What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Isopropyl alcohol and its link to cancer.

stashpot

Hi, I have never liked extractions other than pure rosin with heat.
I have found long studies of Iso linked to flukes that cause cancer.
I just want to put this out there i feel like people are using bad chemicals to smoke something that's already pure and natural.

Also a friend of mine got lung cancer he then went to extracting cannabis with iso and other chemicals after the fact he got cancer, thinking it would help him and in my opinion speed up his early death.

here's a small example from studies of iso and cancer.
I am not trying to scare, or direct people on how they do stuff, but please be more careful when you use chemicals with studies behind them.
I also found it ironic that this chemical was one of the first used to make extractions that claimed made people feel better, rick simpson oil as they called it! yet here we have studies and papers on cancer related to such chemicals.

~Take this as you will. Peace.
EvWMUpzWQAAjeIt.jpg

Attachments

• EvWLNv6XYAAfLBJ.jpg
    EvWLNv6XYAAfLBJ.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 103

stashpot

One needs to start wondering about these methods that get promoted mainstream and who they benefit and who they don't.
Usually its the people who make the money benefit and the ones trying to get better normally don't.

Food for thought, that's all.

stashpot

For example the iso market
The extraction market (very big these days)
The clubs, stores and dispensaries all gain from these chemically extracted oils.
Then you have the big boys who make it in said country and sell it to the rest of the world's medical sectors.

The country UK and US biggest exporters of medical cannabis products including oil.. im sure they make this product if not with iso, other bad chemicals which i have no doubt is trying to kill you and everybody around you (including the kids which need this oil). But hey that's just my world view.

Feel free to add what you want about the subject, just don't come with bad energy im just creating awareness if nothing else, all the best.

mowood3479

Veteran
I mean lab tests show pretty clearly whether a product is purged of excess solvents.
there are people who produce clean product and people who don’t.
I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water... just my opinion.. I do prefer rosin to any solvent produced hash but idk if I can jump on board the all solvent based hash has adulterants.
also I was under the impression that rso called for the use of naptha (basically paint thinner)... perhaps I am recalling it wrong

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Rick advocated for the use of ethanol initially and his older videos used it.

He seems to have deviated with the use of machinery my guess is he had some confidence in removing solvent efficiently.

Cuddles

Rick advocated for the use of ethanol initially and his older videos used it.

He seems to have deviated with the use of machinery my guess is he had some confidence in removing solvent efficiently.

tons of people used to use ISO and many still do. Fact is Rick Simpson and those who used his method,helped a lot of people.
I´ve used iso in the past as well but already decided to use grain alc. from now on. mostly because you can make tinctures with it and if you still want oil, then you just boil it off as per usual.

Stashpot, I´m sorry about your friend passing. Maybe they just discovered the illness too late? It happens in so many people who die of cancer - it is not noticed untill it´s too late. It´s always so sad.
What other solvents was he using , this would be very educational to know.

stashpot

Again i will quote myself for people who think i am throwing the baby out "make of this as you will". "Food for thought".
The Studies are the only thing that backs my words on the subject not my opinions or facts just those studies, in the links of cancer and the flukes and iso.
if you want to chance it go right ahead i wouldn't stop anybody, including my friend who died who i told about the iso and its links to cancer but he thought otherwise I'm assuming as he smoked the extracts.
Yes rick also intended for it to be a topical for his skin and not to be smoked into the lungs and bloodstream who knows guys all i did was post the studies if anything i gave you some anti cancer tips stay away from iso from getting into you 1 way or another.

Cuddles

Like I said, I wouldn´t use iso anymore either but smoking the oil doesn´t do anything for cancer anyway, you gotta ingest it. I´ve never smoked the oil myself, I´m a pure plant or hash type person. Also I found that it takes a bloody long time to really boil off the iso which as you stated it toxic. You can´t consume medicinal alcohol

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
I am pretty sure ethanol was the solvent of choice initially because it was known that iso was potentially dangerous. IIRC d.gold goes through some of this in cannabis alcameny but it has been over 30 years since I have read it.

mexweed

Veteran
it was my understanding that the cancerous part of iso was during the manufacturing of it

is it bad to use iso to clean the resin off hands when trimming or cleaning bongs

is it bad to use it to sanitize cuts or wounds

stashpot

it was my understanding that the cancerous part of iso was during the manufacturing of it

is it bad to use iso to clean the resin off hands when trimming or cleaning bongs

is it bad to use it to sanitize cuts or wounds

it explains how iso is a host for the flukes which at that point your body cannot fight them off.
That's the point here, it doesn't cause cancer its a host for it.
All the best.

mexweed

Veteran
I looked into flukes a bit more apparently they're pretty rare at least in the U.S. but it makes you wonder about other parasite type organisms that might be on plant matter when it's extracted such as mold, isobutane gets used to extract as well, and what happens when isobutane gets winterized with ethanol

Maple_Flail

eh.. rick used naphta initally... seriously.. not ethanol or iso. THAT is much worse....

On the mass legal market in Canada, the big boys don't use ISO. they use Supercritical CO2 and occasionally food grade ethanol for certain finished products.
Like with any solvent, It needs to be purged.. if not purged properly then yes there can be issues.

for example:
https://www.nature.com/articles/7211646

yes Iso can be dangerous, however in certain areas, It may be your best option(stores being karen's about full case butane buys for example).. It is best to arm yourself with knowledge... Its ISO you can finish purging it if you are keen enough.

farweed

thanks for sharing this info, I've been wanting to make tinctures and trying to find the safest method - both physically and for my health.