What's new

Dry sift in 120 proof/60% alcohol - how much can it dissolve?

Lurium2000

60% is the strongest available, so Im thinking of making a small batch of dry sift in my 190 bag (we use what we have šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø) and add to the alcohol, and strain.

Will 1 ml alcohol dissolve 1g sift?

Tynehead Tom

no idea how much it will dissolve but are you planning to produce an oil to vape/smoke or an edible product?
You could use a 60% ethanol product like a clear Vodka but you would have to evap it in a vacuum chamber to get the water out or you will have to cook it so long it will lose it's potency and flavor.
So I would not waste my time and just press the dry sift into hash.
If you are planning to consume the product as an edible or use it as a salve or lotion then it probably doesn't matter.

But again.... I would not even bother and I would press the dry sift into hash.
I do extracts from home made hash all the time and I use 190 proof everclear or I'll use 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol ..... but generally I stick to ethanol (190 proof everclear), which is made from corn and does not leave anything behind like other alcohols do.

Lurium2000

Making tincture to be used as tuncture.. the big question is if the 120 proof will dissolve enough drysift so I dont have to drink like shots, and not drops, maybe even a milliliter.

GrouchyOldMan

Great topic, I've been unable to find the answer to this question anywhere!

My normal QWET extraction uses seven grams of herb and two alcohol washes of three ounces each, six ounces total. I typically reduce the resulting tincture by half or more to achieve a finished potency of about 25 mg/ml. That works fine but half the alcohol is flashed off and wasted. Undesirable, but not enough to spend serious dollars on Turbo or other distillation gear.

I'd like to use the minimum amount of Everclear to extract the available THC. Someone out there must know if there is a saturation point or a reduction in extraction efficiency as the ratio of herb to alcohol increases.

I recently made a very potent tincture using two grams of DECARBED bubble hash and a single ounce of alcohol. The result was almost a full ounce of Tincture with about 45 mg/ml potency. Close to zero waste. I'd like to get the same result from dried, cured & decarbed bud, so the practical question becomes:

How little alcohol is needed to fully extract the available THC from an ounce of good quality weed?

EsterEssence

Veteran
I miss read your post, I should wake up before I post. I havenā€™t had much luck with 60% alc pulling much out, I got some 151 instead of 190 one time and the yield didnā€™t even compare to what the 190 pulled outā€¦

Lurium2000

My idea of dry sifting in a bubblebag wasnt my best idea.. ended up soaking in 60% instead.
Just forget about it for a while, and we'll see.. meanwhile I'll buy some cubes for my bags instead šŸ˜

DenverJim

I use 95% and 10g dry sift ( water hash washes away all the terpenes plus it's too messy ) will dissolve in it however, if you let too much evaporate there will be percipate out. I use 1oz amber bottles. So if you use 1og and assume 50% THC that = 100mg THC per ml of alcohol. since I don't decarb first, I melt ~ a TBS coconut oil in a Sause pan heat it to around 300F and add 1ml tincture when its decarbed after several min its ready cool and consume.
I had read that tincture decarbs after 30 days of room temperature. I did that then put it in the freezer. I didn't get much of a buzz. So i figured out rhe coconut oil method. I also use this method to test males. just get 2-3g of mall flower coverings powder and dump in hot oil. Sometimes the effect is not very pleasant others it is quite effective.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alcohol and concentrate will mix at any ratios, but not so for extraction, as the process slows down to a crawl as the solvent becomes less concentrated.

40% of the alcohols ability to hold solute is gone with the water. In heaven you could maybe reach 50% saturation extracting with the balance, but probably closer to 33%. 33% of 60% is about 19.8%, so maybe about 200mg/L here on earth and 500 mg/L potential.

Dry sieve has a lot of non soluble cellulous so at best is maybe 70% concentrate, so you would require at least 1.4 grams of dry sieve to produce a gram of concentrate.

Consider distilling the 120 proof to 190 proof using a refluxing column:

https://graywolfslair.com/index.php/...-proof-ethanol

Last edited: