What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

This is the biggest El Niño on record, and a killer La Niña is coming

W

Water-

IC Mag Site Policy - Terms of Use (TOU)

3. Multiple Personalities: We do not advocate the use of multiple member names for just one user. Should you do so, you may not use more than one personality in a single thread. Use of multiple member names in the same thread will result in banishment of that and all associated member names.

St. Phatty

I like this heat. It forces me to water all my plants aggressively, which they seem to like a lot.

My bigger Cannabis plants are in 32 gallon pots - which I think I'm about to cover with aluminum foil cause they're BLACK.

When I creep my hand down the side, past the wet hay mulch, to feel the temp of the soil - sometimes I get an unwelcome surprise. It is H.O.T. HOT.

In any case, time to cut in with the Water cooling. :woohoo:

Buckets of cold water every 2 hours. I manage to add some bat guano to the water for one of those afternoon feedings, about a heaping tablespoon (which I guess is about a fluid ounce) per gallon.

I had read about plants stretching due to heat, but I never had a chance to see how plants dealt with 110+ degree heat. I would say that during this 7 day stretch of 100+ weather, they will grow by at least a foot, and beef out sideways proportionately.

My plant pots are on wheels, so I could wheel them into the shade, and I strung up some 3/8 braided rope, so I could cut in with some shade-cloth if need be.

But so far so good (knock on wood)

EasyGoing

First major hurricane to hit the united states since 2005. All time record for longest time between major hurricanes. What was it that Al Gore stated? O yea, he said global warming would cause a major increase in both hurricanes and their severity.......... Another swing and a miss, Do as I say not as I do Al Gore........ Not only a miss, but the hurricane activity dropped to a historic low.

What a joke.

Really my question, how epicly wrong does Al Gore have to be before we shun him?

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
I think Al Gore's recent flop at the theaters is evidence that people voted against him...with their pocketbook. You would think that all the Climate Changers would flock to the theater to support any zealot that pontificates their Climate Change message....especially the "man" himself.

EasyGoing

It's hard to fathom the extend some of the global warming alarmist emotions on this subject. It's almost like weather has become religion for some. I remember about this time last year the headlines on how pot growers are draining Folsom lake, and it would take 1000 years to recover.......... Nope, 3 months. And PG&E uses the majority of that water for hydro electric.

I was actually banned over this........ Crazy people.

EasyGoing

https://www.theatlantic.com/science...ate-change-intensify-hurricane-harvey/538158/

Do these morons ever stop with the global warming nonsense? Longest streak in history without a major hurricane, and the global warming tards are claiming 30% of the rainfall from this storm in Texas is due to global warming...... You can't make this stuff up people, the hysteria is everywhere. I remember when storms were weather and weather over years was climate.......... Unless it fits the Global Warming narrative right?.......

This is a crazy weather system, just stalling out over Texas and dumping huge amounts of rain. Prayers are with the Texan's today.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
What?

Climate Changers have always held that "weather" is NOT "Climate Change". Hence they disagree with my notion that "Climate Change", "four seasons" and "weather" are all the same thing.

Guess I missed reading that memo, lol.

W

Water-

Currently the Climate Prediction Center is calling for a ENSO-neutral (neither a El Niño or La Niña event) through the remainder of 2017 and into 2018.

Some models predict the onset of El Niño (3-month average Niño-3.4 index at or greater than 0.5°C) during the Northern Hemisphere summer (Fig. 6). However, more than half of the models favor ENSO-neutral through the remainder of 2017. These predictions, along with the near-average atmospheric conditions over the Pacific, lead forecasters to favor ENSO-neutral into the winter (~50 to 55% chance). However, chances for El Niño remain elevated (~35-45%) relative to the long-term average. In summary, ENSO-neutral is favored (~50 to 55% chance) into the Northern Hemisphere winter 2017-18 (click CPC/IRI consensus forecast for the chance of each outcome for each 3-month period).

Still, some models are predicting the onset of a weak El Niño by the time winter puts its foot on our snowy doorstep. While those chances for an El Niño event remain slim NOAA says they’re far from calling it. “We still have a fair number of models forecasting at least a weak El Niño through the upcoming winter,”

EasyGoing

Yea, great weather report. El nino is coming, no el nina is coming. Well, lets just give it a 50 - 50 shot......... Typical weather report. Has a el nino or nina happened since this thread was even started?

W

Water-

2014–16 El Niño event

The 2014–16 El Niño was a warming of the eastern equatorial Pacific Ocean that resulted in unusually warm waters developing between the coast of South America and the International Date Line. These unusually warm waters influenced the world's weather in a number of ways, which in turn significantly affected various parts of the world. These included drought conditions in Venezuela, Australia and a number of Pacific islands while significant flooding was also recorded. During the event more tropical cyclones than normal occurred within the Pacific Ocean, while fewer than normal occurred in the Atlantic Ocean.

"The El Niño event affected millions of people around the world, including in Africa, Central America, Southeast Asia and the Pacific Islands.[48] These effects included below or above-average rainfall, flooding, increased food insecurity, higher malnutrition rates and devastated livelihoods.[48] The El Niño event also contributed to the Earth's warming trend, with 2014 and 2015 being two of the warmest years on record.[49][50][51] Over 60 million people face hunger, malnutrition in 2016 due to drought effects influenced by ENSO, with Africa worst hit, Indochina facing severe drop in food production, and Ethiopia counting 10 million people at risk."

oldchuck

Veteran
Thank you again, Water.

Easy Going (you dont' seem very easy going) please stop pushing your political opinions into this thread. It has been refreshingly informative on climate and weather. Don't ruin it.

EasyGoing

https://wxshift.com/news/blog/el-nino-predictions-what-went-wrong-in-2014

https://phys.org/news/2015-12-nasa-global-impacts-el-nino.html
Biggest impact should be rainfall in California in 2016.......... That didn't happen.........In fact, we were at historic lows. The exact opposite of a wet year..........

Seems even though OldChuck takes this as political, I just question sources like wiki to not be political. When NASA makes predictions on what should happen during an El Nino, calls it the biggest one on record, then none of the predictions come true, I question it. Sorry if you take that as political Chucky.

Just look at the claims from Water...... "These effects included below or above-average rainfall, flooding, increased food insecurity, higher malnutrition rates and devastated livelihoods.[48] The El Niño event also contributed to the Earth's warming trend, with 2014 and 2015 being two of the warmest years on record."

Well, lets disprove the last bit of nonsense...... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...rs-duped-manipulated-global-warming-data.html Which has already been discussed.

Then above and below average rainfall, also known as an overall average........ Flooding, always happens. Increased food insecurity......... Really? I never thought to ask my food how it feels about global warming, but it would answer increasingly it has food insecurity........ Higher malnutrition rates, Nope, best in history........ devastated livelihoods = bullshit again.........

But congrats to Water for copy and pasting without a note of who posted it, or a shred of evidence (wiki)..... O wait, I am getting political again......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts