What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Vacuum purged wax

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey homies, in this thread I'm gonna break down how I am currently making vaccum purged wax. Wax doesn't have the best reputation in oil circles as most people rush the process, whip the shit out of it and use too much heat, trapping moisture or butane and killing off the terpenes/flavor. I believe my method avoids that and produces a really easy to handle and delicious wax.

It's pretty simple - in a nutshell, we are going to vacuum purge and use a little extra heat on the last round (or 2) in order to make the oil transition to a wax/clay consistency as it is under vacuum, rather than forcing it with excess heat or whipping. This methodology has been consistently producing really awesome wax and I estimate that the terpene loss is minimal as I've put samples of shatter and wax from the same run on the pepsi challenge tip and honestly can't tell the difference, even with the e-nail which really really really lets terpenes in the oil come out to play with the taste buds.

Want to say before I really break this all down, this is not an optimal setup. I'd love to have a vacuum oven or better vac chamber, but it all works and for now and is producing a product I feel comfortable sharing with friends & fam.

OK down to business. I won't cover extracting, ya'll know how to do that or can find it elsewhere. Will add one thing though - do not grind or cut up your material, only cut big nugs down at the stem. I find cuts to the leaf or plant matter allow the butane to extract chlorophyll and waxes that it would otherwise bypass. For example, I've regularly made nug-run quality bho with trim that was only cut at the stem. Grinding or chopping doesn't seem to increase the yield much either, just wrecks the quality.

So here's some freshly blasted errl.

picture.php

I give it 5-10 min in the water bath on the griddle, which I leave set as follows throughout this entire process (though the oil never gets up to this temperature, just heats the water bath or trays I use for vac purging):

picture.php

The water is nearly cool when I bring it inside, so this 10 min is just getting the water back up to tap-water hot and giving the last bit of moisture & butane a chance to get out before I scrape up for the vac purge.

Here's a couple of runs I'll be vacwax'n for this demonstration.

picture.php

picture.php

Here they are after warming up for 3 minutes on the griddle, just till they get viscous, then a quick stir to distribute the wax in a thin layer.

picture.php

Your timing here may vary, sorry I don't have an ir thermometer to figure out just how warm I am getting it, but it's gentle as I don't want to heat purge here, just get it warm enough for the vac purge to be effective.

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's vac purge round 1, nice cookie bake effect as the remaining moisture and tane that goes quick under vac rolls out. I leave the errls under vacuum for 30 min or so per round.

picture.php

Back on the griddle for 3 min.

picture.php

Vac purge round 2, still a little cookie effect going on.

picture.php

Back on the griddle for 3 min.

picture.php

picture.php

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Vac purge round 3 - not much going on now.

picture.php

Here's our oil after 3 vac purge rounds. If I wanted shatter, I could stop here or maybe do 1 more round at 3 minutes. Really looking for a lack of reaction under vacuum before we move on to waxing as a rule of thumb.

picture.php

picture.php

This time we are going to leave it on the griddle for 4-5 minutes. Depends how much errl is on the tray, don't want it to get too hot, but definitely a bit warmer than the previous rounds. Here's vac round 4, with no reaction beyond a slight texture change.

picture.php

In this case, only about half the oil waxed up, from the outside in. As I recall, I played it safe on the timing, as I would rather do an extra round than let the material get overheated.

picture.php

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the wax after one last vac purge round after 4-5 on the griddle.

picture.php

picture.php

Some strains will remain somewhat goopy even after this process, but don't keep pushing it - I have found these strains, like Stardawg/Guava for example, almost always clay up after they fully cool down or at most, overnight.

So yeah that's how I'm doin' it in 2013, hope that helps those of you who were requesting a tutorial :D

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Hell yeah, good lookin out! When you pump what Hg you take it to? seems like my pump is only going to bout 27.

imnotcrazy

There is ALWAYS meaning to my madness ®
Veteran
Nice write-up brotha :joint:

"You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Mr. Bongjangles again"

Figures......... haha

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
My first attempt....

GSC wax
picture.php

CVK wax
picture.php

They both could have went longer but this was just a test. purged all damn night at 27 Hg, on a heating pad with a clothe over it. I was using a hot plate when I first started out and I heated'm up a lil too much(especially the chem valley, which was lighter then the gs at first). Then then I switched to this electric blanket like warmer thing with a clothe over it and it was perfect, with temps swingin from 110 to 130. Fell asleep and woke up to some wax!

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what pump and vac container do u use?

For now I use the Harbor Freight vac pump and foodsaver jars.

The pump is OK but a little underpowered, and the foodsaver jars are just not meant to be taken to deep vac. They are cracking on the bottom, but still hold a vacuum just fine so I haven't been in a big rush to replace them, but would never recommend them to my peers.

http://www.amazon.com/Bel-Art-Scienceware-420430000-Polycarbonate-Diameter/dp/B002VBW9VO

People seem to dig those as a mid-range cost solution, though reviews all agree the valve sucks and needs to be replaced when you buy it. Gonna throw it out there as an idea of what one should consider using though.

GET MO said:
How long can you continuously run the pump for?

I just run the pump until it hits the 27-28'' on the gauge, as once a vacuum is achieved to the max level the pump is capable of, it's just fighting itself to remove air that it can never grab. So yeah like 5 seconds with the small jar and 10-15 with the big one then I stop the pump.

My pump's manual says it can be run for at least 10 minutes to remove moisture and gasses from ac lines or whatever people really use these things for though, hehe.

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very cool thread!

Where do you get those little plates that you have the oil in?

Take a pic when the cracked foodsaver jars implode :tongue:

s4b

Nice thread...thanks Would u mind if i added some tips and pics in here all bho related? totally cool if u would prefer me not to...

Mr. Bongjangles

Head Brewer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nice thread...thanks Would u mind if i added some tips and pics in here all bho related? totally cool if u would prefer me not to...

Thanks for the kind words :D

Go for it brotha, more information in here sounds great to me!

whatthe215

Veteran
great looking product!

i've just started getting into this whole oil thing and still haven't figured it out... i've gotten 2 out of 8 batches to wax up.. the rest have stayed as shatter.

picture.php

i just can't figure out what temp things need to be at. i've heard 130-135 to get it to wax with 8+ hours of vac.

i need to grab me some of those dipping trays..

awesome thread so far. i just got a big chamber like WHATTHE has, but bigger. is yours able to hold over 29gs for hours? my buddy got that same one you have and it does not hold 29gs vacuum, if you seal the chamber and come back 10 minutes later it drops 1-2hgs.... they said you need to jb weld the rivets for the pot handles. they said to do it on the inside of the chamber, which is weird to me, but maybe right. just wondering how yours holds a 29.9g vacuum for hours.