What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Who makes the best portable vaporizer and why?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
In a recent article about another way to vape, the question came up as to who makes the vaporizer with the most utility at the margin. Please consider this thread wide open to express your choices and why you chose them.

There is no right or wrong answer, so hope we can keep the exchanges to discussions of costs and the utility offered by the different units, as opposed to the obtuseness of anyone who chooses anything else.

Recognize that some folks here in the US swear by GM, while others swear by Chrysler or Ford, as well as the traveler prays for good weather on the same day that the farmer prays for rain.

I've also come to embrace difference in tastes, as I didn't have to fight every one of you other male child's off for the charms of my beloved wifmate Grayfox.

Of course there are also dealers posting, which is fair.

Every one realizing that, caveat emptor and may the fun begin,

Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'll start out by saying that I picked up a S&B Mighty on sale after trying a friend’s. I liked the vapor quality and the convenience of the replaceable cartridge feature, as well as 1.5 hours of battery life.

As noted in my thread regarding yet another way to vape, I discuss mixed media loads in the cannisters for potency and flavor, but made special note that the cannisters also nest perfectly in my 20mm Series 1, VI Domeless Nail and produces a smooth vape.

That feature doesn’t require the Mighty itself, as the cannisters are available separately in lots of 40.

I have my Mighty set at 350F and I like the way it buzzes to tell me it is to temperature, and also before the automatic timed shutdown, so that I can push the start again before it shuts down if I wish more tokes.

It came with a holder for six loaded cannisters, which is handy, and a charger that will power it even if the battery is dead.

It doesn’t get hot and has smooth rounded edges so as to slide easily in and out of my pocket.

In use the tokes start smooth and tasty, progressing to harsh and less tasty, at which time I change cannisters.

On the down side, as noted by Switcher in another thread, the system is not designed for owner battery replacement and it is pricy. Marginal utility will depend on how long the batteries last.

PS: Let me add that I will be happy to test any system any of ya'll want to send me to ride like I stole it and report back.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
For vaping on the go i like the dynavap m, the 2020 version is one of my daily drivers. Best bang for buck and it hits very good. My sublimator hits better but imo the dynavap can hold up. Got mine for~57 euro including shipping.

It has a learning curve but not hard to figure it out how to heat it up for your preference. Best to heat with a torch but u can use a normal lighter when u are ok with some soot. Even embers or a candle or any other heatsource should work. For that reason i call it the doomsday vaporizer.

one downside of the m is that it can get hot when heating it up for more than 2 times in a row. So not perfect for big sessions but good for 1-2 people.

handling is easy just fill it like a dug out pipe and heat with a torch lighter until u hear the click.
I use the low temp cap and like it better than the original one. Better tasting and since i use it i never have overheated and burned the material. I also got the dynacoil for oil and use that with the older version of the dynavap and it hits good. Not the best taste but that might be because of the quality of the oil.

Overall a nice sustainable vape. the limiting factor on the go is the heatsource. With an efficient torch lighter no problem to use all night long.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210902_232313~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.4 KB ID:	17933542

DiscoJack

The DaVinci IQ is a nice flower Vape that holds .5g+ and you get almost 30 decent hits till it’s cashed. Good battery life, quality construction

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never tested one, but Switcher56 highly recommended the Nano V-5 in another thread, though he hasn't added it here yet. Here is the detail:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Interesting, but catching$$. I don't like non-replaceable battery devices

Does the same thing for a fraction of the cost good buddy, powered by an 18650 :)

https://torontovaporizer.ca/flowermate-v5-nano.html

The Mighty reminds me of the old DaVinci.

That was my original post found here https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijuan...ng-e-pen-carts

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...attery-failure

IMHO as this thread is highly subjective, as we all swear by our own devices, just like "lights" etc... I will not sit here and try and convince anyone which device is best. The best device is the one you own that meets your needs, nothing more, nothing less.

That being said, in the OP's defense, he had a requirement to make his device a multi tasker, which was also supported.

