What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Treating Cancer with Concentrates Thread

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Should I winterize it? IE freeze for 24 hrs then strain out again before evap? When I do that it turns into jolly ranchers.

Don't want it to harden up in the syringe.

QWET shouldn't require winterizing.

It won't harden into jolly ranchers if it is fully decarboxylated.

I suggest doing so in a 250F hot oil bath, so that you can watch the CO2 bubble production to monitor progress.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It was really for a guy who hasnt drank in long time...didnt want the booze near him

that was all

Rick Simpson used it but yeah, not really ideal

Gray wolf says v & p contains benzene or converts to benzene?

even if benzene evaporates @ 180F but the residuals may be carcinogenic I dont know

Rick is not super tech on some stuff but I think he eventually started using N-hexane

must differ to gray wolf on most this.....He has the experience

You can remove the ethanol before using the RSO, so shouldn't be an issue with Friends of Bill.

Unless you are testing your concentrate for residual Benzene, I wouldn't count on its complete removal after using Naphtha for extraction. If you are intent on not using alcohol, I suggest using Pentane or Heptane instead of Naphtha.

herbgreen

Veteran
yeah, thats correct for sure

A poster here had not drink many years I can see not wanting a bottle of moonshine sitting there as a trigger....

I suggested have someone else do it or have someone else there maybe take the left over alcohol with them?

Anyhow,

maybe people dont realize its not like a tincture where you can taste the grain alcohol

The alcohol gets evaporated off and its just a solvent

Everclear probably the easy one get but there are some higher end food grade alcohol

Might want to figure out how to reclaim it

These cannabis oils really work and can be added to other oils for topical applications

What a great Medicine!

LostTribe

Premium user
QWET shouldn't require winterizing.

It won't harden into jolly ranchers if it is fully decarboxylated.

I suggest doing so in a 250F hot oil bath, so that you can watch the CO2 bubble production to monitor progress.

Whats best for long term storage? Are the syringes an ok option? Then I can make HAO or HSO if need be later on.

Rio

Hi everyone,

This discussion is a godsent. My deepest respect goes to all who contribute to it.

Could someone please explain how natural decarb is done? At what temperature and how long? I apologize if I missed this infornation but I get tired too soon when reading.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats best for long term storage? Are the syringes an ok option? Then I can make HAO or HSO if need be later on.

In the refrigerator in a sealed opaque container. Oxygen, moisture, and UV are the killers. Wrap the syringes in tinfoil and seal in a ziploc baggie.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thank you for the link. The graph doesn't show time require below 80c temperature. 100 days for natural decarb was mentioned in this thread, is this at room temperature ie 20c? Cheers

You're right, and while I've seen passive decarboxylation studies, I didn't save them, or even believe them based on personal experience extracting aged material.

I've extracted year old harvests, that still produced extensive CO2 bubbles when the concentrate was decarboxylated at 250F.

LostTribe

Premium user
You're right, and while I've seen passive decarboxylation studies, I didn't save them, or even believe them based on personal experience extracting aged material.

I've extracted year old harvests, that still produced extensive CO2 bubbles when the concentrate was decarboxylated at 250F.

I agree. Recall that I have had most of the older material (over a year cure for example) I have run with ethanol still turn to shatter. Heating seems a requirement.

Hope you are well GW!

LT

LostTribe

Premium user

Hey GW!

So if you had a bit of older pretty dry bio mass what would you do to turn it into savable long term medicine to treat cancer?

I want to also add a how to to the first post so if you think newer bio mass would be better to do another way please advise.

My thought was to just do an quick wash ethanol extraction. I previously did QWET using frozen Everclear. Would you recommend room temp vs frozen?

You stated no winterization was necessary so I am guessing room temp and then just filtering quickly as usual. If you have a link please post. I am fuzzy on decarboxylating afterwords as well.

Best,
LT

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW!

So if you had a bit of older pretty dry bio mass what would you do to turn it into savable long term medicine to treat cancer?

I want to also add a how to to the first post so if you think newer bio mass would be better to do another way please advise.

My thought was to just do an quick wash ethanol extraction. I previously did QWET using frozen Everclear. Would you recommend room temp vs frozen?

You stated no winterization was necessary so I am guessing room temp and then just filtering quickly as usual. If you have a link please post. I am fuzzy on decarboxylating afterwords as well.

