What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blueberry Buds and some Wild Thoughts

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
XyZ said:
this is the only characteristic you mentioned. i dont want to make a bad day...
but this specific trait is actually negative in Dj words

Dj'short says;
any male plant that grows too tall or too fast is usually eliminated. The reason for this is that most plants which dedicate so much energy to fiber production generally are best for making fiber.

You brought up a valid point XyZ. Although, it is not the only characterisitic I mentioned. I also said that it's an outstanding pollen chucker, and that it reeks.
Breeders kind of work in the blind when it comes to males, but two traits worth looking for are males with a high pollen production (and a fair amount of terpene production), and a pronounced smell.
DJ Short might be right on the growth aspect, if he conciders that the high he's looking for is to be found in the slow growing, shorter males. But if you would translate that aspect to females, would he also say that the slowest, shortest females are the ones with the best high?

The Blueberry is already quite slow and low-yielding IMO, some extra vigour can't hurt because there are too many phenos that amounts to very little or nothing. To be quite honest, I concider it a waste of time to grow a pack of Blueberrys. Two thirds of the plants simply aren't goint to produce enough to make the 3 months + work worth it. If I wanted to grow a pack of Blueberry for other reasons than a personal stash, I would probably go for a Blueberry cross, that kept some of the high and smell, but put some yield on her branches and made her less difficult.

I rarely take my males out of the box for photo sessions, because it rips up clouds of pollen that stick to hair and clothes, and that I bring into the flower room later, but here's a growth tip for ya.

Ushgambala said:
looks like some candy!

It is candy! :D

Last edited:
G

Candy for sure... damn look at all the frostiness... you sure thats not a clump of blueberry's with freezer burn? :D You can never go wrong with blueberry... you just can't.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
nice purple stem! yes u said that it's also a high pollen producer... but the pollen production is much obvious to any male plant, except the sterile individuals (no pollen at all) I believe you that this male is a high producer with vigor, however, if a male plant has a high pollen output is very relative don't you think? obviously, it's easy to say which plant is the tallest, but how much he produces is an other story. IMHO there must be at least a few males more to compare ...shaking each male on a lookin-glass or something like that and than judging which is the highest producer from all. this are only my wild thoughts :wink:

i would like to help about the smell/flavor ..from an other thread i remember that you said...

"I've heard that some phenos actually do produce a blueberry or blueberry muffin smell (such as the Dabney, if it is a Blueberry), only I didn't come across it in three packs of Blueberry"

The best flavor i had the joy to experience (really sweet/berry) was from a ful-matured greenhouse grown blueberry (some years ago) ...i never had such a delicious aroma from any indoor grown blue, even if grown organic with composted chicken shit. the trick may be in the lights...

~here are some more words from Dj;

Angle of light simply refers to the physical angle of light source the plant is dependent upon for growth. Perhaps the greatest difference between indoor and outdoor environments has to do with the angle of light received by the plant.

Many indoor growers try to get their budding plants as close to the light source as possible. Though this may increase bulk production of both bud and trichome, I find that this practice tends to destroy many of the finer aromatic qualities of the herb.

Buds too close to the light tend to express nothing beyond the lower lemon/lime aromas of the fruity spectrum. Sometimes the aroma is no better than a strong chemical/astringent odor and flavor, especially those under High Pressure Sodium light systems. The finer berry flavors tend to favor more distance from the bulb, and will manifest more strongly under High Ultraviolet Metal Halide light systems, especially during the latter stages of flowering.

peace, x

Last edited:

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Yes, he purples right from the start and never stops.

When I say pollen, I actually mean flowers, and particularly formation of flower clusters. All males aren't equal in that respect, just as females aren't equal in flower production or calyx to leaf ratio. And the more they produce, the more we like them, right?

I actually don't know how tall this male gets, because I've never flowered him. He has lived his whole life in the vegroom (still flowers like mad), and is regularly topped and pruned. But it is my opinion based on phenotype that he leans on the Sativa side (of other Blueberrys).

Yes, I said that. It wasn't true to a 100%, because I've had one plant that smelled of fresh blueberries, or blueberry discernible among the fruity/berry. But it was a runt in every sense, slow, scraggly, extremely nute sensitive, and from a 1.5 m tall plant I didn't get more bud than I could hold in the palm of my hand. Maybe she would have been interesting to a breeder, but to a grower she was useless.
I've never had anything that smelled of blueberry muffin though, not even close.

It doesn't mean that the fruity/berry phenos are any less worth. They smell and smoke awesome.

DJS is right about the light aspect. When a bud comes too close to the HID bulb it fries, and that is discernible in taste. There's a difference in taste between outdoor grown vs indoor HID grown, and if you take a plant grown in the tropics and grow it in for instance northern Europe, with a different soil composition, new aromatic influences arise and others disappear. Different types of nutrients will also affect taste. There are always external factors influencing taste and smell. Now, DJ grows in soil and organic exclusively, prefers the outdoor results to indoors, but we can't all grow our bud in the same way as DJ does, with the same standards on taste and smell, so I guess I can't expect the same results in taste and smell.

The plants are down by the way, I chopped them this weekend on day 59, so the next pics will be dry buds.

XyZ

Trichomnia
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey man

Hey man

lookin'great - well done!

just about this..
Rosy Cheeks said:
When I say pollen, I actually mean flowers, and particularly formation of flower clusters. All males aren't equal in that respect, just as females aren't equal in flower production or calyx to leaf ratio. And the more they produce, the more we like them, right?

Wrong :smile:

first of all, it's not right to say pollen if you actually mean flowers, since the flowers can be empty ...so the plant is sterile (ugly stuff lol i know) btw some females can be sterile as well. (not very rare in the blue strains)

the question you made is relative (depends on what you want) More flowers are important for the commercials ...but for us connoisseurs, the priority is in the quality of the finished product (taste & effect:) Actually the smaller yielding lines have a higher trichome density than most of the big yielding varieties. ie. haze, deep chunk, blues...

an other thing is about taste.. some flowers that smell good will not necessary taste so good.. but they have the potential to taste better! a lot is depending on the drying methods and curing techniques. the berry is best drying in darkness with low temps during a longer period (2 weeks with about 18°C and not too low humidity)

again, great shots! i trust you will dry/cure it well... report later if you enjoy
...also more pix would be great of course, very nice pheno you have there. :joint:
x

Last edited:

memetic

all this blueberry talk has re-ignited my interest in the strain... she's just climbed a few notches on the must grow list!

nice debate guys!

looking forward to the dry shots & report rosy! keep up the good work dude :yes:

hanfiking

what It's been 9 days and no harvest shots??? I've officially given up lurking to say this! We want more of these skill full pictures, especially around harvest time *bangs head on table*

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Sorry guys. I'm putting together a grow and smoke report, and the weed just have to cure a little to make it justice.
Upcoming pics will probably be of my ongoing Power Plant grow, or maybe the White Widows I just harvested. Maybe a new thread.

G

You've got some truely amazing pix here! Im very anxious to read your grow report. Can you tell us what kind of soil and nutes you used?

Rosy Cheeks said:
I've had a few good phenos in the earlier packs, but I kept on pushing to find a real blueberry smelling one. Not so. Well, to be honest, I've had one pheno smell vaguely blueberry, but that was a runt and a big waste of time.

I tried DP blueberry a few years ago and popped about 4 beans. Theres was one in particular that had the mutant/crinkly leaves from the start. This one grew very much like a bush after topping, much more so than the 3 others. One day I rubbed my fingers on the leaves and that my friend, was the smell of freshly baked blueberry muffins! :muahaha: I smelled it everyday, it was so amazing but one day it sprouted ballz and it was all over. I had no way to keep it and it was lost forever.

crenata

Stort GRATTIS Rosy!

Hur e smaken på BB? Smakar den blåbär?

Är DutchP ripoff på DJS, eller bara budget variant?

Än en gång grattis och lycka till fortsättningsvis.