What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Macro Attack

MyGreenToe

Hey guys. Thought I'd share some of the macros I've taken of my girls. Not growing at present, so looking at these pics helps keep me from going crazy about it.

These shots are a Blowfish cut I used to have.(a dead pump while out of town cost me a tray of clones, and my last blowfish was among them)
picture.php

picture.php

This shot is a blowfish leaf in flower. I had just done some water changing and this leaf had water in a cupped leaf. The trichomes above the leaf edge are under water being magnified by the curvature of the water. If you look close you can see individual plant cells on the leaf edge.
picture.php

Here is a purpling Blowfish leaf, in 3 successively closer shots. I love how you can see the color creeping up the stalks of the trichomes.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This Blowfish girl was looking lovely with cloudy trichs:
picture.php

More Macros to follow...

Keep it green
MGT

MyGreenToe

All the shots in this post are done using a technique called 'stacking'. One of the problems with macro photography is the extremely limited depth of field. When shooting this close, the in focus part of the image is basically as thin as a sheet of paper. To overcome this, each finished image is composed of 10-20 shots, each taken at a minutely different focal length. All the in focus parts are combined, which provides a much greater depth of field than can be achieved with a single shot at this magnification. These were all done when I was learning this technique, and aren't perfect. I still love em.

This is a leaf of apollo 11 I snipped off to shoot:
picture.php

Also Apollo 11. Check out the plant cells on the leaf surface:
picture.php

picture.php

This is a Durban cut I ran for a while:
picture.php

The following are all dry bud macros, mostly Blowfish:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Ok that's all for now. Maybe I'll dig some more out later.

Keep it green
MGT

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
Fantastic photos. Made me want to cry reading about losing that Blowfish, I bet you did.
That's one pretty lady.
I'd love to hear more on stacking and what kind of lens you use for these photo's.
Well done, thanx for sharing.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lokes stacking is done with software. You take allot of pics and the software will stack or combine ea photo making the photo more sharp and clear.

You can get the same with the right hardware and patients. Those are good . Macro Photography is time consuming and difficult to get the lighting right. out of 100 pics you may only get 5 that are perfect. Here is some shots of Heavy Duty Fruity.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

MyGreenToe

Nice shots there mate! You're right, macro photography is not for the impatient. There are alot more missed shots than successful ones, even with a brilliant setup. Worth the work if you have it in you though. I enjoy it!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
hammerhead what are you saying

i dont understand stacking, does picassa do this?

MyGreenToe

hammerhead what are you saying

i dont understand stacking, does picassa do this?

I'm not sure if Picasa can do Image Stacking. Photoshop does, albeit poorly for macro stacking.

The program I use is called Zerene Stacker. Their web page will help you better understand what it is we're doing here. Check it out:
http://zerenesystems.com/stacker/

Besides Macro Stacking, the other purposes for image stacking are:
1) Night sky/ star shots. In order to increase the magnitude of light in the night sky, a photographer can take multiple long exposures and later combine them at their pc to increase the brightness of objects in the night sky bu several magnitudes. This requires a moving setup to follow the movement of the sky as the earth rotates. Images created with this technique are absolutely incredible. The milky way can appear as bright as spilt milk across the night sky, like this:
Milkyway_L_Stack5_800_gaines.jpg

This image is from the Denver Astrological Society's page, and is not mine.
2)The other primary purpose of image stacking is to create HDR images, or High Dynamic Range shots. One of the challenges of landscape photography is finding the absolute best exposure settings to capture the largest range of data from dark to light as possible. Your average digital SLR camera can capture up to 7 or 8 stops of this data, which is actually quite alot. Achieving that full range of information can only be done with the right combination of aperture and shutter speed. Even then, it is not enough to truly represent the full range of tone of a contrasty and interesting landscape. To put things in perspective, consider Ansel Adams, the most famous landscape photographer. Through use of medium format film cameras, and his own system of exposure measurement, he often achieved a full 10 stops of range in his landscape images. This is largely why he is the most famous of landscape photographers. In order to achieve that level of range with modern digital SLR's, one must combine multiple exposures to achieve more stops of information than your camera can capture in one image. This usually involves 3 images, one slightly underexposed, one exposed correctly, and one slightly overexposed. The 3 images are crunched into a HDR program(photoshop can do this well enough for most folks), and out comes an image with more range than any of the individual images. This requires finesse in the combining phase to not come out looking overdone, but can be very rewarding in high contrast scenes. This page has a great picture to show you what I mean:
http://www.hdrsoft.com/

Hope that helps explain what image stacking is all about and why a photographer would want to do it.

MyGreenToe

Hey guys. Thanks for all the rep hits.

Here are a few of my non-herb macros.

This is a closeup of the word liberty on a penny(US currency):
picture.php

This is some super fine black polyester thread in a fine eyed needle:
picture.php

The tip of a ball point pen:
picture.php

Here is a tiny bug that was on my car one afternoon, can't remember what he's called:
picture.php

These two shots are of a Mufflehead, or non-biting midge, that swarms my part of the country for a short period every summer. They look a lot like mosquitoes to the naked eye, but fortunately they don't bite or sting. They swarm and are annoyingly everywhere when they are around. However they are a very important part of the freshwater ecosystem here, and a sign that lake erie is growing healthier.
picture.php

picture.php

Ok that's it for today!

Keep it green!
MGT

MyGreenToe

Hey MyGreen, any new macro shots. I just love em.

My op is shut down right now, so I can't take any new shots at the moment. :(

I do however have lots of old ones to post yet...

These are all Apollo 11. Those fat cheddary pistils seem to show up on all the A11 cuts I've seen, I love it! It's quite distinctive, even when dry.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks for looking!
Keep it Green!
MGT

MyGreenToe

Most of these were taken with an Olympus E-330, and E-520. Various lens and bellows setups to get different magnifications.

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
What a great way to get to know strains intimately. Seeing them so close, I bet its real easy to see many differences in the different types.
Thanx again for sharing, I see why you like the cheddar. LOL