What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Looking for high yielding hydro strain

Kajuna

I am going to grow one photoperiod feminized plant in a 1x1x2M tent using a 30L bubble bucket and 600W HID lights.

I have always had good luck in the past with this setup, with the single plants producing about 250g of bud and a fair amount of shake, but the plants don't ever seem to fill out the space completely even though I do some topping and LST to maximise their potential. I'd like to get more out of the one plant if possible. I can't run two bubble buckets at the same time.

Can anyone please suggest a strain that would tend to produce a short to medium plant with a heavy yield? I tend to prefer the indicas, or hybrids with a powerful stone and not too tall.

I tend to stick to the old names like northern lights or white widow, etc., and don't know much about the newer strains, but I'm willing to try anything promising.

Thanks for any advice.

gizmo666

i've never grown hydro so cant comment on that side of things
but
i got near enough the same tent size as you i grow 4 plants in there
if your going for one i would say keep veging it and training it till it gives you a big enough canopy to fill the room

and how do you deal will your heat in the tent i could'nt use my 600w because of the heat output(running a 5" fan)
i ended up going led to avoid the heat
white widow is my regular grow always a good yielder for me

good luck with it

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
People don't want to step on other breeders' feet, I guess. I love White Widow too, and with the gear, you are using you should kick ass! There are thousands of plant seeds on the menu these days. Maybe you could find what you are looking for and share your research with us and find that killer strain.😎

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Sounds like you want an indica to smoke, but need some sativa qualities to fill the tent in a reasonable time.

Do you like a kush?

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
White Russian
Consistent plants from seed, very easy growing in hydro, massive yield of potent herb.

I know people who put kids through college with that strain.

Kajuna

Thanks everyone.
I am looking for a nice indica stone for nighttime use but I am surprised by how small the plants seem to stay.
I have used 7L pots and 11L and 20L pots and was worried that the plants may get too tall in the larger pots but they don't seem to make much difference. The 20L pots were only about two feet tall yet the seed info says they may reach 3-4 feet. I have easily gotten taller plants from smaller pots.
I would like a big bushy plant with thick colas that could fill up a 1 meter tent and maybe get 4 feet tall with topping and LST using a 30L hydro bubble. bucket setup and a 600W HID light.
Obviously, the stronger the pot the better.

bushed

A screen and a longer veg period will fill your space. Top multiple times and flip once the plant has filled out the screen.

I really wouldn't worry about selecting towards indica, you tend to end up with slow moving plants, that will take forever to fill the screen. Any strong well regarded hybrid will give you the relaxing feeling you are looking for.

If loud flavour is important there's a reason karma is so well regarded around here. If a huge yield and shorter flowering time are what you need critical mass will not disappoint. I've only tried it in crosses I got a bunch of different freebies all with it in. They were all great produced very chunky, nice smell and taste, relaxing high.

goingrey

How about Critical Mass from Mr. Nice? Or one of the many feminized knockoffs (look for something with "Critical" in its name).

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The Crit is the new BB. It's compact nature and tendency towards few but large buds, don't make it a space filler.
Something with a bit more stretch and more lateral branching would be better to fill a large net.

goingrey

The Crit is the new BB. It's compact nature and tendency towards few but large buds, don't make it a space filler.
Something with a bit more stretch and more lateral branching would be better to fill a large net.

So what would you suggest then?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So what would you suggest then?

Possibly one of it's crosses. Though it's structure is a trait people are trying to breed in usually.
Keeping to the classics, #1 would fit the bill. It shares the afghan backbone, but with more sativa in the mix. Bringing the extra stretch and branching, with some citrous skunky tones that give a much more complex flavour.
Or, just up the hill within Afghanistan are the hindu kush mountains. Where natural selection gives us a good bush that won't get too big.

I think the #1 might be the best fit. If a classic is called for.

St. Phatty

You could probably order seeds at random and still get some decent bud.

Once I needed seeds and started about 100 seeds from some seedy Mexican Mersh (pressed brick) pot.

One of the plants was super, LOTS of resin, skunky, etc.

One way to get seeds - just go on vacation in Humboldt.

Stay at the Motel 6.

Walk around until you smell someone smoking pot.

Then ask them if they have any seeds !

Chances are it will be some really good seeds.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Brain teaser:
Plant A takes 7 weeks and gives 5oz
Plant B takes 10 weeks, and gives 7oz
Which plant yields the most

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Plant A
Back to the OP, I don't think you should be seeking a short plant. You want a plant that stretches so it will fill out the screen. Critical does not stretch a whole lot so you would need to have the screen filled up as you go into flower. With a plant that stretches 1.5x you do not want the screen filled by the flip. It will fill in as the stretch continues the first two weeks of flower, this saving time.

I still say White Russian.. Serious Seeds