What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First Dry Sift for 2022, Nice and COLD

dirty-joe

I did a bubble run a week ago. Started with 250 grams, ran it three times, at least 10 minutes each, last run was 15 minutes.
Got some nice full melt, tasty hash, but is too sticky for easy handling. And certainly the yield was not great

Today was nice and cold was minus 19 C, when I started at about 11 AM (was down to -25 over night). The dry bud was out in the shed over night so was very frozen. It broke up quick, and released the gold just as quick. I did "about" 1 ounce batches at a time by hand, in a 12 inch sieve, and worked it for no more than a couple of minutes per batch. Wiping the mirror after each batch, in case I spilled some (weed in the hash). I don't need tell you how cold my fingers were with just a pair of latex gloves on. Painful cold, that's how cold. HAHA

Anyway, I knew after the first batch it was going to be a good run, and it was. I got a 12% return, my personal best, 38 grams of hash from 315 grams of bud, and I chalk it up to it being very cold.

Last year I separated it further, but had hash that was too sticky, so no, I won't be processing this any further.

The bubble from last week, the peanut butter colored stuff is 73-160 micron, it bubbles and fully melts, and is tasty for sure.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3167.JPG Views:	2 Size:	49.7 KB ID:	18050469

And this is the "Golden Goodness" dry sift from today, 38 grams. Which takes a lot less time, and hassle to make than bubble. I personally do not need full melt, or even like dealing with it.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3176.JPG Views:	2 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	18050470

and a more close up view.
Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3177.JPG Views:	2 Size:	75.7 KB ID:	18050471

Think I'll do another batch on Thursday with a high temp. of -9 C

Last edited:

mack 10

Veteran
Nice sift looks perfect for some fat joints.
Too clean can be a bit messy if not got proper smoking/handling tools.

dirty-joe

Nice sift looks perfect for some fat joints.
Too clean can be a bit messy if not got proper smoking/handling tools.

Thanks,
and yeah, I don't have the proper smoking/handling tools.
I like simple, piece of hash, small pipe, and a lighter. Break off a "mouse turd" (match head if you prefer) with your fingers, drop it in a pipe, and light it up. So easy, so convenient, that's one of the reasons why I like hash in the first place.

That said, I guess if one just puts that sticky stuff in the fridge for a few minutes you can handle it much easier....though that's not much good when your not indoors, not near electricity, say fishing, or gardening.

I should also get myself one of those rigs. The full melt clogs a regular type pipe in no time.

dirty-joe

Well today was as cold as predicted, I made some more dry sift. Had 195 grams in two bunches, the first 70 grams worked well, got 8+ grams out of it, but the other bag (125 grams) was still a tad too wet, and would not release the gold, so I'll have to wait for another day.

For the heck of it I took the previous 315 grams of spent, sifted weed, and did a 10 minute bubble run with it. I only used one screen 190 micron, and let everything else settle. Poured off most of the clear water, then rinsed the remaining into a coffee filter. Then on to printer paper to chop it up. Yes you loose a little on this first piece of paper, but really only a couple of tokes. I then change out the paper 3 times, as well as the newspaper under that, over a period of 3-4 hours. This way I can get to dry in a relatively short time.

I would have to say this was worth it, only had one screen to rinse, and I got 5 more grams of some nice "clean" looking bubble for my trouble.
Less than 8 hours now from the time it was in the water, and it is dry enough to store now.
It also brings the total yield from the 315 gram batch to 13.6%, 38 grams of dry sift, and 5 grams of bubble.
pic.
IMG_3181.JPG

Latest posts

Latest posts