What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

first time...

bleak

Hello guys/gals. I've been brewing ideas for an indoor grow for some time now, but have unsuccesful due to a variety of factors.

Because of this I'm looking to growing outdoors. I have a solid location, 72 longitude 43 lad, located in a very secluded area (no one will ever be allowed in.) Now I was wondering what I should do, like clearing an area, etc...I've been told animals are prone to go after the plants, so should i close off the area with some chicken wire? Also please give me some info about what strain I should (maybe a generous someone will donate some nice seeds for the first time grower :) ), if I should start them indoors under some fluros now, and when they should be transplanted outside. I was also wondering what maintaince needs to be kept when growing outdoors. The area is located on a lake, so the weather varies a lot. Thanks for the help everyone, i really appreciate it. Let's just hope I have a lovely harvest at the end of it all.

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
Welcome. Don't plant to close to the lake as mold could be a factor,not to mention somebody hiking up to hang out at the lake and smoke some bud, this happens even on private property so be careful. Don't use blood meal to fertilize unless you want to attract bears or other carnivors. If you use chicken wire make sure to string it high enough, deer can jump quite high when motivated. Good luck.:cool:

bleak

i'll keep in part the mind about the mold. as for people coming along, it's hard enough to find and anyone one who actually makes it far enough to get to the place should be there anyways :) no bears in this part so i could maybe use blood meal. could you guys maybe give me some feedback on the location, refer to first post, and maybe give me some ideas when to put the plants into the ground. thanks

I have severalof suggestions. Start the plants idoors and transplant. Skunks and racoons will dig up stinky stuff also. Deer will eat your plants. Stay away from deer trails and scatter your plants. Also, oone plant here and ther isn't as noticeable.

Also watch the sun. Make sure there's plenty of sunshine. Plant on the north side of an opening, not the south.

Just a few thoughts.

bleak

I'll keep all of that in mind. How many hours should I be looking for? If i do scatter plants, just use chicken wire around each one? I'll have to look out for deer, i havent seen any in a while. also suggestions on some strains would be appreciated :) and i was wondering about maintaince...do I need to tend to the plants daily, weekly? thanks guys I appreciate it so much.

nugsOFjustice

How many hours should I be looking for?
>It depends, Ive heard people say they have had plants survive and flower substantially in 8hrs of sun. However, that may not be true when finding a spot I think the most hours of sunlight possible is the best. It differs from area to area, and where the plants are located. But try and shoot for a lot of sun time.
(10-18hrs even)

If i do scatter plants, just use chicken wire around each one?
>>This works great, but make sure your location is secure enough that you can do so without people hiking, hunting or any other transients who shouldnt be there; seeing it. Last season we kept the chicken wire around our plots of 2-3 plants until they were around 3ft high and rather solid. Once they get to a rather stable hight, and the roots are strongly grown into the ground your odds of them getting eaten are a little better. (dont hold me to that, anything can happen; it is the GREAT outdoors afterall).

I'll have to look out for deer, i havent seen any in a while.
>> You might not see any, but trust me; theyre out there. Pesky little buggers too!!:D

and i was wondering about maintaince...do I need to tend to the plants daily, weekly? thanks guys I appreciate it so much.
>> Daily is a great thing; IF you can do it daily. If you are guerilla growing sometimes visiting the location daily may leave a large trail, as well as bring heat to the spot. Best bet is to go weekly during the transplanting stages, and until they are rather well rooted and established into the ground. Keep checking back and watering, giving them the suggested amount of nutes and fertilizers etc. Pick a set day that isnt too busy, for all of our outdoor guerilla grows we normally went on a sunday evening - sunday being the day that a lot of people like to take easy and necessarilly wont be out and about. Just safety precautions.

But remember, even though its fun and a great experience, depending on where you are doint it and how much your growing ANYTHING can happen, theft, damage, natural disasters etc...SO just be smart about it and PLAN AHEAD!

Last edited:

bleak

thanks nugs, some great info for me there. any places I should be reading up on nuts? maybe you could throw me a pm or something and we could chat? Thanks man :)

enter sandman

I'll keep all of that in mind. How many hours should I be looking for? If i do scatter plants, just use chicken wire around each one? I'll have to look out for deer, i havent seen any in a while. also suggestions on some strains would be appreciated :) and i was wondering about maintaince...do I need to tend to the plants daily, weekly? thanks guys I appreciate it so much.

The more sun the better - but you will get an adequate yield with 4-6 hours of direct sunlight. Many times a newbie outdoor grower will pass on grow spots they find that give 4-6 hours of direct light because they have been told that they need at least 8 or more hours. That is complete rubbish. I've been growing outdoors for 30+ years and my average hours of sunlight I get is from 4-6 and I get monster plants and massive yields. As long as you have enough dry gallons of good soil, good fertilizer and regular water...and start them off early so that they will grow big during veg.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts