What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Which syringe filter for e-juice PES PTFE Nylon SFCA

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
I am making e-juice using rosin and PG/PEG and I want to filter it to get the little hairs and gremlins that can sneak into rosin out of it.

I have a syringe filter that came with a kit I bought from Vapeur Extract but it doesn't identify what type of filter it is.

I went on eBay to buy some replacements and I noticed that they have several types of filter elements. PES PTFE Nylon and SFCA

Does anyone know which one would be proper for use with e-juice?

Here's a quick pdf I found of some of the different types of filters and their usage.

Page 3, Table 1.

https://www.corning.com/media/worldwide/cls/documents/CLS-FIL-004%20REV4%20DL.pdf

Thanks

*RC = regenerated cellulose; SFCA = surfactant-free cellulose acetate; PES = polyethersulfone, PTFE = polytetrafluorethylene

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I have never filtered rosin but I think it would depend on how you emulsify. I always assumed that PTFE was the best (at solvent resistance), as I use these in .22um to filter with ethanol right before purge, and if the viscosity is too thick, then it becomes nearly impossible to push through the filter.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Thanks for the reply.

According to the video at VapeurExtract, they mix the rosin and PG/PEG together, heat it to blend and then run that mix through the filter. So, it's PG/PEG and rosin going through the filter.

However, I also plan to use these filters with an Everclear and rosin mix also.

PTFE is what's recommended for solvents with HPLC.

Also, I was looking at the .45um vs the .22um that you said you used. Maybe I should go with the .22um.

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Also, I was looking at the .45um vs the .22um that you said you used. Maybe I should go with the .22um.

It really depends on what you want to do and the volume of material to process. .22um might be overkill and actually clog with your mixture. If you just want a basic filter, I think that SkyH reported that 1.0um filtered mixture would dab clean with zero residue. Lower is better for purity, but not practical for every application.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
Cool. Thanks Water.

BTW, I read plenty of your posts and they are always helpful and informative. Thanks from all of us who enjoy and learn from your posts. ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts