What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is the biggest El Niño on record, and a killer La Niña is coming

igrowone

Veteran
i'll just bring back some grow perspectives on the weather in my parts
we are getting an epic warm spell in upstate ny this september
damn i miss outdoor growing in this kind of weather, gonna be some kick butt bud this year
hoping the outdoor crop doesn't get capped by some rouge hurricane though

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
Doc, I think you are kind of a troll too but at least you have a functioning brain and do have a considerable point of view. I'll read your stuff but not Easy.

Ahhh Chuck, someone that you disagree with about 25% of the time (which means we probably agree about 75%) is not really a troll--unless I misunderstand the term troll: Someone that likes to start pissing contests by posting inflammatory/off-topic messages to include stalking/following people online and hijacking threads--just for the thrill of being a PIA.

As for a functioning brain, I just heeded the warning to stay away from the "brown acid"...LOL, that's all.

EasyGoing

This is the Outdoor Growing section and this thread is about El Nino/La Nina conditions that apply to peoples real world growing.

Where I live and many of the other international growers here on ICMAG live the Last El Nino prediction was accurate.

If you want to deny science and cry about climate change than please do it in the Tokers den and stop trolling here.

Doing it her disrupts people ability to discuss an important issue that outdoor growers face.
Sorry, did I totally blow your source out of the water? Now you are just going to cry about it....... Sad.

EasyGoing

Here is something that pertains to the thread.....

Biggest el nino's predicted, nothing happened.

el nino and el nina are both minor weather patterns that have minimal effects and occur every 2-7 years on average. The global warming people will continue to exacerbate the effects of any el nino, or storm, till the end of time.

Really hard to get facts, when everybody has a political stance. Really hard to find the truth. On top of that, people will post things that literally contradict themselves in the following paragraph............ Or post stories with no sources.......... Typical way a person argues when they have zero foundation to stand on, imo.

To add: notice nobody ever writes a story about how el nino or nina helps the weather. Water posted up something that claimed the reason for less hurricanes was due to el nino and nina........ That seems like a win......Right? However, if the global warming dogma is strong within an individual, they will never admit to a positive outcome from a weather pattern. Always end of the world negative. Need another example? 12 years, longest stretch in USA history for time without a major hurricane.......first one hits in 12 years and everybody says it's due to global warming........... Can't make this stuff up.

Last edited:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yeah, let's not get into another climate change debate here, since as with religion, politics and Piers Morgan everyone has an opinion that gets heated, and it does tend to end up in a slanging match with members calling each other silly names.

W

Water-

Warning!

do not click the link in easygoings post above.

it led me to a page warning me that the site was not private and my personal information was in danger of being stolen!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
If you want to have a debate on climate change, then start another thread on that subject, and/or post in one of the already established threads about it.

EasyGoing

weird, that link is doing the same to me today....... Wasn't like that yesterday.......BTW, you think using a google web site is any better? Weird warning, but every site steals your personal information. Relax.

Who are you talking to Gypsy? Clearly what I posted was about El nino, and el nina, that has effects on global temperatures. That surely is in bounds right? Must feel weird having to be the word police after all the real shit you been through. Seems silly, but you know, when someone cry's and taddles, you must oil the squeaky wheel.

Unfortunately, I have been going through some real world stuff also. Like life changing stuff, not for the better........ Sure puts things like this internet drama in perspective. Take care Gypsy.

Last edited:

EasyGoing

https://ggweather.com/enso/oni.htm

This website works, and wont steal your privacy. Only gives that message when using the link for some reason.

Google, "el nino end el nina graphs" and click the first non add link. Shows the past 70 years of el nino and nina. Pretty clear pattern, with very little surprises.

W

Water-

http://m.sfgate.com/news/article/La-Nina-Northern-California-winter-weather-outlook-12250469.php

The chances of a weak La Niña are increasing for the rainy season, and scientists are trying to figure out what that means, especially after a year when the meteorology profession was thrown for a loop by unexpected monsoon-like conditions.

La Niña, the inverse of better-known El Niño, is a cooling of equatorial waters in the eastern and central Pacific Ocean and can impact atmospheric conditions worldwide.

"The dominant climate indictor we're seeing right now is for a potential La Niña," says Mike Anderson, the state climatologist with the California Department of Water Resources.

