What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Govee thermometer and humidity sensor test

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Ya’ll!
Hee, hee, hee, ah got a complimentary Govee thermometer/hygrometer to test, that proved to be about a $40 solution to remotely monitoring temperature and humidity at multiple locations using a smart phone.

I originally agreed to test it, but when I saw that it used smart phone apps and the other ancillaries that their system offered, I cajoled my retired electrical engineer associate into testing it at their facility, moving the one sensor between the different grow and processing rooms.

I’ve attached Carla’s report, but in summary she was favorably impressed and after the startup and calibration sequence, it performed reliably and accurately, plus the free app to her smart phone allowed her to monitor the room from over the hills and far away.

It has alarms, so would be ideal used as a backup to tell you that your primary system failed. It not only sent an alarm out to her phone, but also to her Fitbit.

The sensor has a holder with a double sticky back and runs off three AAA drycells.

As you will see from Carla’s write up, the smart phone app not only provides you with the current readings, but charts history.

45 day review of Govee thermos-hydrometer Model H5052 and first Gen Google smart phone
By Carla Kay, PharmEx 10/28/18

The Govee H5052 is a thermal and hydrometer monitoring and alarm system that could stand alone as pure monitoring for budget-minded users or provide oversight to a larger control system, particularly if tied in other Govee devices?

Set up was quick and easy.
1. Remove battery protector. They included batteries!
2. Download the app.
3. Name your device, adjust parameters to your needs and begin gathering data.

It could not be much easier.

The program opens to devise selection including

Light
1. Alexa Lights for home (H6160, H6163)
2. Home lights (H6127, H6161, H6107, H7310, H7311, H7313)
3. TV (H6105, H6101, H6102), car (H6113) and bed (H6129) lights
4. Bluetooth bulbs (H6001, H7001, H7085)
5. LED plant grow light (H7004)
6. Rock LEDs for a garden (H6165, H6166)

Sensors thermos hydrometer
1. Bluetooth (H5052)
2. Wi-Fi (H5051)

Power plug
1. Smart plug (H7014) Did I turn off my e-nail?

Security
1. Wi-Fi Smart Gateway (H5040)

The setup process continues using menu select. It is simple and direct.

Selecting the H5052

Once my device is selected, I can view the temperature (4F-140F) and the relative humidity for that time and date. Swiping or selecting the graph in the upper right corner displays the graphs for same.

See Exhibit I below:

The charts are displayed above/below each other for easy trend comparison. One can sample data points by the hour, day, week, Month or year as well as F or C units,

See Exhibit II below:

to meet your needs. From this window, one can scroll left to view history or down to export data.

See Exhibit III below:

Best of all, you can set the system to alarm you for the temp or humidity event you select just by clicking the gear in the upper right-hand corner of your screen. You can select either or both to alarm you. Mine moves through the phone to my Fitbit!

If you wish to export data, it is easy to send to your user email account.

See Exhibit IV below:

Select send to account mail then choose your data interval from 1, 15 or 30 min, 1 or 12 hours. Select your start export period by spinning the column until you have the desired start time select done and repeat the process in the ending time area. Now click the paper airplane in the upper right corner of your screen to send.

It does take a few hours for the device to self-adjust, but once complete, it is quite accurate. I am a baby boomer and my vision is not the best. It would be great, however, to have larger print on those little instruction pamphlets, though that is a common problem. My only other desire was to pre-program data to be exported. I did not see a method to accomplish that task, though I’m not certain it is all that necessary since you have your phone to do view that data.

I have been carrying the Govee with me to see different environmental responses and the ability to self-adjust. Calibrate as well as deleting data is on the alarm window. It is quite adaptive and I must say rugged to survive in a purse. Although this Govee was intended for a grow site (it did spend time there as well as a curing room), its permanent home is in the vacuum oven room. Frankly, it would be nice to have one in the extraction room, post-processing, and intake rooms as well. I may be getting a bit carried away though….

I am curious as to the functionality of the remaining devise types and would be glad to test those as well.

I extend a hearty thank you to Leo Zhong at Govee for the opportunity to test this equipment.

Attachments

• IMG_20181028_120251.jpg
    IMG_20181028_120251.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20181028_120336.jpg
    IMG_20181028_120336.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Exhibit I.png
    Exhibit I.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 53
  • Exhibit II.png
    Exhibit II.png
    44.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Exhibit III.png
    Exhibit III.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Exhibit IV.png
    Exhibit IV.png
    30.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

starke

Thanks for the review. Been looking into a more elegant solution than my Wally World solution.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Noting a deal on these if anyone has been coveting one:

Govee is picked up by Amazon to run Deal of the Day next Wednesday, Sep 18th!

The following two Govee thermometers will be 30% OFF directly without coupon code that day.
Govee WiFi thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FBCTQ3L

Previous Price: $75.99

Amazon Price: $49.99
Deal of the Day: $34.30 [Sept 18th Only]

Govee mini Bluetooth thermometer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37
Previous Price: $29.99

Amazon Price: $26.99
Deal of the Day: $18.89 [Sept 18th Only]

Aspenou812

Veteran
I have used the govee Bluetooth temp and humidity sensors through a full harvest and they worked great after getting them all set up...

Aspenou812

Veteran
Using the dark amber jar's from ball I couldn't see through them and read my Caliber 3 meters... I calibrated them as close as they would go and marked the difference on the sides with a sharpie... +or - so they were right on... The jars sit in my comerical cooler at 38 degrees... Its nice checking on them without disturbing the Buds...

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
Thank you GW. These sensors are fantastic. Software is very nice.

EDIT: Late again to the party.:dance013:. 2019? Covid-19:moon:

Latest posts

Latest posts