What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swamp tubes

bob dole

Well so far so good, I tried a few last year with some success so at it again with a few more (-:

Dry summer where I am this year, but still these are doing very well

lemonade

Veteran
Cool, so they're in containers with the no bottom and stuck in the moist ground?

Always wanted to try that. So dry around here that irrigation is a must.

Last edited:

bob dole

The yubes are about 40'' long , 12'' peat moss crushed lime mixed in and then topped up with promix HP mix in AN heavy harvest

But there's been no rain so I don't think there getting much food, what should I foliar fedd them with to give them the max nitrogen?

Sheriff Bart

Deputy Spade
Veteran
botanicare has good products, specificlly the pro pure blend or w/e
2img1249qg9.jpg

those are looking nice though, interesting way to grow. were having a "severe drought" right now here, maybe I will give this a shot next year If i can find a good location...

although it seems a mold resistant strain would be a must. do you know yours?

Last edited:
DirtDevil said:
This method has always interested me. Where can you get the tubes? What exactly am I looking for?

the tubes i've used are simply pvc schd40. keep in mind thet they will 'stick out'. must be camo'ed. trail to and fro' is hard to camo. also need to be taken down after harvest as they will be found if ur growing on public land. they be crawlin' with peoples during hunting season. ive tried this method and got about 1-2 oz/plant, could have been the plant. i did this one time to see how it would work in a strealth guerilla grow. i used clones and made 4 visits, 3wks apart. including harvest. frost here any time after 9/1, but a swamp grow may not frost as early.

Last edited:

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
Very, very nice Bob Dole!
Bob Dole knows what he likes when he sees it, Bob Dole does not mess around. Bob Dooooooooooole!

Thats a great idea using Concrete forms, I'm sure its cheeper to use than Pipe(and easier to find).
I'm sure Bob Dole will elaborate more on this DirtDevil, but these are hard cardboard tubes that are used by contractors for pouring concrete piers and footings, you should find them at your local building supply.

Again, very good idea! This one goes in my ICmag favorites!

Hindu Killer

Veteran
I to like the idea....had been thinking of the same stuff card board tubes. My swamp tubes are doing ok...just the plants arent very big...mix???? Not sure. Doubt I get a QP per tube...as they are budding 12 inch single colas. 10 wks left though!

filimagno

yes yes ...good trick...ain't nothing but the plastic or the net with plasticlayer to simplify the job of our passion...that sometimes is transform himself in a dirty and hard work!!!both for making holes or puttin dripping sistems or daily hand watering.

G

awesome job bob dole! how well do they retain moisture? you said it was dry, have you had to hand water at all? swamp growing is awesome, i need to find me another swamp! :D

Last edited:
G

swamp growing

swamp growing

Very nice bob dole!!
I too have some plants growing in a swamp, and they are some of my best plants this year- mainly because lack of water. I cut the majority of the bottom out of 4- 5 gallon buckets. Then sink them in about 1/2- 3/4 into the "muck" on a few higher spots. Here is a pic of a plant that has never been watered, and is in a 5 gallon bucket (and I haven't seen rain in 3 weeks :bashhead: ):

Right now she is about 7' tall, and sees the sun all day. The area is dry but if you stomp down, water will fill your footprints.

bob dole

Here are some more tube pics, I have sprayed them twice with B-52 , Scorpion juice and grozyme.

There has been almost no rain so they havent been getting fed with the heavy harvest like planned so spraying really helps out!

Again all plants are Great white Shark

bongasaurus

king of the dinosaurs
Veteran
arent those sonotubes made of heavy duty waxed cardboard? i didnt think they would last more than a season...

phrank

questions....

questions....

1) How tall are those tubes?

2) Do you think the fact that your tubes are rather tall, works to keep the soil dry? I am asking because I tried growing in mounds of Pro-Mix in a marsh, and the mounds were not very tall. Consequently, the mounds were a bit too wet for the plants liking, and so they yellowed and eventually died.

3) Can you think of any reason that containers of a similar size to the concrete tubes could not be used, as I have dozens of tall narrow black plastic 10 gallon pots sitting around..? I will admit that the brown cardboard tubes are a bit more stealthy in terms of color than said containers, but I could always wrap the plastic containers in burlap.

Would love to hear your thoughts! Anyway, congrats on a beautiful grow!

phrank

PS The shark is absolute killer!!!

Last edited:

bob dole

Our tubes are abour 36'' tall some shorter like 16'' and range from 10'' around to 14'' around.

Yes I ripped open a tube and very dry at the top nice and moist in the middle and wet at the bottom.

I'm actually thinking these tubes are a very good way to grow but the brown cardoard ones i have seem to have some sort of mold at the base? but so far no problems.

I also used some yellow ones and they seem to have a nicer green plant compared to the brown tubes.......i'll get to the bottom of that one!

phrank

even more questions....

even more questions....

1) You said that some of your tubes are 16" and some are 36" - which are performing better?

2) You said that you fill the bottom 12" of the tubes with peat moss and crushed lime, and the remainder of the tube with Pro-Mix HP. Why the bottom Peat Moss and crushed lime layer, and how much lime to how much peat moss?

3) Could you estimate the volume of soil held by a 36" tube?

4) In your experience, how much can a single tube yield?

Finally, thanks for the inspiration, as there are many huge wide-open marshes in my area!!!

wahoo,

phrank

lemonade

Veteran
"Could you estimate the volume of soil held by a 36" tube?"

3.14 (pi) x 7squared x 36" = 5538.96 cubic inches. 213 cubic inches/gallon so 5538.96/213 = 26 gallons.

So a 14" wide tube 36" long should hold about 26 gallons. Don't go by me though, i suck at math. :rasta: