What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY and other hydroponic formulas.

CannaT

starin' at the world through my rearview
Premium user
I have been working on the classic Hoagland solution for years using pure salts of Haifa.
What are your experiences with other fertilizer solutions and fertilizer brands. For the recycling system.

I'm thinking of changing purely to see how other solutions affect the same cuttings .... so far I'm very happy with this Hoagland for years.

CannaT

Premium user
Are you using nitrogen-free Hoagland powder?😎

Hi,C im not using his powders I didnt knwo they exist I googled it after your post,I use mostly his formula but made some improvents myself i use Haifa group salts with added KOH and HNO₃ up and down....

What are you using,do you have some advices ???

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
No advice but, I'm interested in Hoagland and trying to learn more about it. Do you mix each ingredient for a complete fertilizer and change the formula as the plant changes its needs?😎

CannaT

Premium user
No advice but, I'm interested in Hoagland and trying to learn more about it. Do you mix each ingredient for a complete fertilizer and change the formula as the plant changes its needs?😎

I use pure salts in form of
1. Ca(NO3)2
2 MgSO4
3 K2SO3
4 KH2PO4
5 H3BO3
6 K2SiO3

and mix them to get this ratio.
  • N 210 ppm
  • K 235 ppm
  • Ca 200 ppm / 160 ppm
  • P 31 ppm
  • S 64 ppm
  • Cl 0.14 ppm / 0.65 ppm
  • Na 0.023 ppm / 1.2 ppm
  • Mg 48.6 ppm
  • B 0.11 ppm / 0.5 ppm
  • Mn 0.11 ppm / 0.5 ppm
  • Zn 0.023 ppm / 0.05 ppm
  • Cu 0.014 ppm / 0.02 ppm
  • Mo 0.018 ppm / 0.048 ppm / 0.011 ppm
  • Fe 1 ppm / 2.9 ppm / 5 ppm
I add some ''boosters'' if needed but overal dosent need much change for flowering they act like they grow in soil fading nicely before harvest....The Hoagland solution, which is supposed to mimic a nutrient-rich soil solution...It best formula often when growing same cut its better grown with this formula then most commercial weed nutrients.

I added some improvents based on Mulder's Chart but thats my secrets indrigents.....XD

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Super information and very interesting to me. When you mix, do you weigh the ingredients, and mix dry, or use liquid ppm for measurement? 😎

CannaT

Premium user
Nice. Does that yeld no defficiencies at all.

Hi,Here are many phenos while pheno hunt in room. Different strains,cultivars...on this nutes I wrote before i dont saw many defficiencies at al...just normal signs of old days for plants....

And my plants taste and smell even better than organic grown...but i dont like
to speak in public, but I stand behind my words and whoever wants to try can find a way to be convinced of that. XD

When you see gruop shot of plants they act like they are in soil.

Of all the hydroponic fertilizer philosophies this one seems to me the best to simply mimic quality soil. While the new formulas try to inoculate the plant with various shit and that is why most of the new fertilizers are bad for me. After all, over 17,000 scientific studies have been done on this formula ... and I think that says it all.

Last edited:

CannaT

Premium user
And here are some autos when i grew them I use only tap water from start to begining no added nutrients at all....lok how they fade....so close to my hydro plants....they are living
beings know what they want, they just need to have everything on the table....XD

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Awesome plants and buds, they look like soil-grown to perfection! Those plants look happier than being outside! You say you used tap only in the fade in the above photos. What is the ec and pH of the tap water you are using during the fad? You use RO water with the nutrients you mix correct,?😎

CannaT

Premium user
Awesome plants and buds, they look like soil-grown to perfection! Those plants look happier than being outside! You say you used tap only in the fade in the above photos. What is the ec and pH of the tap water you are using during the fad? You use RO water with the nutrients you mix correct,?😎

To tell you the truth I don't know,while reading chem and biology I found out...when plants grow in Soil
they act like miners in a mine....So PH and EC are not importent in soil...I never mesure PH and EC in mother plants or soil grown autos....In fact I think that soil grown is much more
worse than hydro grow....all buds I ever smoked which were top class always were hydro grown by experts.....
I competed with some people who swore on organics, were grow on the same cuttings of mine and theirs strains .... and my final product was always much more aromatic and of better quality than when planted in the dirt.

I dont have much expirence with dirt...after few first grows i switched to coco,then pure hyroponics various setups....vertical,E&F,DWC... and now only run RDWC with many waterfalls in sistem for highly oxinated water....

Yes I use RO water 0000ppm and then mix pure salts of highest quality...in hyroponic setup.....if you use tap water some elements that plant want eat will react each other and ruin all nutrient regime.....Ph of hyroponic solution when is mixed is 6.0 and EC 1.2-1.4

In fact all this ph and ec in soil is like legal body builidng suplements proteins,cretine and shit in realitiy they are doing nothing
or so little that it is negligible...
in fact the whole market has been developed on the basis of real hormones and chemicals taken by professionals BB's....so that mesuring of PH and EC in soil is the same way.....
they try to mimic hydroponics in soil.
And when you smoked buds like that you taste ''hessi''taste in them.....heavy metal and burned taste of earth....awfulll tasted buds.
Like hydro with tap water basis....and people will say too much minerals in this buds.....heavy to burned and shits like that......I remember my first grow ever it was soil....i feed it with hessy and mesuring ph and shits....then when i start flush i find out that plant has recovering and looking better....after that second grow...

I feed 3 times in entire grow with hessi.... 1 time before switch to 12/12. second time after switch and last time in 4th week of flower...and between just pure tap water....i use strengt what was written in bottle...i dont remember but i think it was 2ml/1L...and this time buds were much better....in realitiy if you are soil grower you cant do nothing much more then start with good soil....

Last edited:

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sorry I missed understood you when I read recycling. I was thinking of recirculating water hydroponics and you were adding the salts into the water instead of soil. My mistake, however, you only feeding your plants 3 times in a growing cycle is amazing and your plants look super tasty. What kind of substrate are your plants growing in and using with hessi salts? You have me interested.😎

CannaT

Premium user
I'm sorry I missed understood you when I read recycling. I was thinking of recirculating water hydroponics and you were adding the salts into the water instead of soil. My mistake, however, you only feeding your plants 3 times in a growing cycle is amazing and your plants look super tasty. What kind of substrate are your plants growing in and using with hessi salts? You have me interested.😎

Yes I have RDWC recirculating hydro system....English is not my native so sometimes I say something wrong....Im growing in hydro with Haifa gruop salts....And my first grow ever was soil grow with hessi nutrients...now is much more clear I think ?

What I was trying to say that if you are soil grower you cant do more then have good soil if your soil at start is no good,you cant get good results...

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Your English is fine I don't see very well. Do you use the salts only 3 times per 3 months grow cycle? How long do you keep the salts in the water? Don't you have to clean up your system and exchange water regularly? I sure wish I was there to see your work to get a better understanding of what you are doing. Do you have to buffer your pH or lower it with acid? 😎

CannaT

Premium user
Your English is fine I don't see very well. Do you use the salts only 3 times per 3 months grow cycle? How long do you keep the salts in the water? Don't you have to clean up your system and exchange water regularly? I sure wish I was there to see your work to get a better understanding of what you are doing. Do you have to buffer your pH or lower it with acid? 😎

I change my res completly,clean and dezinfect at harvest.
I use salts when I see that EC is to low....

KOH four PH up,

HNO₃ for PH down,

No whit that 3 times at entire grow is on soil grows i did before I figured out that most importent is good soil...and sometimes you need to put some nutrients in soil and thats all....3 times in entire grow feeding I was doing like that when i growed in soil.....IN hydroponic setup and RO water if no nutrients plants will die....Soil is soil and root will mine what they want....

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Got it! In order to max root diffusion, for root interception, I should amend the soil with 3 times as much salts to allow roots to mine for what they need. Makes a lot of sense to me. Thank you so much for offering and sharing your hard work. It's so interesting how you grow your plants.

I'm working on a project now, boosting the Cation Exchange Capacity in soil-less mixes. By raising the electric conductivity in the root zone, I can boost the exchange capacity. Using this method I can grow with 1/3 the amount of nutrients and get the same super growth. 😎

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
I have discovered that I can increase the Cation Exchange by inserting an organic core in the middle of a soil-less mix. A reg potting mix can be supercharged into a "super-charged-hydro equal" using this method. The growth is amazing and at first thought, it was just a freak accident. However after trying and using this method about 8 times I am now convinced that it is true the Cation is boosted up to 200%! . 😎

Latest posts

Latest posts