What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Over ripe bud and trichome question

911Lemmy

Has anyone had experience with letting some buds develop too long where they get over ripe? Attempting to find golden/amber trichomes, it appears that there are mainly cloudy trichome bulbs with many bulbless looking trichomes that look darker. Like they may have ripened to the golden color and gotten so saturated and full that they basically blew up or split the heads? Also, it got very hot during the late summer so not sure if heat could have had anything to do with it. I will attempt posting some photos.

Thanks

Attachments

• photo2086976.jpg
    photo2086976.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 87
  • photo2086978.jpg
    photo2086978.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 87
  • photo2086979.jpg
    photo2086979.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 71
  • photo2086980.jpg
    photo2086980.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 55
  • photo2086981.jpg
    photo2086981.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 48
  • photo2086982.jpg
    photo2086982.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 73
  • photo2086983.jpg
    photo2086983.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 44
  • photo2086984.jpg
    photo2086984.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 45
  • photo2086985.jpg
    photo2086985.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 50

911Lemmy

Also, some of the buds have small sections that are dry and come right off the plant, like its connected to the bud, but it has dried already and falls right off. Doesnt look diseased or something. Maybe something to do with the insects and bugs mentioned in the other thread?

Amynamous

I often let my (indica) flowers get over-ripe and use it for evening/bedtime. Works great! 👍

As for the stuff that falls right off, i believe it’s dryrot. I get that too and believe its from caterpillars.

Amynamous

when you let them over ripen, do you notice that the heads of trichomes will no longer be all mushroom like and bulbous?

Yes, i have noticed it.
I don’t believe it really affects the quality.
i was reading an article on trichomes a few weeks ago, and the article mentioned that cannabis has three types of trichomes, with the bulbous/mushroom kind being one if them.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
I've never experienced what you're describing exactly but I have seen other wonder or suggest the same thing, that the bulbs may have exploded. Nothing in my own grows have ever matched up to that and I've been able to get my plants where the buds had many more noticeable dark amber trichomes without it looking like a bunch exploded but one big difference in my case was I was only growing indoors. I have seen many trichomes where it looked like some loss there heads but I always equated that to maybe I touched them there or the plants brush against one another because of air movement in the grow room. The reason I suspect contact of some sort to be the more likely cause is because I would usually find at least a few trichomes in the same area that looked more like they had peen pushed together and the heads merged into one slightly bigger head.

Another observation I've made with regards to amber trichomes is that it's near impossible to achieve that 50/50 cloudy/amber ratio without letting the plants go significantly beyond their suggest harvest time, I'm talking 4-6 weeks beyond. The best I ever achieved was maybe 10%-12% amber. I don't know if this is unique to indoor growing, that it's strain specific or if maybe that 50/50 amber cloudy is just unrealistic. I do know that when a trichome is cloudy that's when it's at it's peak of ripeness and any development of amber color is a sign of the trichomes degrading. You mostly see people talking about amber trichomes in terms of achieving a more couchlock, put you to sleep drooling kind of high but I've had that experience with strains that had no signs of amber in them. So I'm not convinced you need to get amber trichomes to have that experience.

Greenheart

Veteran
I've done it too. Now I go for dominant cloudy with amber present and not much clear. I like a good couchlock myself.

BobChronic6505

I've taken a few strains several weeks extra, and I did not see any significant change in trichomes. If anything, the buds started shriveling, shrinking and losing weight, while the trichomes stayed pretty much the same.

im very interested in the trichome also. If you do decide to take this longer let us know what happens.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Plants produce trichomes to protect the calyx from the sun and heat and other extremes (insects). Once the calyx drys up and becomes infertile the trichomes wither away. When the bulbous/mushroom burst and fall off the plant, that is the last stage of its life, and potency declines. 😎

Gelato33grower

Amber colored trics just means the plant is done. I always wait for my trics to turn amber that way i dont count the days i just wait til i see amber then chop

St. Phatty

Plants produce trichomes to protect the calyx from the sun and heat and other extremes (insects). Once the calyx drys up and becomes infertile the trichomes wither away. When the bulbous/mushroom burst and fall off the plant, that is the last stage of its life, and potency declines. 😎

I think one of the purposes of the trichomes is to Be Sticky, for pollen sacs.

Sticky plants catch more pollen sacs, make more seeds, and "Win" Darwin-wise.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
But if that was the case, plants would only grow them on pistils. Seems quite counterproductive to catch pollen on other parts of the plant.

Latest posts

Latest posts