i'd give them a week's veg if i could though for sure. in my 'big' cab i can veg 16 plants in 2litre pots and then flower 9 in 5.7 litre pots, thats all the space will allow, so if they are regular seeds i have to sex them before i pot the girls on for flowering.
VG

Latest posts

Latest posts