What needs to be said here... especially since the world will be depending on Li Ion batteries in the future... the technology is not there yet and, disposal (of spent cells) also needs to be considered here.

For those who don't care about reading the article from Battery U, I'll some it up.

As a battery depletes the available "stored" energy, IOW the degradation of the Lithium, whether it be Ion, Mg (manganese) or LiPo, those spent atoms collect at the bottom of the cell and it is called "rock content". As "rock content" increases (over time) and BTW, right from the get go... It creates internal resistance in the cell. For those who watch the UFC, think of how Khabib Nurmagomedov wore down his opponents by making them carry his weight. (metaphor)

Energy must be free to flow, or in case of the aforementioned metaphor, not having to carry the weight of your opponent depleting "your" gas tank. Khabib was a brilliant fighter.

As "rock content" increases over time, the depletion rate can be considered exponential. The more resistance felt, the more ions die (creating more rock/resistance), and so on and so forth. Think of a dog that is chasing its tail. It is a vicious circle. Batteries are good for 300-500 charges. Li Ion hit the streets and became popular because it didn't have "a memory" like Nichads had. On the plus side, Li Ion provided more power than the Nichads. 3.7v per cell vice 1.5.

The devices protect the cell (electronic devices) with the low voltage cut off, triggered at 3.2V. The LV threshold for Li Ion is 3V. When using mechanical devices (not recommended to novice vapers) the "seasoned vaper" knows when he is approaching the LV cut off. Most battery chargers will not charge a cell that is below the Low Voltage threshold <3V. They are out there but the avg individual doesn't know about them. Remember my saying.... Sellers sell stuff and consumers by stuff. We are living in a world of repair by replacement.

To further exacerbate the problem, all Lithium is not created equal, just think of diamonds, some is/are better than others. I don't know if it is the raw material or the process of converting it, that causes a laaaaaaaaaaaarge spread in quality.

To sum it up, only we have the capacity to change things, we speak with our wallets. I don't give a rats ass what anybody does. That being said a LiPo battery in this case believed to be 3000mah (I don't know because the site conveniently doesn't mention the size of its cell) is probably worth at most 2-3$ to manufacture. To replace the device, it will cost you another $350USD. An 18650 IMR (Lithium Manganese) battery (which is used in high voltages/discharge devices), can be had for about $15 CAD a pop.

I could own an I-phone, I choose not to. My phone is for making phone calls not doing what folks are doing with their I-phones. Once upon a time we were able to get replaceable batteries for our phones, not any more. Do you see where I am going with this. I was raised a penny saved is a penny earned. My definition of frugal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	v5-nano-front.jpg Views:	91 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	17932532

Click image for larger version  Name:	v5-nano-front.jpg Views:	91 Size:	19.1 KB ID:	17932532

Switcher signing off :tiphat:

Edit: Physical signs to the user, it takes longer to charge your battery (remember resistance (which BTW creates more rocks)) and you run time degrades as well, available power for vaping is diminished, to not available after a spell!

Amynamous

I’ve been using the Arizer Solo2 for the past 2 1/2 years.

https://torontovaporizer.ca/arizer-solo-2-vaporizer.html

It has a ceramic heating element, stainless steel heating chamber and a glass stem. So there’s no plastic in the vapor pathway.
It has a wide range of heating temps and a long battery life.
This is the first device I’ve used where I can actually taste the terpenes in my flowers.

Negatives: Ive broken the glass stem a few times, the glass stem can be a pain to clean(if you wait too long like i do) and if you overfill the glass bowl it can clog and make inhaling very difficult, like sucking a thick milkshake through a skinny straw.

Other considerations: It’s made in Canada and ARIZER occasionally(think holidays) has 2 for1 sales/half off sales, making their vaporizers and glass extremely affordable.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
The DaVinci IQ is a nice flower Vape that holds .5g+ and you get almost 30 decent hits till it’s cashed. Good battery life, quality construction

I am envisioning Mr. Gray Wolf having discovered the wonders of the terp world by heating his material enough to energize those wonderous molecules from their oily bonds and letting them fly, not into the oven de-carb ether, but his lungs! I have been using that technique since I got the hybrid 'cano, and it really does make a nice bump on top of an oil-induced buzz - say from smoking a doob or eating edibles. My 'cano holds about a joint's worth of ground (or cut up) flower, same as a 1.25 paper joint.

My technique is the temp is set at 420, the chamber is allowed to heat up for about 10 seconds, then the fan is turned on for a power hit.

The terps have flown the coop when that fan is turned on and a lung full of solventy flavor is allowing all the sacs to load up the blood with a rush feeling of relaxation, as the goodness enriched blood travels out to the body extremities with each heart beat.

What a rush, especially the first hit. You can feel the sensation as the blood moves along. As for the material, that dope is now ABV, ready for it's next mission - butter extraction.

Mr. DiscoJack, don't get me wrong but... How you can tolerate 30 hits on half that much flower is a mystery. If I take a second pull on the ABV, the stuff now released (without terps) makes me hack, not just cough. No thanks. I'll grow more, and besides the oil I get from the cookies I make from the butter is an excellent base buzz.

I like the 6 pre-fills. I didn't know that they had that, and that is just right for going down to the pond in the evening and feeding the fish. I assume the capsules stay full after they have been used, and can be used to transport the ABV back to base?

Ima getting a handheld now. I want more carts cause I will lose them. Good idea GW!

Last edited:

EsterEssence

Veteran
I only vape my organic rosin. I have a pulsar bulb fire, a 1450 mah battery, and uses a dual ribbon twist katvthal wrapped quartz coil in a ceramic lined chamber. The Evolve plus xl has a 1400 mah battery with a 4 quartz rods wrapped in high grade titanium coil or a ceramic coil. The barb fire uses a oring sealed push on pull off top, the Evolve uses a screw on cap with a magnetic top. Both are easy to load give great hits, with good battery life.

zaprjaques

I own a Flowermate V5 nano and i like it very much.
​​​​​​Microdosing 'landrace sativas' at the moment and it does the trick for me.
I just put a bit of a fluffy bud directly in the chamber and press it down with a pencil.
Dont care about concentrates or the herb pod it came with. It hits better straight from the chamber.

I LOVE the exchangeable battery option and that you can dial in the temperature as you like.

The build quality could be better but on the other hand its not too pricy.

The build quality of the S&B Products, with the battery feature of the V5 Nano, that would be the perfect vape for me....
Like a Crafty with replaceable batteries.

I feel like i use even less herb with the V5 Nano because i can tickle all the good stuff out of the bud with different temp settings.

​​​​​​​For me its worth the money, and if you treat it nicely and dont wear it out too much you can benefit a lot from the option to swap out batteries.
​​​​​​

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I own a Flowermate V5 nano and i like it very much.
​​​​​​Microdosing 'landrace sativas' at the moment and it does the trick for me.
I just put a bit of a fluffy bud directly in the chamber and press it down with a pencil.
Dont care about concentrates or the herb pod it came with. It hits better straight from the chamber.

I LOVE the exchangeable battery option and that you can dial in the temperature as you like.

The build quality could be better but on the other hand its not too pricy.

The build quality of the S&B Products, with the battery feature of the V5 Nano, that would be the perfect vape for me....
Like a Crafty with replaceable batteries.

I feel like i use even less herb with the V5 Nano because i can tickle all the good stuff out of the bud with different temp settings.

​​​​​​​For me its worth the money, and if you treat it nicely and dont wear it out too much you can benefit a lot from the option to swap out batteries.
​​​​​​
The herb pod OTOH is excellent for kief or Swazi :biggrin: Although not as concentrated (flavours) they still pack a punch and when out and about, convenient. Just reload the chamber with a fresh POD and your good to go :)

I've had mine for 3 yrs. I can't complain. What I like is that everything you need is portable. The unit, mouthpiece etc... are all contained within the unit for transport.

