What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
I only use a micron screen for bubble and dry sift.

So I have a 1/2 z of bubble and a shit load of keif. How would you recommend I press it? This is an open question to anyone that presses keif or hash as I have only pressed flower. I have the 4 ton dab press so if anyone has direct experience using that all the better. Thanks for any and all help :friends:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I press my kief into 100 gram patties, wrap them in a coffee filter, put that in a metal screen mesh, then wrap it with ptfe film with only one end open to allow directional flow, put that in an envelope of parchment and put it in the press. Then I tip my press over and allow the rosin to drip onto a piece of parchment on a frozen tile. No scrapping the rosin off the parchment or any debris in the rosin. It sounds like a lot of work but once you get everything cut and ready to wrap you can press a lot of kief quickly…

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
I press my kief into 100 gram patties, wrap them in a coffee filter, put that in a metal screen mesh, then wrap it with ptfe film with only one end open to allow directional flow, put that in an envelope of parchment and put it in the press. Then I tip my press over and allow the rosin to drip onto a piece of parchment on a frozen tile. No scrapping the rosin off the parchment or any debris in the rosin. It sounds like a lot of work but once you get everything cut and ready to wrap you can press a lot of kief quickly…

Is the ptfe film a must? What size screen mesh Are you using? I definitely plan to tip the press :tiphat:

Hey ReikoX, why the double bag?

thanks for the responses :good:

EsterEssence

Veteran
The ptfe film makes the directional flow by leaving only one end open, sorry I can’t remember the size mesh but it’s a fine screen like pipe screen but pliable I will try to figure it out today…

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
:tiphat:
DSC03100.JPG

Cactus Squatter

So I’m planning on switching to Rosin pressing for a lot of my intake needs. I’ve been reading as much as I can on this thread, but at over 4,000 responses and lots of updating tech and different methods being used it makes it difficult for some one brand new to know exactly what to do. It’s really easy to get sidetracked. Sorry to be a total noob on this and ask what has probably been asked multiple times, but again, over 4K posts on this thread to search through.

I plan on pressing about half to 2/3 of what I grow and plan on getting a larger press, but I’m not doing anything commercial level. I don’t have the time to do a DIY setup. Is there a particular manufacturer with good reliable plates and heating units? A buy once/cry once/quality manufacturer? I’ve looked at the Dabpress setups but have no idea if they’re quality built for the money.

Has there been a definitive conclusion as to how fresh or cured bud needs to be to press for best effect? In my reading it seems people just kind of do their own thing.

Thanks for helping out a rosin noob.
*yes, I used the search feature, it leads me to 4,000+ posts to sift through, many of which are just banter and questions without answers.

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
I have a Rosinbomb Rocket, their little one. It works great.

Lower temp pressing yields more flavorful essence, but it is a total mess to work with. Pressing at 180-190f for a total of 7 minutes, 1 at contact to warm and 6 at full pressure, gives a Rosin with a Tootsie Roll consistency.

Click image for larger version  Name:	0228221346.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.5 KB ID:	18085925

It can be handled and will take on the shape of the container as it relaxes.

Cactus Squatter

I have a Rosinbomb Rocket, their little one. It works great.

Lower temp pressing yields more flavorful essence, but it is a total mess to work with. Pressing at 180-190f for a total of 7 minutes, 1 at contact to warm and 6 at full pressure, gives a Rosin with a Tootsie Roll consistency.

It can be handled and will take on the shape of the container as it relaxes.

How fresh or cured is the bud you are pressing?

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Hey Cactus Squatter , buds for this pressing were pretty old. Sitting for 6 months at least. First loose Kiefed manually in a 220 all-mesh Bubble Bag to garner the Gold. The color is much lighter with fresher starter material. Cool thing is the leftover pucks make insane Coconut Oil for edibles.

0228221146.jpg

Just made Gummies today from this.

Cactus Squatter

Hey Cactus Squatter , buds for this pressing were pretty old. Sitting for 6 months at least. First loose Kiefed manually in a 220 all-mesh Bubble Bag to garner the Gold. The color is much lighter with fresher starter material. Cool thing is the leftover pucks make insane Coconut Oil for edibles.

Just made Gummies today from this.

Gummies and other edibles are a huge part of why I’m switching to Rosin. How are you decarbing your rosin for the gummies?

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
Gummies and other edibles are a huge part of why I’m switching to Rosin. How are you decarbing your rosin for the gummies?

Because of the time and heat for pressing, everything is pretty much decarbed. The spent bud pucks come out looking slightly roasted.
My old recipe for Butter and Oil doesn't call for the decarb step and still makes incredibly strong stuff. I feel like it's optional.

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
It varies based on quality of the resin. This was some pretty melty hash, and returned a bit over 70% rosin from the hash. The rest is extracted with grain alcohol and used in edibles.