There's now a 55-60 percent chance of the weather pattern developing, according to the latest report from the National Weather Service's Climate Prediction Center.

"This is what we call a 'watch,'" says Garcia. "We have to see multiple months of the equatorial Pacific sea-surface temperatures below the negative-0.5 degree threshold before we can call it La Niña."

In Northern California, the La Niña weather pattern is known for bringing below-average precipitation and above-average temperatures, but meteorologists say that it can deliver a number of scenarios, from dry to wet.

Space Toker

Veteran
oh still got a lot of catching up to do, tbh don't know if I ever will unless i have all eternity, but I e-mailed local meteorologists wanting to find out how to for instance find out the top 10 snowstorms in November for a given location. One guy basically blew me off suggesting any long range forecast is very inaccurate and not worth doing but he might do it, and that the kind of info I want might be available but not intuitive. The other guy was far more helpful, suggesting a site that might make sense once I can finally figure it out, and that for New England La Nina means cooler temps and near to slightly above snowfall and offered to help further if I have questions after poking around that site. So, I guess my valuable intuition is not so valuable upon reflection, basically a little worse winter but stay tuned until I figure it out! :D The other 10+ did not answer yet and not holding my breath... But if this record warm October is any indication, anything is possible! OH now I got to review everything here and 100 plus years of data before I can come to a conclusion. I think the first guy had a point now! ;)

R

Robrites

U.S. Drought Risk Rising as a Second La Niña Winter Kicks In

U.S. Drought Risk Rising as a Second La Niña Winter Kicks In

The odds of widespread U.S. drought are going up as we head into 2018, thanks in part to the presence of a second consecutive winter of La Niña conditions. New research suggests that the second year of a multi-year La Niña event might, on average, bring more widespread U.S. drought than the first.
La Niña, characterized by a cooling of sea surface temperatures (SSTs) in the central and eastern equatorial Pacific, is the rough counterpart to El Niño, which warms the same region. It’s long been known that La Niña favors drought across the southern United States. During La Niña, sinking air tends to predominate across the Sun Belt, blocking moisture-laden storm systems. This is the result of a large-scale atmospheric feature called a Rossby wave that propagates northward from La Niña’s center of action in the eastern tropical Pacific.
What hasn’t been examined much till now is how U.S. drought risk might evolve from one year of La Niña to the next. Many El Niño events unfold in a year or less—building in northern autumn, peaking in winter, and waning by spring. In contrast, La Niña conditions often recur for two northern winters in a row, and sometimes they come back for a third. That was the case in the three winters from 2009-10 to 2011-12, a period that culminated in major drought across the southern tier of states (especially Texas) in 2011, and over much of the U.S. in 2012.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/us-drought-risk-rising-second-la-nia-winter-kicks

therevverend

Veteran
Natural Climate Patterns Create Hot Spots of Rapid Sea Level Rise

For Americans who live along the east and Gulf of Mexico coasts, the end of the 2017 Atlantic hurricane season on Nov. 30 was a relief. This year forecasters recorded 17 named storms, 10 of which became hurricanes. Six were major hurricanes (Category 3 or stronger), and three made landfall: Harvey in Texas, Irma in the Caribbean and Florida, and Maria in the Caribbean and Puerto Rico. It was the most costly season ever, inflicting more than US$200 billion in damages.
Many scientists have found evidence that climate change is amplifying the impacts of hurricanes. For example, several studies just published this month conclude that human-induced climate change made rainfall during Hurricane Harvey more intense. But climate change is not the only factor making hurricanes more damaging.

ADVERTISEMENT
In a study we co-authored with our colleague Jon Martin, we showed that two converging natural climate processes created a “hot spot” from Cape Hatteras, North Carolina to Miami where sea levels rose six times faster than the global average between 2011 and 2015. We also showed that such hot spots have occurred at other points along the Eastern Seaboard over the past century. Now we see indications that one is developing in Texas and Louisiana, where it likely amplified flooding during Harvey—and could make future coastal storms more damaging.
SOLVING A SALINITY PUZZLE

