What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Rosin convert looking for electric rig.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m tired of using the torch myself but it does get the job done .... horrible tool though:smoky:

methias

Having worked a spell in the ecig industry (vendor), I avoid any device that doesn't have replaceable batteries. Batteries are 15 dollars or so a pop (18650s). Batteries, including the ones in devices are good for 300-500 (dependent on lithium quality) recharges then they are toast.

So in my humblest of opinions, unless you can replace the battery or plug it in a wall, simply pass. They will soon get the msg. By the way an 18650 is pretty much kaput after a year. Batteries of lesser quality, 6 months. :tiphat:

Good advice.
I agree completely. Replaceable batteries goes on the list.
Thank you,

Vape on kids.

methias

My special lady friend has the carta focus v and she like it for wax, rosin and dry.

Wow.
the Carta Focus V seems to check off my needs and wants.
It reviews well and it's cost isn't prohibitive.
I'm pulling the trigger on the Carta.
Thank you.:tiphat:

Vape on kids

EsterEssence

Veteran
I have a Evolve plus XL and the battery has lasted at least 2 years with daily use, I also have a Pulsar Barb Fire that the battery has lasted at least a year with daily use, so either I am lucky or they have a long battery life. The torch is hard to control the heat, it’s easy to get a hot hit...

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I have a Evolve plus XL and the battery has lasted at least 2 years with daily use, I also have a Pulsar Barb Fire that the battery has lasted at least a year with daily use, so either I am lucky or they have a long battery life. The torch is hard to control the heat, it’s easy to get a hot hit...

I am not bullshitting here! I own a battery analyzer and have done my homework. Read...

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/the_secrets_of_battery_runtime

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
When we look at the price of some of those devices, which are equipped with Li PO batteries, it is simply not worth the expense. I simply pass. You might well be lucky, but I doubt that :tiphat:

krypt

I own a carta, peak and dabcool. Id highly recommend all 3. That being said the peak with a quartz insert is buy far my favorite from the 3. Dabcool however provides a similar hit to peak at a fraction of the cost but doesnt have great customer service. Hope that helps somewhat

MrMMJ

For any rechargeable battery, whether removable or not, the main cause of degradation is the heat created during recharging. It's best to recharge at 50% capacity, rather than running them down to almost dead before charging. Less time on the charger creates less heat.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
For any rechargeable battery, whether removable or not, the main cause of degradation is the heat created during recharging

Nope!

If you use the proper charging amperage e.g a 3600mAh battery can withstand 3.6A charging current. As long as you stay below that e.g most chargers for 18650 batteries are set for max 1.5A. If you took the time to read the link I provided wrt "rock content" you would understand. Li Ion degrades over time with use. Is the gas in your car recyclable,? No! Once it is spent/burnt it is gone. Same thing here as the ions have done there job they are dead and fall to the bottom of the battery. Theses ions create what is called "rock content" (think of a pile of rocks on retaining walls etc...) As DC current flows to ground + ---> - the current must flow through the rocks to get to once again free flowing. This is a vicious circle as more energy is expended going through the "rock content", more ions are spent and hence dead. Leaving less energy available. Metaphorically speaking... walk 5 miles you expend X. Now walk the same 5 miles with a 100lbs ruck on your back. How "more" tired or energy has been/was expended on the 2nd walk compared to the 1st. :tiphat:

ETA: What you will notice over time is... it takes less time to charge your battery but, your "charged time" will not last as long. A battery analyzer is a great tool to see this. In beautifully coloured graphs. :) Same things happen to phones and, wait for it, that is why you can no longer change your battery on phones anymore. We live in a consumer society, why sell you a battery, when you can buy a new phone.

MrMMJ

Nothing personal, but I don't trust following others posted links. As a retired electrician who's worked with everything from 0 to 480v, I didn't really see the need. Been vaping since the early cig-a-likes, currently own an IPV3li, gen1 and gen3 reuleaux, 3 fushia 223's, Triad dna250, and either broke,lost, or given away countless others, so I'm somewhat familiar with 18650's and their life expectancy and charging. There's no set number of times a battery can be charged, only estimates/averages. Run a set down to dead and recharge them in a very hot room 100 times, take another set and recharge them when at 50% down in a very cool room 200 times, then run an analysis. There's more to the degradation of a battery than simply the number of times it's been recharged (heat, charger type, frequency, material type and purity, etc), much like there's more than one factor involved in how much energy is output from a gallon of gas in a car.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Nothing personal, but I don't trust following others posted links. As a retired electrician who's worked with everything from 0 to 480v, I didn't really see the need. Been vaping since the early cig-a-likes, currently own an IPV3li, gen1 and gen3 reuleaux, 3 fushia 223's, Triad dna250, and either broke,lost, or given away countless others, so I'm somewhat familiar with 18650's and their life expectancy and charging. There's no set number of times a battery can be charged, only estimates/averages. Run a set down to dead and recharge them in a very hot room 100 times, take another set and recharge them when at 50% down in a very cool room 200 times, then run an analysis. There's more to the degradation of a battery than simply the number of times it's been recharged (heat, charger type, frequency, material type and purity, etc), much like there's more than one factor involved in how much energy is output from a gallon of gas in a car.

