What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Do they grow towards the light?

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
For well over ten years I have run a vertical garden. I have never follow any kind of belief that cannabis grows towards the light. The leaves on my plants orientate to the brightest light but all the branches do their thing and grow in all directions including, but not only, towards the light.
Bare bulb, HPS and LED with little or no overhead lighting or no screen, all it takes is an occasional stake to keep a random shoot out of the lights.

Have you ever noticed them orientated towards the HID when the LED was the brighter light ? I'm wondering if they judge where the most energy comes from, based on total effect or effects of a specific type, such as might be caused by 660nm (maybe your leds have 660 but not 730 and beyond)

My veg is just citizen cobs and I have moved the light away, so it's no longer above them but instead at 45 degree's away. It's still the only source in the area though. Results will take a little while to come in. Then I may add a heat source the other side. To play them off against each other.

As a general observation, the other type of money plant on my window sill likes to lean towards the light. It's just a stick. Recently it busted out side growth which shows no interest. If it did grow towards the light in it's entirety, it will fall in the direction of the equator. Evolution would of made it a creeper long ago. Oh.. wait.. it is a creeper. It puts out roots from it's stem all the time. That's a wormhole I don't want to think about. Back to Cannabis plants.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
When I was a teenager, I tried to grow a few plants in my bedroom with fluro tubes.
I had a makeshift light that came from a movie poster display.
I had the light directly above the plant. One day I got the bright idea to see what happens if I put my black light on it.
Within 30 minutes the plants turned away from the fluro above and all three completely oriented towards the black light. All three bent in half at a 90 degree angle to point it's top at the blacklight. It was surprising because the fluro tube "looked" much brighter than the blacklight and was closer to the tops.
Even though the blacklight was further away and on the side, instead of directly above

hayday

Veteran
I ran two donuts for a shot amount of time, one hps and the other led. The led side looked at their light and the hps did the same. There were some plants that were in close proximity to both lights but they each faced the bright light they were hanging out around.

Now I have to admit, I was not looking for any kind of data here so I might not have noticed any minor difference between the two lights and the back of the middle plants. Sorry not more conclusive here lol

Drewsif

Antigravity + light = where they grow. Someday we will harness the plants antigravity technology. We already grew eyeballs to detect light.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
So, unsurprisingly, my plants didn't grow towards my off center light, but did turn their leaves towards it.
I will try with a heat source tomorrow, though it's new years eve so I just might be incapacitatyedz

Blacklight is UV and photons here carry more energy than the red end of the spectrum where I'm looking. Interesting... very interesting. Bent in half though? Are you pulling my leg? lol

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
420giveaway
So, unsurprisingly, my plants didn't grow towards my off center light, but did turn their leaves towards it.
I will try with a heat source tomorrow, though it's new years eve so I just might be incapacitatyedz

Blacklight is UV and photons here carry more energy than the red end of the spectrum where I'm looking. Interesting... very interesting. Bent in half though? Are you pulling my leg? lol
Not pulling your leg, but probably didn't describe it well.
The stem wasn't bent at a 90 degree like a straw, or like when you bend a branch for supercropping, but the plant was bent 90 degree.. the stem had a sharp rounded curve that caused the tops to be completely facing the wall that the light was on. When I walked up to the plant it was bent away from me and I could see only undersides of the leaves.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I have not hung my soldering iron beside a cutting yet, but this is an interesting quote from Sampas92
"i use a 15w halogen bulb with 54w of sils.
The other day i made an experience and replaced the 15w for an 100w halogen bulb that i had laying around for 15+ years, the thing is in 2 hours it was the plants were quite perky but the thing i find most interesting was that the leafs were much more cooler to the touch and also sligtly turned to the halogen bulb"

Maybe 25% of his visible light was from the Halogen. Based on his LEDs being 100 lumens per watt.