What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MGT's Dabin' n Squishin' Thread

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Okay, this thread will document my journey with Rosin. Except for the last month or two, though I might dig the pics and try to start with that. Like most of you, I started with the straighter, then got the quick grip. Well, now I have a 20 ton press.

I am building new plates right now, waiting for the heater elements and a couple other goodies, though a lot of things came in today. I will take some more pics tomorrow, and kind of outline my journey so far, and where I hope it will take me.

I have squished buds, trim, kief, bubble hash. I have bought the empty tea bags, I have the lil bags from bubbleman, I have not tried the metal mesh bags yet...

The things I like the best about the larger style press, as many of you know, is being able to press at a lower temp and get a whole lot more flavor going on. And dang, they sure press out a lot flatter then the quick grip and seemed to produce a bit more.

Anyways, I will share the start of the journey with you tomorrow, but I will leave you with a pic of todays goodies...

Have a terpy night...

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
That look super nice!! How much material was squished in that second pic? Then you say you have tried all the different material containers, which do you prefer, or prefer to have the material naked on the parchment?

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
That look super nice!! How much material was squished in that second pic? Then you say you have tried all the different material containers, which do you prefer, or prefer to have the material naked on the parchment?

1 gram came out of the squish, it was 1.5 of 73u bubble.

I have not tried the ss/metal mesh bags yet. If I am squishing bubble or keif, I use the bubbleman rosin bags. If I am squishing buds, I don't put them in anything. I do notice that with the larger press, there is less contaminants for me to get out.

small update...
started on some wiring

pbard1

1 gram came out of the squish, it was 1.5 of 73u bubble.

I have not tried the ss/metal mesh bags yet. If I am squishing bubble or keif, I use the bubbleman rosin bags. If I am squishing buds, I don't put them in anything. I do notice that with the larger press, there is less contaminants for me to get out.

small update...
started on some wiring
View Image

Looking at your choice of SSR in image. Make sure that you are not dropping voltage across the SSR's output. Do not go cheap. Many SSRs made in Taiwan/China use poor components. i.e. Counterfeit. My experience with many of these devices has not been positive. Several volts dropped across SSR will result in higher device temps and possible failure of driven device. In the case of the heater element, this is not as big a deal as if one were driving a motor, for example.
Crydom makes the best SSRs. You can pick up used 25Amp Crydom SSRS for less than $25.00. Spend the $$$s.
\
Just my .02

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Yeah I hear ya, will see how it goes, just a test at this point. But I will say that I wired it up(minus the enclosure) and plugging the nail into it, def nice to not use torch lol. That and I forgot it was c instead of f for the temp haha, took me a sec to remember that one haha.

Should have enclose soon, then I ill get the other one all wired up and both in the case :) Can't wait for them heater elements and tc's to show up...

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
...lil late, but its update time...

...Still waiting on the heater elements and the tc's to show up, 5 days to 2 weeks yet says usps...coming from hong kong...

...more updates/news/pics tomorrow...have a terpy night folks...

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
...well, did the dry ice thing last night, got 44 grams of kief out of it. 8 grams of really nice light blonde from the 90 bag, 25.5 grams from the 220 bag, and another 13 out of the 220 bag from another shake. So, did the 90u for a 2 min shake, the 220 for 3 min shake, then the 220 again for 2 min shake. It was from my trim and small popcorns that are simply not worth my time to trim lol.

The middle grade one, yielded 40% return when I squished 4.20 grams. figure 20% maybe from the worse grade, but hoping for about 80% from the blonde lol. We shall see, I will share the pics when done squishing. I found out my heater elements and tc should arrive in the next day or two, so I only be squishing what I be puffing till then, will squish the rest when the plates are wired up.

Getting very excited to use the plates all wired up lol, put the quick grip into retirement haha.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
...Forgot to post this one, plates got finished up the other day, should have it hooked up and running by Friday...

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Okay, just finishing up some wiring, should be squishing by noon tomorrow(to tired to finish it up tonight...) but as a test, I did temp wire up one plate, only took about 2 min give or take to heat up to temp(I set it to 180f). I do need to play with the p.i.d. numbers a bit, as the over/under shoots bother me a bit(about 10 degrees either way) but I didn't mess with any of that yet so that is tomorrows plan. Then I can finally squish all this damn kief...

...btw, I am using a crappy harbor freight press at the moment, though my machine shop guy and I are talking about making a new press. Not trying to promote anything on here, right now its just a mock up for myself, but figured I would share my journey. I have quite a few pics I have to upload yet, but dang I can't wait to get squishin'...

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Nice thread!
Curious to know how far into the plates does one press the heaters into the plates? So they are 1/2 way in?
Thanks

Thanks, I see some ppl have shorter heater elements and shorter tc's than I went with, but for these size plates I went with heater elements that are about 3 inchs in length, so I have them centered in the plates, leaving an inch on either end. That being said, the plates are 5 inches long, so the holes were 4 inches long, with the elements pushed all the way in plus an inch if you follow me.

...okay so I'm really tired and did alot of rosin dabs, so this pic/edit came out very badly but was in a hurry so hope it makes sense if my explanation didn't lol...

...oh man, that pic came out bad. Tell ya what, over the next couple days I'll draw everything up post it up, I do have pics of most of the steps and what not that I have taken. Will share the first squish it does tomorrow afternoon.

...Here is a better pic to show ya, idk why I just didn't do this first, would of been quicker and better than photoshop haha...I blame the rosin...

Last edited:

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Takes about 2 or 3 min to get to 180f

Though, thats before dabs and your helper help make sure you do your wires wrong so the Thermocouple wires kinda ended up melting so I have to figure out what im gonna do now. Keeps popping the fuses. Have 6.3a fuses for each plug now, though they are all blown except for one so for the rest of the night it will just be heating the nail on my rig haha. Can't believe I was yet again forced to use my hmk. Really wanted to be pressing tonight.

btw, before i wired it up, I test ran a plate last night and read temp and heated up just fine. Just today is one of them days, should have it fixed and working tomorrow, unless I need new Thermocouples now haha. Update with whats up with it later/tomorrow.

Latest posts

Latest posts