What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MGT's Dabin' n Squishin' Thread

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
The things I like the best about the larger style press, as many of you know, is being able to press at a lower temp and get a whole lot more flavor going on. And dang, they sure press out a lot flatter then the quick grip and seemed to produce a bit more.

Actually low temperature long time presses was first dialed in on hair irons, and is still a great method for them. A larger press is actually probably harder to keep cool, as it has a lot more mass.

As for quick grips, I broke mine. I still use hair irons, but use a vice grip clamp style for nice pressure. I just got 27% on the last measured press with it and a hair iron.

KONY

Veteran
Do you collect the goodness immediately after pressing, or what is your tek to keep the shatter stuff from flying around? Maybe its cause I am only pressing small amounts by hand, but if I dont collect mine within seconds, Its way harder to collect, even heating the dabber and scrapping doesnt work as well as I would think it would. This is from pressing Keif....

I should mention I definitely overheated my iron the last few presses, and this could be some cause of the super shattering. Next time I plan on unplugging it for 60 or 90 seconds, and pressing just barely warm.

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
heya Tom, how goes the progress?

Going very well well actually, and I even got a new camera so I can take some better pics now. Had my phone, computer, and something else all crap out on me recently but all back up and running again.

Have about an oz or so of kief to press, and I got some larger rosin bags from Bubbleman so looking forward to squishing and sharing the results. This kief was from some older stuff, so I'm sure it will come out a lil darker, but should still be nice.

And to the other question, sometimes I collect right away, sometimes I get a stack done then collect, depends how much I'm making and if I need some to dab or not lol. I do have a warming tray I made though, for that really shattery stuff, just to bring it down a notch to collect, but not enough to burn terps. More on that at another time though.

Amsterdab16

@Med-Grower Tom:

Great read, glad to see another rosin head on here.

I currently live in Amsterdam, and with all the high-quality import hash around, that's the primary target of my hair-straightener tongs - as even with more (Amsterdam) "standard-quality" Moroccan hashes, I can squeeze out 50%+ yield with little to no effort.

Lately we've been getting these new age "block hashes" in the coffeeshops which are from what we the customers are told, are Dutch/US genetics mass grown in the Rif Mountains, and processed into hash there in Morocco before exportation.

Of course there's all sorts of divergent theories and speculation on this too - "they're actually bubble-hash produced in Morocco" "they're actually bubble-hash produced here", "the plants are grown in Morocco and the kief is pressed in the EU" etc, etc...

I digress, with these new age block hashes I typically get a 65% yield give or take, and on a good day with the right one manage just shy of 75%.

In your experience pressing bubble hashes, what does the quality of the grade going in have for you on the post-press product consistency-wise - i.e. is it more "shattery" when coming from a higher grade, somewhat Jelly-esque (e.g. very volatile and scoops like melted butter at slighly above room temp whilst shattering up the second it drops a degree below ambient) or is it perhaps a completely viscous sticky, oil, tar?

Greeting & much respect from Amsterdam,

Amsterdab16 :D

Amsterdab16

This morning's press was 1 gram of "Girl Scout Cookies Block hash" for 15 euros a gram. Doubtfully produced from a legit cut of GSC, especially outdoors in the Rif Mountains, but the yield, smell and consistency are nice enough.

The gram gave a yield of .7 (I still have a shitty tenth of a gram scale, boo I know), so 70% give or take. Not shabby at all.

Pressed into an amber-golden, translucent oil. Like the second type described above, a sort of jellyish, easy to "scoop" with the dabber consistency, shatters up if it gets the slightest bit below room temp, more sticky and difficult to handle (some batches from other hashes are entirely stable at certain temps and can be readily handled, others are completely unstable and should never be handled). Floral, bubble-hashy smell that translates well into taste, potent stoney buzz, that creeps up steadily and abruptly on the exhale.

There was a "Gorilla Glue Block Hash" that showed up on their menu screen as well, but he said it was new and would make its debut later in the day, so I'll have to go back and check that one out as well, was listed for 12 per gram. Clickity-clack go my hair-straightener tongs :)

MedGrowerTom

Organic Dank Land
Veteran
Might as well get this thread kicking again, I may not be squishing right now, but I sure am dabbin'!

I need to get a new shop press and get my plates hooked back up, maybe redo some wiring and some other odds and ends, I think I want to put my plates in a cage too. More to come on all that in the upcoming weeks/months.

For dabbing, I hate to says but have not been using the enail in months and months, ever since I got the puffco peak. Did all the upgrades to that, from the ryan fitt recycyler and the riptide carb cap, to the fadespace sic insert, the upgraded vibrating motor, rebuilt coils, and couple other things. Also if that focus carta v, I think i use them both equally.