What's new

Building a Larger Hash Press – Instructions

Butte

Veteran
I've been using some 1/4 inch steel plates heated in my oven to 175° F. I've tried up to 225° F for some really green stuff I had, but it seems to melt the cellopahne too much for my tastes (pun intendned). I don't really think the heating is necesary, though. It does seem to provide that nice, shiny surface that is harder to get cold pressed.

ilife

A lot of people will seal say 100g in a food-saver bag. Double or tripled and then put the bag in boiling water to get the resin nice and warm. Then you can press it more easy.
Leave it in the press over night.

iLiFE

GDK

High Class Grass
Veteran
Looks killer man...can u post pics of the slabs that were heat pressed?
What kinda celophane did u use Butte?

Stay Safe

Butte

Veteran
Still can't upload consistently, but my new machine got ordered today :woohoo:

The nor cal stamp was really easy. I went into photoshop and pushed some letters together since I can't really draw all that well. I then printed it on some card stock and cut it out with a razor. I just lay it on the unpressed pouch and then press the kiff with the cutout between the bag and the pressing plate. Next time I'll use cardboard, though, as the imprint is a little shallow.

I've got some PK, some TW, Urple, and Rom all to still tumble...anyone want to design some imprints for those? I could make a little contest out of it with a prize for folks in Cali :wink:

- Butte

btw - I'm sold on using volcano bags for pressing. They are cooking bags, so they can take the heat, they're stronger than turkey bags, and the cheese wrap has a few too many pores for my tastes. It tends to pull off the surface more than the volcano bags.

Last edited:

Butte

Veteran
Woo-Hoo! Got my new computer and love it. Here are some photos from what been happening around these parts that last few weeks...

The pile in the middle is about half of the kiff from the big leaf, the jars in back are different fine trim runs. The full jar on the right is ~4 ozs. The slabs on the right were different tries at using heat with my new press. The rectangular pieces in the bottom right are 1 oz slabs. Clockwise from there is a PK nug, and a tin with some bubble and a couple hand rolled balls.

I’ve never really been all that into the Nor Cal/ So Cal thing, so I switched to graphic imprints. Cut them out of card stock and placed them under the bags before pressing. I’d use cardboard next time.

This one is a knock-off of the Cherniak picture from the first post. Notice how the frame has bent from the pressure of the 6-ton jack. I think the original design used a 4-ton, but I'm pressing bigger slabs. Either reinforcing the channel steel or getting thicker steel is necessary. I bent the spring plate in a bone-headed, already smoked too much dry sift move :wallbash:

Enjoy - Butte

Last edited:
R

randude

Wow Thanks, I am one of those diy guys my own self. Now all I need to do it come up with the 6 ounces of primo kif

FtW

Here's what I put together for a heavy duty press, 1/2" steel frame (which popped my crappy welds off & bent at about 5000 psi, so I straightened it out & had 1/4" angle iron properly welded to the top & bottom, solid as a rock now) & a 50 ton hydraulic brake press cylinder with a hand pump. The mould is 9" x 5" & holds a lb nicely.

the press

in action (top is bowed up here before fixing)

the mould

the press, 3kg tumbler, & a few lb of kief

G

WOW, awesome setup. Glad your not hurt from the weak welds. Really love how you got the press setup. Once the hash is pressed. Looks like there are mini blocks.
Great job,
BG

Smurf

stoke this joint
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice job on the press butte, thanks for sharing!

FtW,.. popping welds on your press!

You gotta love the research and developement going on here! :beat-dead
Great job fellas.

V

vhGhost

Butte your Hash leaves me breathless every time..... i wish i had access to so much great product to run through the tublers .. looks like fun!!

Latest posts

Latest posts