I mostly muse mari-pills which fully get there around 1.5-2hrs for a 6hr ride. At times when I want to get there I'll toke a bowl. To me, smoking a joint although in the day was a social setting, not so much now and for the foreseeable future (Covid), simply tastes like burnt leaves. The Nano provides the flower's "true" bouquet, especially when dialed in to the appropriate terpene you seek! Besides it is smaller than a pack of cigarettes :tiphat:

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
After reading GW's first post, and realizing I am not doing my lungs any favors smoking doobs for all the sticky oils being deposited on the lung surface, I contacted Creme City Vapes and asked if they could match the Canadian shop's price on a S&B Mighty.

Here is what they wrote me back today:

We can do better, use promo code BTS25 and it will come out to $261.75.

'Merica!

Oops, I just tried it and... fail! Edit - the one for $349 seems to work. It gave me 25% across the board on accessories also.

Then the damn credit card verification ap wants me to scan in a fucking .guv ID. What next, fuckin vax card?

NFW.

Last edited:

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I use a Pax3 and a S&B mighty and have an old extremeQ (which is not portable).
You can realy inhale directly into your lungs with the Mighty, with the Pax it's more like little sips, it has more resistance.
They'Re both good, but the mighty is a bit big to take out with me. Batter life is enough for me in both.
What I'm asking myself is if there is a vape that does not stink of weed in your pocket? Both Mighty and Pax, when loaded, will smell like there's no tomorrow and when you're around people it's easily detectable.
Best
CC

H.Marks

Boundless CFX here, resin with the mixed herb can clog it.

They say resin is a no go anyway so what did I expect.

Nice dry grass with a good tabac sub is a superb smoke, the flavor at the back of the throat is just amazing.

vaporizer-boundless-cfx-vaporizer-2_840x840_crop_center.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	vaporizer-boundless-cfx-vaporizer-2_840x840_crop_center.jpg Views:	2 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	17955377

Last edited:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Man all I see around here is the vapes you can buy the THC delta 8 for?? I'm a longtime smoker and really don't get much outta these vapes. I've got almost 40$ for the pen and cartridge. the pens are 10-15$ and delta8 carts around 25$

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The e-pen is the most common around these here parts too, but I've never been comfortable with the diluents commonly in use in carts. The recent episode with Vitamin E Acetate and lipid pneumonia a good example.

While they also produce a flavor, some tasty, I haven't found a cart that actually tasted like fresh vaped bud, which is another reason I continue to experiment with vaporizers instead of e-pens.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
The e-pen is the most common around these here parts too, but I've never been comfortable with the diluents commonly in use in carts. The recent episode with Vitamin E Acetate and lipid pneumonia a good example.
That is because some idiots on the black market were taking shortcuts. Mama always said, if the price is too good to be true, avoid it like the plague.

As a vaper, using PG as the only dilutant or even VG, although PG was the original ecig dilutant, should only be used by those who are affected by PG. Then again, some folks are allergic to VG, etc... and, PEG should never in both my humble and learned opinion be used. PEG was discovered that it produces 3 times the cloud emitted, when compared to straight PG. Seriously, did we ever "concern" orselves with the amount of smoke (clouds) we produced by "combusting"? No! So someone will need to explain to me the fascination. Being a vaper going on 12 yrs

Where legal, grow and make your own.

While they also produce a flavor, some tasty, I haven't found a cart that actually tasted like fresh vaped bud, which is another reason I continue to experiment with vaporizers instead of e-pens.
I have! But you are right, nothing taste like a good vaporizer smoke session. The carts I am referring to, the flavour profile is there, I believe what you are not accustomed to is the "concentration" of said flavour profile. e.g the flavour profile of normal 40% dark rum and the same (made from same company) dark rum at 151%.

Subu

I own a Mighty and rate it very highly. Its only limitations are merely the result of engineering constraints at its given performance level. GL with a light duty vape

Latest posts

Latest posts