What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tony's silver thiosulfate notes

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
“ And
5.9566 grams sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate in 240 ml water
Or
3.7946 grams sodium thio anhydrous in 240 ml water”

Did u use the sodium thio anhydrous or sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate in your recipe?

And where did u source them? Thought i read about people getting flagged ordering the silver and sodium from same place...

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The sodium is easily obtainable, any you get should be fine tbh, the silver is harder if you want higher ql.

midwestkid

Veteran
I finally spotted male parts forming on the plant I sprayed. I will have to look over my notes. It took longer than I expected but we had a brutal cold spell that lasted a couple weeks. It landed right in the middle of this experiment. Ended up doing a 4th spray after the cold spell. I think it's happening...

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
Tonygreen appreciate yo research notes man! This reversal lookin like its going to be success, already got pollen droppin n fallin out of flowers that open.👌🙏
9E90EB25-1E7A-4963-AA69-D6FD5B97D7B0.jpeg

Attachments

• 9E90EB25-1E7A-4963-AA69-D6FD5B97D7B0.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 9E90EB25-1E7A-4963-AA69-D6FD5B97D7B0.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 102

WoodForTrees

Tonygreen are you able to tell by now if the pollen from your 3mM experiment was viable? I see this as the main risk and the one I am trying to balance in deciding on a spray schedule.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes. Extremely viable, With my over pollination and extra work it was my best seed production last year even beating males. I am reversing again shortly and will repeat day 7, 14 and 21 sprays.
The hard part is letting go. haha. If you keep spraying theyll never mature and fall off. You gotta just stop on that last one lol.

Goodherb

If one a pre- mix STS products ,will it be viable after 30 days !?

If STS is it refrigerated for more than two week , cause shipping will remain viable?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Day 25 on a new pheno of gb. Beat this one up letting soil medium get too acid. Not sts damage.
hopefully within 10 days we got dust.. this part is netve wracking with the work to set up the run and no back up if it fails.. looking on track... 3mM sprays 7 14 21

Attachments

• photo2075450.jpg
    photo2075450.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 68

NIKT

From F# forum. A thread from many years ago. Dozens of people and tests. 547 thousand views in over 10 years. From STS through AgNO3 itself, techniques combining Ga3 with the above-mentioned as well as cobalt chloride.

https://forum.haszysz.com/threads/ro...relacja.25244/

Much of photographic documentation has been lost. The language is not very well known, but Google probably copes well with the translation.

Compendium based on the experience gathered on forum #.

https://www.wiki.haszysz.com/index.p...le=Feminizacja

https://www.wiki.haszysz.com/index.php?title=STS

https://www.wiki.haszysz.com/index.p...=Azotan_srebra

https://www.wiki.haszysz.com/index.p...hlorek_kobaltu

https://www.wiki.haszysz.com/index.php?title=AVG

Another Polish forum. the method and concentrations used are a copy of the procedure worked out on F #. Forum founded by F # refugees.

https://www.growlike.pro/forum/nasie...art=0&start=70

The procedure popular in the forum # is basically a copy of the technique used in the cultivation of parthenocarpic female cucumbers. From a series of tests it appears that cannabis behaves more or less similar to. About 10 years ago. Rather higher doses compared to previously available procedures. At that time, ready-made STS solutions were available in Poland. Usually copies of routines from a former overgrow.

What is most interesting about it is the use of combined procedures [silver + Ga3 eg] and cobalt chloride.

CoCl[SUB]2[/SUB]Cobalt(II) chloride => the procedure used is in the thread mentioned at the beginning.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cobalt(II)_chloride

Kobalt01.jpg
Kobalt012.jpg
Kobalt_02.jpg

Maybe interesting, maybe not. A lot of people took part in it. Collected experience, in some cases it was not very clear why something went wrong. In the end, perhaps the conclusion was that - rather genetically conditioned infertility and the addition of Ga3 to silver does not improve fertility, probably.

also other ethylene inhibitors have been tested. Unfortunately, nothing came of this experience. Those that are described in the scientific literature, in any case, work in doses relatively similar to those for silver. Other more exotic compounds, such as nickel compounds, did not work. The reports on aspirin have not been verified.

The first version of the F # method. => Gru 18, 2010
We need to make two solutions, solution A and solution B.
Solution A: Dissolve 1.7 g of AgNO3 in 100 ml of distilled / deionized water.
Solution B: Dissolve 6.32 g of anhydrous sodium thiosulfate in 400 ml of water - it does not have to be distilled. (If you have water thiosulfate (Na2S2O3-5H2O), that's ok too, just add 9.92g instead of 6.32g)

Preparation of STS solution: To obtain a 0.02m STS solution, we mix the solutions in a 1: 4 volume ratio, i.e. we give 1 part of solution A and 4 parts of solution B. In the STS obtained in this way, all the silver is in the anionic form. Always add slowly 1 part of solution A to 4 volumes of solution B with gentle agitation. Syringes can be used for drawing up solutions - one per solution. Do not swap.

Dilutions. Tap water can be used for dilution. Sodium thiosulfate dissolves silver chloride / bromide etc. Therefore, the chlorides present in the tap water do not interfere with anything. The problem will only arise when you salt the water.

For single spraying in the early growth stage. First signs of flowering and / or time to switch to 12/12:

1: 2 -> 0.006 m => 6mM
1: 3 -> 0.005 m compromise. =>5mM
1: 4 -> 0.004 m => 4mM

Range of watery concentrations needed for repeated spraying 2 or even 3 times at intervals of 5-10 days.

1: 7 -> 0.0025 m =>2,5 mM
1: 8 -> 0.0022 m => 2,2 mM
1: 9 -> 0.0020 m => 2,0 mM
Day 25 on a new pheno of gb. Beat this one up letting soil medium get too acid. Not sts damage.
hopefully within 10 days we got dust.. this part is netve wracking with the work to set up the run and no back up if it fails.. looking on track... 3mM sprays 7 14 21

Very similar method to the procedure used on F #. Essentially the same range of concentrations when replicated several times. To improve absorption, a dishwashing liquid was recommended instead of the tween usually used in such cases. The minimum dose, such that it does not foam.
Here are the effects of using a copy of the "mohan ram" procedure. Ear cleaning stick instead of a micropipette. Silver nitrate 500 mg/l alone with the addition of a surfactant [dishwashing liquid] a single drop squeezed from an ear stick, a few repetitions. Practically local action, as long as nothing drops off the stem. In this form, silver moves much slower in plant tissues, while the form of a thiosulphate complex moves very quickly and you can, for example, simply lubricate the stems several times with a very concentrated solution, it spreads quickly.

The method below was used for the partial sex change of plants intended to obtain the S line from selfing. 5 cycles _ with more or less expected results. Useful when you want to produce a small amount of male flowers on a single top. It's also possible with STS or even CS _ in the forum people did it too. At CS, a lot of repetitions and rather local spraying with a micro perfume sprayer.

bawelna.jpg
76.jpg

Cucumbers, the results that people obtained in the forum were similar, as well as the toxicity of silver nitrate for plants. At the same doses of silver in the form of a thiosulphate complex, it does not have the strong side effects characteristic of AgNO 3. It can be said that the totality of the so-called experiments was based on cucumber techniques.

ogorek_to_jagoda.jpg

Pollen fertility. Some without a problem, some not at all. Exactly as described in the article you posted. ;)

https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/vi...ticle-p547.xml

It was suspected that Ga3 might [by analogy] help in situations where pollen is sterile. This compound has been used to restore fertility in some self-incompatible plants. For the reproduction of the line of some of the self-fertile varieties [I think onion _ intended for easy creation of F1 hybrids ?? I do not remember a decade has passed since the time when people were looking for a way around emerging problems]
Silver oxide. Instead of CS which is actually something like a mixture containing some silver ions possibly coming from the silver oxide that is being formed. Darker brownish versions may contain a colloidal suspension of this compound. It probably also contains silver carbonate, CO2 from the air.

https://forum.haszysz.com/threads/tl...nizacja.75433/

The electrolytically obtained silver oxide from any alloy, it don"t need not be particularly pure. It dissolves in thiosulfate solution, the resulting solution is basically the same as ordinary STS. Application results. Sterile pollen - which is not related to how the ethylene inhibitor solution was obtained. The idea to do this popped up somewhere on F # and was implemented by someone. Similarly, copper oxide was obtained, the purpose of an addition to farms for painting flower pots.

normal_DSCN1356.jpg
normal_DSCN1361.jpg

normal_DSCN1350.jpg
normal_DSCN1348.jpg

normal_DSCN1559.jpg
normal_DSCN1582.jpg

normal_DSCN1637.jpg
normal_DSCN1630.jpg

the addition of sodium base NaOH during electrolysis causes the formation of AgOH which is unstable and falls out of the solution as silver oxide. Instead of passing the silver ions between the electrodes as was customary in the preparation of what is called in CS forums, they are removed from the solution in the form of an oxide deposit. The dried oxide can be weighed and dissolved in the thiosulfate solution. Known weight of oxide - calculated amount of thiosulphate in solution form - typically 4 moles per mole of silver. But you can also 8. Then dilute the obtained STS to a known volume and there is a similar solution to that obtained from nitrate. The silver oxide is not pure so the resulting STS may be slightly less active.

Sodium base is readily available pipe cleaner in loose form. They usually add aluminum filings to it, which needs to be separated.

The amateur production of feminized seeds was very popular on the forum #. Probably almost all available methods were tested. There are also data on efficacy-enhancing additives to STS, some growth retardants. This is strange as these substances act in opposition to gibberellins, which are also used to sex-change female cannabis.

Lots of reports, talk and photos. Forum section dedicated to this. Besides, in many photo reports there was a lot of it outside the designated place.

https://forum.haszysz.com/forums/feminizacja.71/

Last edited:

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very interesting post so thank you very much for sharing.

I've had some thoughts on intersex rates in progeny as related to a particular method. I know in particular several big breeders who have a fondness for the ga3 or others that you water in once and done. Interestingly 2 in particular i can think of are putting out massive numbers of feminized seed using root drench ga3 or similar due to the ease of the reversal and it seems they have a large number of intersex plants. No doubt we will see much more research done in the coming years. Maybe some surprises too ha.

Latest posts

Latest posts