What's new

I'm gonna do this. Come watch me.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Stress_

Glad to see you back! I'm curious to know, what's your solution when it comes to SM and PM?

I'd love to hear - you always seem to be rockin' the know-how, .. :respect:

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
Well my update will be short... All my plants are gone. Nothing left but a short piece of stem and the zip-ties and tags I had labeled each one with.
I suspect aminals because my tags were still there, and LEO would have taken my tags, and I just can't believe that anybody found em where they were.

I have mixed feelings about it though which kinda surprises me in a way.
I mean it really breaks my heart to not get to see each one of them finish. It was a lot of work just finding that spot, and getting everything up there without being spotted meant a lot of long days because of having to get out 2 and 1/2 hours before daylight. And then there is that feeling of regret and disappointment before most likely if I had made a couple more visits over the last two weeks, I probably could have directed animal traffic better.

But on the logical side of my brain: That OG Kush is a big plant! And it needs a long season. So it really isn't an ideal ID plant to add to my harem of mommas. It would add to my plant count and some people might do a run with it indoors but the plant has got to get huge to produce a descent yield and then takes a long time to finish. So logically it wasn't really a perfect candidate to add in the area I live.

Damn Stress, I was gettin worried about ya. Glad you are back and I'm sure everyone that was following your progress feels the same.:tiphat:

Thanks UI..:ying:
I'm sorry to disappoint everybody, not having some nice budshot to show ya.

Stress_

Glad to see you back! I'm curious to know, what's your solution when it comes to SM and PM?

I'd love to hear - you always seem to be rockin' the know-how, .. :respect:

Spider mites: Them fockers are like herpies!
My cloning room is like a hospital room and sterile so I never have to treat clones for the first couple weeks.
Once I set em into beer cups, I will spray em with 1/4 cup of 3% H2O2 in a quart of sterile water. It helps knocks down the chances of them getting PM and mites in the first place, and the plants love it. About the time they have roots coming out the bottom of the cups I spray em down good with a Avid/water. About this time they are ready to go to the patients and be transplanted within a day or 2. I always keep em over night in the dark after spraying and then rinse em 24 hours after.

The Avid reacts with the plant and a genetic reaction occurs that encourages the plant to excrete an enzyme or pheromone that repels mites other bugs. After that one spray, (Which is ALWAYS done way before flowering begins) I've never had problems with mites.

Powdery Mildew: Another pain in the ass...
Like I said above; I begin killing PM by preventing it to start with. Spraying with H2O2 is only one part of the remedy tho. Airflow and circulation, low humidity, proper lighting, and temperatures all play important factors in preventing PM also.

I kinda got stuck with eliminating the mites and PM for those folks cause they didn't even know what was wrong with em until I told em. But I sprayed the entire room down with H2O2 and water. I mix it stiffer if I am actually killing PM than I do for just a preventative measure; 1/4 cup per pint of sterile water.
I cover every plant thoroughly the first time. Then just keep a couple of bottle handy and anytime you're in there keep an eye for spots on lower leaves. I have 2 bottles that are adjusted differently, one is a fine mist and one is nearly a jet. I'll use the jet on spots and literally blast em clean, then mist the rest of the plant.

After the first good soaking, the PM is 90% eradicated and after that it's usually a winning battle of cleaning up spots.

I have heard from many growers that a product called "GreenCure" is the shit for PM tho and I've ordered some that I will try out the next time I run in to it.

But in absolute honesty the best cure for both PM and mites is prevention. Fortunately I have never had PM in my ID garden.

why do you get to have all the fun ,you're the stealth king

Heya lil skunk baby.:wave:
I've been seein some other threads where folks are havin more fun than me. Several of them even got to harvest theirs.

great update Stresstest, good to see your out and about, nice stadium too.. peace. Herb...
ps: dont feed the bears, lol

It's funny you said that cause I was kinda thinkin it was probably a bear that ate my plants.

oh wow my heart sank a lil' bit when i read that post man.. but hey its just a bump in the road of life right? stay loose man, peace Herb...

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Two things, .. One, I'm sorry to hear about your loss to the animal kingdom, .. Lots of time & energy invested, I'm sure. But think about it this way - you made at least ONE critter's day, with that kinda meal. :shucks:

You know, there are times I detest this website. Like these times:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Stress_test again.

You da man, man. I'd not heard of the foliar w/ the h2o2, .. When you say "Sterile" water, do you mean purified? Or do you boil the water to sterilize it? ..Something? :dunno:

It seems to me that there are two "levels" of fungicides and miticides. Those that folks generally agree are "good" and "safe," like neem... And then it seems there's another batch that makes some folks run for the hills ("Cancer! Birth defects! POISON ZOMG!"), like Floramite, Eagle 20, and Forbid, .. What are your thoughts on that? Maybe I'm just misinformed or misinterpreting, but there seems to be a fairly "clear line" and large contingent of folks around here who swear AGAINST things like Floramite, Eagle 20, etc, ..

(And, after all that, .. It seems to me that Avid would fit in ZOMGDEATH bucket. For instance, the only types of plants mentioned in all of the product reading I'm doing are ornamentals - nothing about food crops)

I'm not terribly partial either way (mostly because I'm not educated enough either way), though it seems to me that I'd prefer to smoke less-chemically-treated herb than more, if given a choice. In your opinion, are the "dangers" of those types of miticides/fungicides over-hyped?

..Sorry for the long-winded question there, Stress_ - But you seem like a guy I can count on for an educated answer, so I couldn't resist. :wave:

Stress_test

I'm always here when I'm not someplace else
Veteran
God I hate this question!

You are right, there really is no "in between" and really no "right" answer either.

I settled on Avid because of the way in which it works, more enhancing what the plant already does.
I only have to treat them the one time with Avid. And they are really young when I do it so it doesn't leave any long term, lasting chemicals.

I know that finished buds from all of my strains have been laboratory analyzed for contaminants thru various dispensaries and nothing has ever came back or been rejected. One dispensary that takes as many clones as I can get to em, tests every batch of buds that goes to them and I've never heard of any contaminants from my clone causing the yield to be rejected.

I'm kinda up in the air about it tho... I mean WTF? I've had mites before and a couple of times I would probably have used nuclear warfare to kill them bastards if I had it available.
But at the same time, everything I do eventually ends up either used by myself or going to a dispensary at one point or another, so I really have to keep everything clean and healthy. But if it does ever test positive for contaminants then they won't ever accept anything from my stock again, which is a huge incentive.

When I foliar spray I used distilled water because it doesn't have anything else in it. No trace minerals, no chlorine, or solids that would adhere to the plant leaves and cover up or camouflage something else. Also, I'm not a chemist and I have no idea how chlorine, fluoride, or other chemicals might react with what I'm using.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Stress_

That is EXACLY the answer I was looking for. Not because you said "this is right" or "that's wrong," but because you answered it with an honest assessment based on what you know.

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:

..but does that mean, in your opinion, that Floramite, Eagle 20, Forbid, etc, are "worse" than the Avid? That is, do you think they're more likely to leave behind traces of contaminants, etc? Or do you just feel like you've used Avid, it's been good, so why change? (Is Avid, for whatever reason, more healthful than other alternatives?)