What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

In the mix: Wollastonite, Greensand, Gypsum.

Treevly

Those three are going into a mix of 1/3 humus/topsoil, 1/3 ProMix Vegetable & Herb mix, 1/3 native clay loam. How much of the three additives would you mix into each 1 cubic foot hole?
Thank you.

Mattbho

Add a bag or perlite get you some 444 all purpose , ewc or compost and u have the start of some decent soil.
the 3 additives aren't going to provide balanced nuitrients, greensand takes years to breakdown I've read

Definitely will need more aeration than the perlite in the pro mix and .33 clay isn't going to work lots of time left to do some reading

Treevly

Thanks.

The humus/topsoil contains a fair bit of leaf compost [from commercial supplier] and the ProMix is mostly peat with some Perlite. If it looks to need thinning out once it's in the hole, I will thin it.

Great outdoors

And if this is going to be long term no till I would use course sand or fine gravel rather than perlite for aeration. Perlite breaks down over time.

Treevly

And if this is going to be long term no till I would use course sand or fine gravel rather than perlite for aeration. Perlite breaks down over time.

I agree with that but I have to backpack it in. Still, I'll consider it. I like sand in a mix, but it's heavy to carry.

Great outdoors

I agree with that but I have to backpack it in. Still, I'll consider it. I like sand in a mix, but it's heavy to carry.

Yup, that kind of takes sand out of the picture if you have to haul it in.
With the few years you will be using it at the max with a guerilla grow perlite will work just fine.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Perlite is glass that has been heated like popcorn. Is it a source of silica? I need to start incorporating pumice into my mix, and something so I don't have to keep adding cal-mag to the water.

So speaking if "ites", some of this showed up today. It's not very soluable in 6,8 pH water, so I sprinkled a TBSP on top.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00498.JPG Views:	2 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	17842952

Here is another "ite" that I have been sprinkling on top:

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC00499.JPG Views:	2 Size:	58.8 KB ID:	17842953 I need to get some fulvic also.

Great outdoors

Perlite is glass that has been heated like popcorn. Is it a source of silica? I need to start incorporating pumice into my mix, and something so I don't have to keep adding cal-mag to the water.

So speaking if "ites", some of this showed up today. It's not very soluable in 6,8 pH water, so I sprinkled a TBSP on top.

filedata/fetch?id=17842952&d=1619486135

Here is another "ite" that I have been sprinkling on top:

filedata/fetch?id=17842953&d=1619486182 I need to get some fulvic also.

Langbeinite is a good tool but use it sparingly. Can lock out calcium on you.
Best time for some is just as they turn to flower.

Treevly

Yup, that kind of takes sand out of the picture if you have to haul it in.
With the few years you will be using it at the max with a guerilla grow perlite will work just fine.

I like sand in a mix, very much, so I will use as much as I can work in there.