Our work started when Jon Martin showed one of us (Arnoldo) salinity data from water trapped between sediments lining the floor of the Indian River Lagoon in east Central Florida. Here groundwater with zero salinity pools along the coast behind several barrier islands. Jon and his research team were analyzing changes in water chemistry and found that salinity had increased dramatically over the preceding decade. This suggested that saltwater was rapidly intruding into the lagoon.
This process is typically driven either by sea level rise or humans pumping fresh water from underground, or some combination of the two. Arnoldo consulted online data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and found that sea level rise had accelerated rapidly at nearby Trident Pier between 2011 and 2015. While global sea level has been rising at an average pace of about 1 foot per century, this site had recorded an increase of about 5 inches in a mere five years.
When Arnoldo shared this finding with Andrea, an international expert in past sea level rise, she was floored. These rates were ten times higher than the long-term rates of sea level rise along the Florida coastline. Further investigation showed that all tide gauges south of Cape Hatteras showed a similar uptick over the same period. This raised two questions: Had similar rates of rapid sea level rise previously been observed in the southeast United States? And what was causing this temporary acceleration?
CONVERGING CLIMATE PATTERNS

Previous work along the Atlantic coast had identified the area north of Cape Hatteras as vulnerable to accelerated rates of sea level rise, particularly in the context of climate change. Warming of the planet is expected to weaken the Gulf Stream, a powerful Atlantic Ocean current that pulls water away from the east coast and carries it northward. Slowing down the Gulf Stream leaves more water in place along the coastline, raising sea levels.

But this mechanism could not explain a jump of this magnitude in sea levels south of the Cape. Another previous study offered an additional clue. It proposed that the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO), a seesaw pattern in air pressure over different regions of the North Atlantic Ocean, could explain the shift in the position of short-term variations in sea level rise.
Shifts in the NAO alter the position of the jet stream, wind patterns and storm tracks, all of which affect the distribution of water in the North Atlantic basin. Ultimately, the cumulative effects of NAO on the ocean determine whether water will pile up to the north or south of Cape Hatteras. Thus, water piled up preferentially to the north of Cape Hatteras in the period 2009-2010, and to the south from 2011 to 2015.
This NAO-related mechanism explained where sea level accelerations might occur along the Atlantic coast, but did not seem to explain their timing. We filled in the blanks by examining tide gauge records over the last century along the entire U.S. Atlantic coast. This review showed that the timing of short-term sea level accelerations, lasting one to several years, was correlated with the accumulated signal of another recurring climate pattern: The El Niño Southern Oscillation, or ENSO, which is the result of an oscillation of atmospheric pressure in the Tropical Pacific Ocean basin.
Although ENSO occurs in the Pacific, its effects propagate across North America, altering air temperatures and wind regimes in the eastern United States. These changes in wind distributions can affect water transport in the North Atlantic Ocean, causing it to build up along the U.S. Eastern Seaboard at times. Other scientists have shown that this transport ultimately determines the timing of short-term accelerations in sea-level rise along the U.S. Atlantic coast.
In summary, we found that short-term accelerations in sea level rise have repeatedly occurred over the last century, sometimes occurring south of Cape Hatteras and sometimes focused north of the Cape. These hot spots can exceed rates of 4 inches in five years, and can occur anywhere along the U.S. Atlantic coast. They form when the accumulated signals of ENSO and the NAO converge, displacing seawater toward the coastline.

A WILD CARD FOR COASTAL FLOODING

Our research has serious implications for coastal planners. Global warming is raising sea levels along the entire Atlantic coast, and communities should be preparing for it. In addition, our findings show that sea level can rise and fall around this level by more than 4 inches over a five-year period, due to variability in ocean-atmosphere interactions in the Pacific and Atlantic ocean basins. This variability can occur over the course of five to 10 years.
These hot spots amplify the severity of coastal flooding that is already occurring from storms and king tides. Residents between Charleston, South Carolina and Jacksonville, Florida—a stretch where sea levels are at least 4 inches (10 centimeters) higher now then they were in 2010—have found this out the hard way.
Now we are looking at data from the Gulf of Mexico, where tide stations are also showing water levels which are typically higher than predicted. The increase along Florida’s Gulf coast is past its peak, but Texas and Louisiana are still seeing an acceleration in sea level rise. Accelerations in sea level rise are hard to predict, and it is unclear whether they will become more serious over time. But they make it even more urgent for coastal communities to take sea level rise seriously today.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...rns-create-hot-spots-of-rapid-sea-level-rise/

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yep, La Niña hard at work with little measurable precip. Going to be a long winter, a spring summer of trepidation.

Latest posts

Latest posts