What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Need recommendation on rosin press.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I should have bought a 15 ton pneumatic rig a few years ago, but knew I was moving, and it weighed 350 pounds. Looking for a good quality rosin press to do about 5K grams a year, so no tiny hand presses. Would be beneficial if east coast for shipping costs. Also if you know of a good youtube video on pressing. I remember it was tricky getting pressure and temperature right, and special bags were needed. Also how do you extract the remaining THC from the pucks after pressing?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
You can make butter with the pucks, or extract with another solvent, but it will be green.

I have never found the small bags to be worth the hassle, but I was pressing 7 gr at a time. 11 pounds/year is a slightly bigger scale.

Loc Dog

Veteran
You can make butter with the pucks, or extract with another solvent, but it will be green.

I have never found the small bags to be worth the hassle, but I was pressing 7 gr at a time. 11 pounds/year is a slightly bigger scale.

Will soaking the pucks make them expand and fall apart? When I made cannabutter, the material was soaked for about a day anyway, and removed much of the chlorophyl.

Looking at dabpress 12 ton pneumatic with 4 X 7 plates and 1200 watts of heat.

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
Soaking in butter/water makes flowers fall apart, so pucks are sure to dissolve. I can't stress how much you will hate the bags if you try to squish through them. I'll send you some if you really want to try them. They do make good strainers for the water inlet for a SIP bed. Water is key in making butter, as the nasties dissolve in the water.

JRace

I should have bought a 15 ton pneumatic rig a few years ago, but knew I was moving, and it weighed 350 pounds. Looking for a good quality rosin press to do about 5K grams a year, so no tiny hand presses. Would be beneficial if east coast for shipping costs. Also if you know of a good youtube video on pressing. I remember it was tricky getting pressure and temperature right, and special bags were needed. Also how do you extract the remaining THC from the pucks after pressing?

I soak my pucks in Ethanol for a couple of hours, makes decent oil for capsules.

I have the dab press 5 ton, 3x5 plates, max flower is about 5gram / press.
I do wish I grabbed the 12 ton instead.

Loc Dog

Veteran
I soak my pucks in Ethanol for a couple of hours, makes decent oil for capsules.

I have the dab press 5 ton, 3x5 plates, max flower is about 5gram / press.
I do wish I grabbed the 12 ton instead.

Is grain alcohol (190 proof) good enough?

What compressor do you use?

Loc Dog

Veteran
Soaking in butter/water makes flowers fall apart, so pucks are sure to dissolve. I can't stress how much you will hate the bags if you try to squish through them. I'll send you some if you really want to try them. They do make good strainers for the water inlet for a SIP bed. Water is key in making butter, as the nasties dissolve in the water.

Do you use a metal frame when you press?

flylowgethigh

Non-growing Lurker
ICMag Donor
I have a 3-4 ton, 3x5 dabpress with single channel heater control. It cost about $375 last year. Nice unit, but will only do what the round 1" pre-puck cylinder will make, about 5-7 gr. That is OK for squishng enough for a dab session. I just put the puck between a folded sheet of parchment, and scraped the rosin off on a chilled plate, after putting the parchment in the freezer. I never use it, cause I don't really like rosin (hate the sticky mess, and heavy lungs). That press with the hand pump is too small to squish what you plan to do IMO. The power squishers might be more appropriate.

This is the one I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Hydraulic-dp-...411671&sr=8-10

I need to sell the press, to get rid of another charge if they ever raid me. Damn thing is too big and heavy to ship.