I support your argument and glad to see you gave up combustion.

No charging cycles do indeed vary, there is no denying that. I have had these conversations in the ecig forums. The quality of lithium that is in theses batteries does play a role. e.g when are the ions spent (life cycle). One thing that took off like a bat out of hell, is that there is no recharging memory like the old Nicads. where you had to totally discharged the battery in order not to create a "memory threshold". That being said, because charging does affect its life expectancy. there isn't a finite number of times a battery can be recharged.

Getting back to the quality of the lithium I am only going to compare 2 brands which you should be familiar with: AW; and Efest. Folks used to say that Efest was just as good as AW at 1/2 the cost. It was not. Of course prior to analyzing a battery's performance, without the use of an analyzer was pure speculation at best and folks used to say it was in our heads. It was not and proven through the charging and discharging graphs. Because I was a vendor, I bought a battery analyzer, not something the avg Joe would do, because they had no need to go through that unnecessary expense.

Once upon a time, we could expect 5 yrs out of a car battery and the litmus test was how does/did the battery performs during winter. We are living in a "consumer society" where nothing lasts like it use to, regardless of what that might be. We are seeing having to replace our car batteries every 3 yrs now compared to the old 5/6 yrs. All this has transpired with the no "maintenance" batteries. That being said, I never had to "top off"replace the acid in the batteries (yes I have that meter), I simply checked the water levels and topped off with distilled water as required. Of course this was the cats meow to folks that were not "mechanically inclined".

Getting back on track, I don't know what experience you have had during your ecig journey, but having been a "vaper" for 11 yrs, does indeed qualify me (having gone through the woes of self contained batteries) during that time, to avoid self contained batteries. So If I'm going to spend $300 on a dab rig, I want replaceable batteries as that is the weakest link to longevity. Battery University was widely distributed during my time spent on ecig forums. Therefore, my initial recommendation :tiphat:

MrMMJ

Started cigs at 15, switched to vaping at 53, 8 yrs ago. Had a smok 80w box with an internal, way back when that was the highest wattage mod out. It was one of the first trying to do temp control, so I gave it a shot. Normally I would never recommend any device without replaceable batteries, but did earlier as the OP seemed mainly concerned with cost.

Ah, the old ni-cads....in the 80's, we'd tape the trigger on our 7.2v Makita drills to run it completely dead before hitting the charger. Funny how impressed with the power we were when the "big" 9.6v version came out.

Always good to hear the thoughts of someone with some actual knowledge on a subject, rather than one spewing the latest hype. I appreciate that. It's been disappointing to watch the decline of quality and education towards the lazy, selfish, shortsighted trend of throwaway consumerism.....
Take care, Good luck !

MrBungle

There are some very nice enail kits on amazon under 100.. You will still need a water pipe of sorts to use it, but you might be able to find one with the water pipe included for a little bit more if you look around some.... I am picky with water pipes so I just got them separate... I also think its pretty important to purchase a drop down of sorts as well.. It will collect the reclaim if you want to keep it, but most importantly it keeps the rig a lot cleaner for a longer period of time

methias

My Carta FocusV arrived.
A little smaller than I thought.

Gave it a full charge and loaded it up with a tiny little dab.
Turned it on and,,,
I like it.
Played with the temperatures and settled on levil 2 for a nice smooth hit.
Thank you everyone for all your input.
I believe I made the correct decision on rigs.
It's small and unobtrusive. It heats up quickly.
Tasts great, and unless you try to do the whole dab in one hit it's smooth too.

Again,
Thank you all.:tiphat:

Vape on kids

Attachments

• photo2044221.jpg
    photo2044221.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 37
  • photo2044222.jpg
    photo2044222.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 39

EsterEssence

Veteran
I’m glad we have another rosin lover, that vapes his product. I converted in ‘15 with a hair iron in a vice with a trough of parchment for the rosin to run into, the original driptech and have never looked back...

EsterEssence

Veteran
Here is my stash of “dark rosin” it is buttering up and a thin layer of it is golden as seen in my avatar so dark rosin from hash powder or kief as it is called is not a bad outcome...

Attachments

• photo2045769.jpg
    photo2045769.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 40

Latest posts

Latest posts