What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stripping the goodies from flower

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Is there some way to knock the tric heads off flower before vac packing it? Tumble roller trim machine in a cage maybe? Soaking in a solvent that evaporates, with no residual smell?

I may finally have to buy some lights.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is there some way to knock the tric heads off flower before vac packing it? Tumble roller trim machine in a cage maybe? Soaking in a solvent that evaporates, with no residual smell?

We tumbled stems and fan leaves in clean sand and then extracted the sand.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I just got a pack, and that I think that is exactly what happened. Gonna have a talk with someone about it.

Homester's got a nose, and eyes to see (with his 10x glass). I will give him a chance to make it right, and it may not be his work. This shit's going straight into a big crock pot with 10 pounds of butter.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
That's legal weed here!

I had my little talk today, and you may have hit the bullseye. They won't admit it, but I believe there has been a change in drying / trim / cure process, and the quality has dropped a bunch. No frost, less nose, no burping the jars for the first couple months. I don't have a hydrometer, but I suspect over drying, maybe a drying tumble trimmer, or for all I know collecting the trics for hash doing it inside in a big freezer. One clue is how much volume weight takes, and it is dryer because it has more volume per weight - lost weight - that hurts them. Discount dispensary level bunk. Dammit. This shit only works with 100% trust.

I see my lazy ass having to grow.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
If you wanna be lazy, expect to give your hard earned money to someone else, and hope they treat you fairly...

Or,

Get off your ass, grow your own, know exactly what you're smoking,
and if you choose, you can have other people giving you their money..

I haven't paid for pot in more than 30 years...

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
We tumbled stems and fan leaves in clean sand and then extracted the sand.

oh wow, this is new

could you describe the process you use, grey wolf?
i imagine the sand acts as an abrasive and increases yield but how do you remove the sand?
/water?

brilliant stuff good sir!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very interesting. By, "extracted the sand" do you mean by sifting? Thanks for something new. :)

I used alcohol to extract the trichomes from the sand.

oh wow, this is new could you describe the process you use, grey wolf? i imagine the sand acts as an abrasive and increases yield but how do you remove the sand?/water? brilliant stuff good sir!

I tumbled the stems in clean sand, and then soaked the sand in alcohol, which I then filtered the sand out of and then evaporated away the alcohol.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...4-17-extracting-oil-from-fan-leaves-and-stems

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I just got a pack, and that I think that is exactly what happened. Gonna have a talk with someone about it.

Homester's got a nose, and eyes to see (with his 10x glass). I will give him a chance to make it right, and it may not be his work. This shit's going straight into a big crock pot with 10 pounds of butter.

It is not uncommon to find herb on the market that has been tumbled to remove a portion of the trichomes first. Take your microscope or loupe with you when buying plant material from unknown sources.

EsterEssence

Veteran
Some of the machine trimmers knock a lot of trichomes off, I have gotten material from a few different people full of trichomes from machine trimmed cannabis...

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Yup... thrashing the stuff. I believe that is the problem. The thing that I think happens is the busted heads will spill the goodies. Maybe the oils stick to the flower and are still there, but the released trics are headed to tric heaven one way or the other now, like fire ants from a freshly kicked hill. It will smell good for about a week or two as the terps scramble about, and in that time will soak through packs easier due to released terps - my new theory.

But why tear up good organic quality like that, especially if it will get packed? IMO, I bet just tossing dried untrimmed flowers in a pack would be just fine, cause those sugar leaves will just get glued in with everything else. Don't vac too hard, and keep the heads intact. I didn't mind curing / burping.

Oh well, I needed another New Year goal. The drop in quality makes a customer look at his options. So... I have a place for a 3' deep x 4' wide tent.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I used alcohol to extract the trichomes from the sand.

I tumbled the stems in clean sand, and then soaked the sand in alcohol, which I then filtered the sand out of and then evaporated away the alcohol.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php...4-17-extracting-oil-from-fan-leaves-and-stems

Interesting. I love the idea of using an abrasive. However, I am a "no solvent" kind of guy so this is outside my box. But, you have me thinking about abrasives.

Questions that come to mind:

Does the sand remain the same size from beginning to end of use? If grain size is consistent and not diminishing, sifting might work. Just like making dry ice hash with bubble bags only using sand/abrasive instead of dry ice. or ice water. Maybe a 170u bag. Anything that gets through is trics. ?? Is a grain of sand smaller than 170u. Sand is pretty soft. I'll bet it diminishes.

I wonder if salt would work. If I used salt as an abrasive and then just washed it away with water???? Salt Water Taffy Hash. LOL

Thanks again for the idea provoking.

One thing. On your site, you mentioned soaking roots in alcohol. I believe the story says roots are boiled in water to make topicals. You did mention that you found all water soluble and no oils in the roots. Just tossing.

Thanks again.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It no doubt depends on the sand, but we didn't observe any degradation in our short run. You could also use glass beads. I don't see why salt wouldn't work.

Very little oil in the roots and no cannabinoids..

xerb

I remember a harvest party I went to about a dozen years back, where 90 percent of the samples
being shown were missing most their trichomes, at least the ones that should have been visible
from the outside of the bud.

Many of the biggest commercial growers from our county were there to show off their best buds.
It was a pathetic showing of trichomes. Since then there hasn't been a year as bad as that one,
We had a couple of weeks of really nasty winds just before harvest.

Gale force winds can raise hell with your buds, and this is what had happened.
All the buds looked like someone had made kief, but it was the winds that had savaged their buds!

XERB

PS It must have been more than a dozen years ago - as I remember wearing an Amsterdam T-Shirt
It was black with a white Pepe Le Pew on the front, it said "Skunkworks" above, and "Amsterdam" below.
The reaction from the crowd made me a celebrity that night - everybody stopping to look at my shirt.

pepe.jpg

I had saved it to wear to that function, knowing it would shrink when I washed it.
I gave it away after that, but I'll bet I could have sold it for $100 that night!

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember a harvest party I went to about a dozen years back, where 90 percent of the samples
being shown were missing most their trichomes, at least the ones that should have been visible
from the outside of the bud.

Many of the biggest commercial growers from our county were there to show off their best buds.
It was a pathetic showing of trichomes. Since then there hasn't been a year as bad as that one,
We had a couple of weeks of really nasty winds just before harvest.

Gale force winds can raise hell with your buds, and this is what had happened.
All the buds looked like someone had made kief, but it was the winds that had savaged their buds!

XERB

PS It must have been more than a dozen years ago - as I remember wearing an Amsterdam T-Shirt
It was black with a white Pepe Le Pew on the front, it said "Skunkworks" above, and "Amsterdam" below.
The reaction from the crowd made me a celebrity that night - everybody stopping to look at my shirt.

filedata/fetch?id=17810154&d=1616279864
I had saved it to wear to that function, knowing it would shrink when I washed it.
I gave it away after that, but I'll bet I could have sold it for $100 that night!

We used harvest boxes when dry trimming buds, which collect the good stuff that falls off. A picture of a small one as the last item at the attached link, but we made some that were six feet long and 48" wide, which folded in the middle like a 72" X 24" suitcase with carrying handle for travel. Four friendly trimmers could operate over it at a time.

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/...sieving-frames

It is perverse that the Pepe le Pew image is now being associated with sexism here the US. Yet another thing to be offended by from the elevated horal my ground.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing

Set 3 Silk Screens in a triangle (with end pieces). Add bbq rotisserie and tumble whole bud over a bin for 5-10 minutes. You'll get the trics off the outside of the bud leaving the internal stuff alone. The smoke will still keep its potency, and you get some hash.
screen.jpg

https://www.deserres.ca/en/10x14in-screen-printing-frame-fabric
Walmart sells them too.

That said, if you have exceptional looking buds, don't do it. Up here, you can get a 700-1k premium for great looking bud.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I started growing cause I suspect that is what my farmer and his partner were doing. They deny it, of course.