What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is the biggest El Niño on record, and a killer La Niña is coming

R

Robrites

Super Rain on large parts of the west coast in Mexico and Cali will supply much needed water but will no doubt result in damage due to flooding and mud slides. The La Niña ocean conditions will then cause Summer drought in California and South America. The east and southeast parts of America can expect high numbers of hurricanes and other major storms.

Outdoor growers need to plan ahead for nasty weather and adequate water supplies.

We need to work our smartest next season - Mother Nature might be on a bitchy streak.

What are things we can do to prepare for bad weather years?

St. Phatty

Super Rain on large parts of the west coast in Mexico and Cali will supply much needed water but will no doubt result in damage due to flooding and mud slides.

What are things we can do to prepare for bad weather years?

OK I need some time to think about it, but if El Nino means more rain in the Pac Northwest, to replenish aquifers ... I'll take floods over fires any day. I think.

Not that a re-filled aquifer is a guarantee fire-wise, but it helps. It's what allows you to keep a green area around structures during wildfire season.

Personally I would like to see 1/2 of the rain diverted into some holding pattern so that it comes down in July, August, and September.

By 'bad weather' you mean too much rain ?

All I can think of to prepare for that is good rain catchment ... but that makes me think of states that have problems with citizens doing the rain barrel thing.

Water rights bullshit. Like the movie Chinatown (which was about water rights) but no less dramatic for the people who get harassed and assaulted by the state, over their water catchment or pond-building.

So I guess that in some states, Stealth is part of water catchment.

R

Robrites

El Niño may trigger floods, famine and sickness in much of the world

El Niño may trigger floods, famine and sickness in much of the world

From the LATIMES

A fog of suffocating smoke settles over the Indonesian countryside, sickening hundreds of thousands of people and triggering an environmental crisis.

In Peru, officials abandon plans to host the lucrative Dakar Rally and prepare instead for torrential rains and devastating floods.

And in Ethiopia, crops perish for lack of seasonal rain as United Nations officials warn of imminent famine.

Although many Californians hope forecasts of a "Godzilla" El Niño will deliver drought-busting rains this winter, mention of the mysterious climate phenomenon inspires dread in much of the world.

Its long-distance, or teleconnected, effects are so great that some researchers argue it doubles the risk of war in much of the Third World.

"It's a spawner of hazards everywhere," said El Niño researcher Michael "Mickey" Glantz, director of the Consortium for Capacity Building at the University of Colorado, Boulder.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-el-nino-global-impact-20151030-story.html#nt=outfit

R

Robrites

Holiday travelers be warned: Huge snowstorm coming to Sierra Nevada

Holiday travelers be warned: Huge snowstorm coming to Sierra Nevada

Might be time to get those slow finishers harvested....

Nearly 20 inches of snow could fall on the Sierra Nevada from Yosemite National Park to north of Lake Tahoe this week. Drivers could find blocked and buried mountain passes this Thanksgiving holiday, authorities warned.

A massive storm, reaching across about half of the state, is expected to move in Tuesday and peak Wednesday, where it will drop up to 18 inches of snow on mountain summits from Shasta County and Lake Tahoe to Yosemite, said Nathan Owen, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Sacramento.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
Not much we can do to prepare for lots of rain. Strain selection, the normal mold/pm precautions. Tie shit up and hunker down

Space Toker

Veteran
I saw the title and had to answer, forgive me in advance I think I may need it! ;)
Remember the Chris Farley skit, El nino Spanish for the Nino?! Numerous things on SNL and late night shows seemed way more funny then rather than now, but this was a rare few that still seems as funny now as then. I could have imagined a La Nina skit if he lived longer, RIP big man! But yeah this could be a record el nino and so a record la nina is not out of the question but either way (despite me fretting often in an opposite direction) the world is not going to end. We will endure it and go on... but, the larger global warming thing could cause more disruption.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, supposedly in certain sections of the country/world (recall several El Niño's in my lifetime, esp. 1997-1998 and this purportedly similar for 2016), a wetter colder year (winter), great for skiing and run off for rafting in Spring/summer. Vividly recall torrential rains and arroyo flooding in 1972-1973 and in 1982- 1983, best ski season ever!

Like it predicts, can hamper crops, bring with it, more catastrophic events- drought, crop failures, water contamination.

Can't say we weren't warned. Always good to have supply of foods, 20 gallons of water, a radio, light, toilet paper!!! And coffee!!

R

Robrites

El Niño could be a boon or a blow to California vineyards

El Niño could be a boon or a blow to California vineyards

This is about California
And grapes
But much of it applies

It's not for everyone, the organic viticulturist admits. But it works for his family's Paso Robles vineyard, where dormant vines have laid bare acre after acre of precious topsoil on steep hillsides.

If all goes well, gentle rains will coax out a lush cover crop to protect from a deluge, and the odd menagerie will slowly nibble it to a nub by spring, when the vines revive.

"We've already gotten three small storms that have come through and dumped about half an inch of rain each," said Haas, partner and general manager of Tablas Creek Vineyards in Paso Robles. "The cover crop is sprouted. That's going to do a big piece to hold the soil in place."

Read the Rest
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-vineyards-nino-20151127-story.html#nt=outfit

R

Robrites

Rain Forever

Rain Forever

picture.php

http://www.ospo.noaa.gov/data/atmosphere/precip/btpw/images/EAST_PACIFIC_TPW_20151206_20Z.png

O

Oakhills

There should be an aquifer recharge system in place like Australia has outside Sydney.....

Dept. of fish and game wouldn't have say over gardens using well water anymore.....

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
A gloom group.
:laughing:

only gloom and doom there resides in the ignorance of the observer.

science teaches us to be informed and observe. it's when we can't separate observation from information we run into trouble.

i don't go to that site to satisfy some darker side, i go there to inform myself of the obstacles information provides (and ways around it).

if you watch television meteorologists, they are only right about 30% of the time. by utilizing the different recording/reporting modalities offered at that site, i can generally predict/forecast what weather i will experience with better accuracy than that, and not have to suffer consequences.

you would have to have frequented that site often and ignored the tools that inform, instead of focusing on 'cindy dies in the end', sunshine.

http://earth.nullschool.net/

the gnome

Veteran
if you watch television meteorologists, they are only right about 30% of the time. by utilizing the different recording/reporting modalities offered at that site, i can generally predict/forecast what weather i will experience with better accuracy than that, and not have to suffer consequences.

well if you can predict weather better than trained meteorologists ""with better accuracy""
why then are the weather pro's not utilizing such an asset publicaly available?