What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a better time to chop the plant during the 12/12 daylight cycle?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
My Runtz rabbit is showing enough dark trics, and it's time to chop. Does when the plant gets chopped (morning, afternoon, or evening) in the light cycle matter?

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
Some people claim the chemical activity is stronger first thing in the morning. That would be 1-2 hours after lights on. I would love to see a study about this to see if it really matters.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Mainly just as a matter of longtime habit, I harvest my outdoor plants in the early morning, within the first few hours of light.....usually before 9 am.

However, on the occasions I have chopped in late afternoon or early evening due to whatever reason, I have not really noticed any perceivable difference in the final product..

In other words, I wouldn't loose any sleep worrying about it...

I will however, just out of habit, try to do my chop during the first few hours of light...

therevverend

Veteran
It's not just cannabis, most herbs and vegetables are best picked early in the morning before the temperature heats up and the sun hits the plants. One simple reason is that a vegetable that's not wilted has a longer shelf life. I'd much rather hang my cannabis plants before they've had a chance to wilt then after to preserve the shape and form of the flowers. I've read that the increased respiration and chemical synthesis that happens during the day converts sugars to starches meaning fruits and veggies are sweeter and more flavorful in the morning. The same logic would apply to cannabis.

Cannabinoids and terpenes evaporate and break down when exposed to light and heat. An experiment you can try is to look at and smell your flowers early in the morning, then in the late afternoon of the same day. Usually they appear to be frostier and will smell more aromatic early in the day. A friend explains it as the resin 'melting' after a few hours in the heat of the sun, then crystalizing again overnight. He's not a scientist and I don't know that's what's happening but it's as good an explanation as any.

Here's a link to a couple sites about how and when to pick regular garden herbs. The advice is for stuff like sage, rosemary, and lavender but cannabis is harvested and dried the same way. They make the point that the aromatic oils tend to evaporate during the heat of the day. It's best to pick them on a dry day, after the dew has evaporated but before the temperature has warmed up. If it's not possible to harvest early in the day they recommend harvesting in the early evening around dusk. I don't mind a bit of dew on my cannabis (as long as it's not a lot) because it'll keep it from wilting before I get a chance to hang it.

https://www.theprairiehomestead.com...erbs-3-easy-ways-to-dry-herbs-guest-post.html

http://www.herbsociety-stu.org/harvesting--drying-and-storing-herbs.html

Of course sometimes you'll have to harvest NOW, not early in the morning. Or maybe you like to sleep in. I've seen research on how much the cannabinoids fluctuate through the day, wish I could find the chart or paper, but it isn't a huge amount. 1 or 2% at the most if I remember correctly. You aren't going to ruin a crop harvesting in the middle of the day, it'll still be great stuff if you handle and cure it properly. But if you're a perfectionist and want everything to be to the nib to the day you'll want to be up with the birds.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
For many years people chased the highest THC, with little interest in other properties. The plant was most actively making thc at the height of the day. After which it would degrade. So the time to get the best 'thc:eek:ther stuff' ratio was 1pm. This idea fell away with the move indoor, where there is no peak in the day. Then later our interests became less focused on THC before everything else. So we never hear about that anymore.

I'm going to suggest that what you are looking for, influences the best time to chop.

For me, the best time is when everyone has gone to bed. The plants are less of a concern. I like to do my trim, then get the smell shifted during the night.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
For many years people chased the highest THC, with little interest in other properties. The plant was most actively making thc at the height of the day. After which it would degrade. So the time to get the best 'thc:eek:ther stuff' ratio was 1pm. This idea fell away with the move indoor, where there is no peak in the day. Then later our interests became less focused on THC before everything else. So we never hear about that anymore.

I'm going to suggest that what you are looking for, influences the best time to chop.

For me, the best time is when everyone has gone to bed. The plants are less of a concern. I like to do my trim, then get the smell shifted during the night.
There is definitely a camp that swears high THC is where its at. I don't belong to that camp. I'll explain...

There is empirical data out there to tie high THC levels to increased anxiety and paranoia. To some, that's what floats their boat. OTOH if one was to use pure THC concentrates (I have), it is kind of blah, for the lack of a better word. It all depends what you are after. In the end, a balanced product is where it is at. Moderate THC with a trippy or/but relaxing profile. :tiphat:

hayday

Veteran
Everything I have studied leads me to believe an early morning harvest was the proper time to harvest.If I can’t cut in the first hour after lights on then I cut next day. Also , I don’t water for two days before cut. This lessens the chance of mold while drying.In the past I have lost more than a few main colas that were dense and wet through and through.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Everything I have studied leads me to believe an early morning harvest was the proper time to harvest.If I can’t cut in the first hour after lights on then I cut next day. Also , I don’t water for two days before cut. This lessens the chance of mold while drying.In the past I have lost more than a few main colas that were dense and wet through and through.
... something I do the last 2 weeks of flower is to drop my settings to 75/55 lights on and ambient/55 lights out. I have not lost any plants to mold.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
On the mold tip, I chop individual buds out the side of my larger colas. Simply to let air in. I have seen it work like a fire break sometimes. So I just lost half a head.