What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sick of clear trichomes!!!

BobChronic6505

I cannot get trichomes to turn amber. People talk about 50/50 cloudy/amber but I'm doing good just to get 50/50 clear/clowdy. Every bit of bud I've grown that had alot of clear trichomes gives me the worst headache, and the buzz is terrible. I dont even know how to describe it, but it's terrible.

If it's true what they say about the trichomes, then I can only assume the clear trichomes are the reason why my bud sucks and the reason why the buzz is terrible.

Here is a picture I took from reddit.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ Am I correct in assuming these trichomes are loaded with way more medicine (even tho it may be degraded into cbg or whatever), than clear trichomes??? How do I get my trichomes to turn amber like this?!! And these trichs are completely cloudy also, how do ppl do this?

Here are my trichomes
2021_10_21_01_46_31_549.png
2021_10_21_01_46_49_485.png
2021_10_21_01_46_09_856.png

Does anyone in here really get amber trichomes?? How can I get trichomes like the first picture?!

Thanks in advance

M

member 505892

I'm not a real expert on checking trichomes, i just chop when i feel it's time, but don't you just have to wait longer and they'll all eventually turn amber?

BobChronic6505

I'm not a real expert on checking trichomes, i just chop when i feel it's time, but don't you just have to wait longer and they'll all eventually turn amber?

That's what ppl say, but I've let some go so long that they started throwing nanners, bud starts to turn really dark colored, stops drinking water, etc..but I didnt notice any substantial changes in trichs, which is very disheartening.

Is not enough light a possibility? Or not intense enough light? It happens to all my grows, LED, HPS, coco, synthetic, organic., I dont know what else to do

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Trichomes only change because the season changes. If you fade the lighting and do not keep the same light intensity they will turn. I have used high-hanging fluorescent lighting with the same photoperiod the last week with good results. Or you can raise your lights for the last 10 days. Another way is to put your plants outdoors the last week or two if the weather is mild and you match the photoperiod. Environmental change is key. 😎

BobChronic6505

Trichomes only change because the season changes. If you fade the lighting and do not keep the same light intensity they will turn. I have used high-hanging fluorescent lighting with the same photoperiod the last week with good results. Or you can raise your lights for the last 10 days. Another way is to put your plants outdoors the last week or two if the weather is mild and you match the photoperiod. Environmental change is key. 😎

Ok this is an interesting suggestion I could try.
What if I had other flowering plants at different stages in the same tent? Would it fuck them up real bad ?

What do you think about 1 to 3 days of complete darkness before harvest? Especially in tandem with 10 days of light dimming?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
is the green fading in your plants towards the end? letting them fade out with less nutrition will help turn them.
Let the soil dry out a bit too if you in soil

VG

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Like the others are saying, sometimes you have to tell the plant it is time to die. Reduce the light - raise it or dimmer it down or reduce the light hours. Reduce the temp if you can. Reduce the feed - water & nutes. But do it all gradually . . .

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I never look. I know people that have got quite hung up on the idea, having read the suggestion it's a guide to readiness. It's not though. Not all plants do it, so you could be waiting a while. Those that do, are telling you something about the harvest window. Which to my ears is 'you missed it' as I don't want the degradation (CBN is an oxidation product of THC)

PassionForMJ

I agree with trout, I have never seen them not turn amber if you wait long enough, but know when you see amber that is when THC degradation has begun,
But by the sound of what you want, I'd go for 50/50 Cloudy/Amber, this will be nice and more of a body high..

What strain are you growing what has this issue?
What are it's suggested flowering times?
How long along are you?

BobChronic6505

I never look. I know people that have got quite hung up on the idea, having read the suggestion it's a guide to readiness. It's not though. Not all plants do it, so you could be waiting a while. Those that do, are telling you something about the harvest window. Which to my ears is 'you missed it' as I don't want the degradation (CBN is an oxidation product of THC)

I agree that you can tell visually that buds are done, regardless of what the trichomes look like.

I can get buds to the finish line, flush them, they look decent enough, but when you scope them all the trichs are clear as fuck.

Do you agree that a cloudy trichome has more thc than a clear? If so, that tells me that my plants are not producing thc, even tho they grow into mature looking buds. This is what I'm trying to fix. I need my plants making medicine

BobChronic6505

Like the others are saying, sometimes you have to tell the plant it is time to die. Reduce the light - raise it or dimmer it down or reduce the light hours. Reduce the temp if you can. Reduce the feed - water & nutes. But do it all gradually . . .

Significant temperature and light reduction is the only thing I havent really tried, so going to have to look into making this work

BobChronic6505

Significant temperature and light reduction is the only thing I havent really tried, so going to have to look into making this work

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Grow more nld style plants and you will get that cloudy/ amber back in your life .

Which narrow leaf of yours shows amber at harvest window, I wonder.

If it's true what they say about the trichomes, then I can only assume the clear trichomes are the reason why my bud sucks and the reason why the buzz is terrible.

Thanks in advance

Harvest with amber as a signal, no. I want the plant taken at it's peak, and some amber can be past peak,
likely much of the plant is amber that you don't see.

Cloudy clear is better to me than cloudy amber in the cuts I flower.

Choose the cultivar for effect, avoid the amber trap.lol.

I wonder what your drying/ sweating method is, and how long in the jar your stash is before using,

There are a few points in flowering/ drying/ sweating you may have overlooked.

Assuming the plants are taken in the recommended harvest window + time allowing for watts/temp, etc.

That your nute regiment allows for tapering off near the chop.

Your pics show decent development, no amber, but still worthy.

Re examine your process step by step and perhaps you may pinpoint the reason for the lackluster stash you make.

Were all hoping you to get better results, so good luck and keep us posted.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I agree that you can tell visually that buds are done, regardless of what the trichomes look like.

I can get buds to the finish line, flush them, they look decent enough, but when you scope them all the trichs are clear as fuck.

Do you agree that a cloudy trichome has more thc than a clear? If so, that tells me that my plants are not producing thc, even tho they grow into mature looking buds. This is what I'm trying to fix. I need my plants making medicine

I have not noticed them growing in size as they get cloudy. Are they not excretions? I really don't look at them beyond quantity. I know some people can talk about head shapes like it matters, but I'm a consumer more than a botanist. I like to chop early in the window. Before the neanderthal forehead sets in. Which I personally connect with the volume of feed that's passed through the bud. Chemical load of sorts. Like solvent abuse.
An early chop gives the cleanest buzz. Of that I'm sure. I have plenty so the ultimate strength isn't worth me pursuing. I like to empty my pipe while it's still green at the bottom. I'm no longer interested in dry herb. I want that nice 60% RH flavour pallet. Almost vaping with a pipe and lighter.

If they are not growing bigger, and what is there is degrading, then I don't suppose the THC content is climbing.
I think there is more going on than THC though. Which is the only thing we are really thinking about here. Having spent years interested in nothing else. We know a lot more about THC than other things.

Perhaps start chopping a bud a week from week 6, and keeping them in a bovida controlled jar. You can keep them apart in separate paper bags. Then when you have weeks 6 to 10 ready, you can see what you think to the finishing window.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
NLD?
Heresy lol

I'm so broad leaf orientated, that might be why I have not noticed it in years
Sorry, I mean indica orientated. You are leading me astray :)

Reactions: GMT

Latest posts

Latest posts