What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vac-U-Clamp DIY Vacuum Chambers

foaf

Veteran
So they use Vac-U-Clamp bags to do vacuum laminating for wood and fiberglass applications. This is the small thick vinyl bag.

So I applied high density 1/2 weather strip on one of the 8x8 square Pyrex brand casserole dishes. This isn't for any kind of seal, its just a cushion. On the round pie dish I was playing with a bead of silicone, but its ugly and I like the weatherstripping better.

The bag can hold a hard vacuum, and I tapped around on the glass with the wood of a hammer handle to see if it was just waiting to implode, and it tolerates that. Ive done 3 runs with the square dish on a heating pad and it really is easy.

I like this better for sure, your casserole dish is your thin film vacuum chamber, easy as pie.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good idea!

Hee, hee, hee, snicker, snark, snort...............

MattHend

i really really like this idea... the only thing that worries me is the 135f heat resistance... foaf, have you had any issues with it getting too warm? I figure to get the internal oil temp to 115f, it is going to have to get close to that limit.

foaf

Veteran
yes, I saw that rating. Vinyl tubing is often rated up to 165 degrees. I think that the rating that they put includes sharp edges perhaps damaging the vinyl when its hot when used to laminate funny shapes. On the flat surface of the dishes, I don't think its a problem. They make a polyurethane bag that they say is rated at 145. I don't think that the 135 rating will pose any practical problem even if it is exceeded.

Coolbananas

Hey I've noticed t:tiphat:here is a slight loss of vacuum pumps oil after a number of hours use .
Does anyone here know what the viscosity rating of this incredibly lite, and fine transparent oil is ?
:tiphat:

Old Gold

That's fantastic. I bet a few hundred bucks would get you a bag big enough to cover the floor space of an entire bedroom.

And given the heat rating, I'd just stray well away from the temperature. I'd say no (or minimal) heat, and a madly thin film. Transfer things to a proper chamber if you need serious heating.

Last edited: