What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rembetis's DIY Dry sifting contraption

JCF

Thanks!

Thanks!

What a pile! :groupwave:
Our ambient temp is 29°F and the garage is around 33°F. I checked the screen with a magnifier and it was clean after the run. Very easy to see the square openings to determine if clogged.
I now realize I should have put the baffles guiding the trichomes in the unit to emptying out in a hole in the bottom. When done I could just bang the hell out of the cabinet and let all the stuff stuck on the inside surfaces fall out. The stuff gets everywhere!
If the shake works out (running now) next batch will be using some prime buds. So for now the machine is holding up just fine.:yummy:

JCF

Going through a learning curve with the tumbler.
After running the shake I had I loaded it with some Indica buds. This stuff was some hybrid strain and the buds were quite dense. The first half ran for several hours and finally the buds were broken up. The second half I quickly ran through a food slicer first to break them up a bit and did not run as long. I had some contamination probably due to run time.
The screen did pick up resin most notably at corners, edges. I initially cleaned with an air hose and found a great way to wash the resin to clean the screen.
Remove the wheel. Fill the wheel with (clean) rags, towels. Set the wheel in a position where you can easily access the screen. Wet a clean rag with alcohol and wipe an area of the screen (say 6x6") to wipe off what resin you can. Re-apply alcohol to screen and immediately blow compressed air through screen into towels inside wheel. Repeat to complete entire screen. Remove towels, rags. (Screen was clean!)
I just loaded up some Afgan Kush which was grown this year and has been drying ever since harvest. (The genetics are probably as close to a true land race hash plant I'll ever get). Buds were light so they went in whole. It is 25°F here and I could see little shimmers falling through the wheel as soon as I turned it on.
I let everyone know how things turn out.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Here is some #1 powder from a 3 minute tumble, about a pound of raw material...

Attachments

• C15FEE2F-5A67-4023-BEB4-68B4F915F50D.jpg
    C15FEE2F-5A67-4023-BEB4-68B4F915F50D.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 57

Fakir710

Hey Rembetis, didn't found this post before commenting in the other one, I gotta say your machine is fucking amazing, my head did explode, i was looking for something similar to a pollinator and this could help, looks cheaper and bigger. I wanted to get something with a 180 or 220 mesh for getting some skuff i could work in the bubblebox later in a cold and dry day. :D

Regards and thanks for sharing your creation dude.

JCF

Jeeze Rembetis. You get all the attention with your cabinet style hash tumbler. (It does look better than mine, plus, you gotta bigger motor. Everybody likes bigger motors!) Or, you take better pictures. Oh well, there's always a second place after first!
I wanted to leave a follow-up from our activity during the cold weather.
The stuff I tumbled out is now frozen. I did get what I wanted tumbled before leaving on vaca and found some runs were more contaminated that others. I learned it is all about the bud, how dense it is and the ambient temp determines the run time dependent on the type of quality (vs. quantity) you desire. I am going to try and further sift the hash to improve quality once cold weather returns this winter. I don't think I will try anything when the temps are up, should go better cold. All for now!

Rembetis

More Power! Next upgrade I should add a Binford 3000 146 hp motor (Tim Allen voice-arg arg arg. ) Spin it so fast it separates resin at the molecular level arg arg arg.

I have been hand pressing my dry sift lately. A bit of warmth helps with that. Getting some nice chunks of various strains. Some of the runs could have benefitted from carding over the silk screens for a minute or two. Others were fine as is. Very strain dependent. Overall the machine cuts down the amount of work for dry sifting. I can see where some might want a smaller mesh but I am going to stick with what I have for now

Rembetis

some of the Lebanese dry sift from earlier photos pressed into a small loaf. Its very creamy, sticky and aromatic

Attachments

• photo2044907.jpg
    photo2044907.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 55