Best,
LT

I would use frozen QWET to minimize chlorophyll pickup.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=200660&highlight=QWET

Here is how we typically decarboxylate.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150429133115/https://skunkpharmresearch.com/decarboxylation/

LostTribe

Premium user

Hey Brother,

Checked links, appears you go straight from filter to hot oil bath and you were reclaiming ie distilling off the ethanol and re collecting, Nice!

So you advise on first running biomass in frozen QWET. Will freezing the ethanol prior to quick wash suffice or do I need to freeze the ethanol biomass mix overnight prior to filtering? Can I evaporate off the ethanol with a fan and then scrape as normal prior to the hot oil bath at 250 degrees F? For the hot oil bath do you use a hot plate and do you use a double boiler or straight on the heating surface?

Additionally, out of the blue a few days ago one of longtime best friends called to say his father had just had surgery to remove cancerous cells from his voice box and they were planning to proceed with a very aggressive several weeks of chemo 5 days a week.

I have not yet asked if he would consider the oil. Last time another good friends parent was diagnosed he immediately shot it down as insane even though he was at one time a seasoned stoner.

Wondering how I might cautiously bring it up..... They are outside of Denver and I hear Dr. Robert Melamede was onboard with Phoenix Tears Denver for a more local, reasonable and professional approach.

Again, Blessings and thank you so very much for your continued contribution to this cause.

Best Always,
LT

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Brother,

Checked links, appears you go straight from filter to hot oil bath and you were reclaiming ie distilling off the ethanol and re collecting, Nice!

So you advise on first running biomass in frozen QWET. Will freezing the ethanol prior to quick wash suffice or do I need to freeze the ethanol biomass mix overnight prior to filtering? Can I evaporate off the ethanol with a fan and then scrape as normal prior to the hot oil bath at 250 degrees F? For the hot oil bath do you use a hot plate and do you use a double boiler or straight on the heating surface?

Additionally, out of the blue a few days ago one of longtime best friends called to say his father had just had surgery to remove cancerous cells from his voice box and they were planning to proceed with a very aggressive several weeks of chemo 5 days a week.

I have not yet asked if he would consider the oil. Last time another good friends parent was diagnosed he immediately shot it down as insane even though he was at one time a seasoned stoner.

Wondering how I might cautiously bring it up..... They are outside of Denver and I hear Dr. Robert Melamede was onboard with Phoenix Tears Denver for a more local, reasonable and professional approach.

Again, Blessings and thank you so very much for your continued contribution to this cause.

Best Always,
LT

I typically freeze both the material and the ethanol overnight at -18C/0F. We have taken the ethanol to -50C using dry ice.

You can evaporate the alcohol away with a fan, but it will pick up more water from the atmosphere.

You can just pour it in a shallow dish, like a casserole dish, and cover it with cheese cloth to keep the pet hairs and dust out, before setting it out to evaporate naturally. You can also set those dishes on heating pads to speed things up.

You can also boil it off to atmosphere in the same hot oil pot that you decarboxylate in.

I actually use a fondue pot of hot oil, and set the container of concentrate on a jar lid so that it doesn't contact the bottom of the pot. Heating elements produce local hot spots, so a double boiler arrangement is required.

I don't know your friend well enough to know the best approach, but one would be to ask him if he has seen the latest cancer research using cannabis concentrates. Perhaps at that point provide him with a summary and links or reading material.

In my experience, most brothers and sisters with cancer are open to new ideas if it saves their lives. Some had already expended all other options and were grasping at straws.

Dr Melamede is a personable and helpful guy, as well as being a wealth of knowledge about latest research on the effects of phyto-cannabinoids on our endo-cannabinoid systems.

You're welcome. Good luck with your friend!

LostTribe

Premium user

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
so for decarb are you simple heating the oil you made with QWET following evaporation of the ethanol?

Fondue pot or something like a slow cooker?

Best,
LT
Yes, I set a container of concentrate in a fondue pot of 250F oil for decarboxylation.

Attachments

• white shatter 010.jpg
    white shatter 010.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 35

LostTribe

Premium user
Yes, I set a container of concentrate in a fondue pot of 250F oil for decarboxylation.

so you put the concentrate in container then into the fondue pot with like vegetable oil in the fondue pot? Still on top of a jar top?