What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does CO2-enrichment cause oversexed stigmas? (relating to hairy buds)

brolex

[FONT=&quot]Greetings, everyone.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Seen here are buds off of a 50/50 hybrid plant that was flowered for almost 10 weeks, when the breeder specified an average of 7 weeks. Trichomes are mostly cloudy, with a slight amount of ambers. Grow adhered to VPD, with day temp of 73F.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am curious if CO2-enrichment (1500ppm to 1800ppm) could potentially cause mature buds to possess thick, voluminous stigma hairs?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I honestly have not ruled out if the pheno is sativa-leaning, or if the plant was harvested a bit too early.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]These are the dried flowers:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

These are budshots taken at end of week 9 of flowering:

brolex

I am asking because the calyxes did not seem to visibly swell up even after flowering for almost 10 weeks.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I found Sat/Sat leaning don't swell up as much, under normal circumstances. So I don't know. I do long veg (8 weeks) and bloom until cloudy with only the odd amber, most of the time a couple of weeks longer than what the breeder recommends.

moses wellfleet

Veteran
In my experience CO2 enrichment does not detract from quality.

Breeder's recommended flowering times are usually wildly optimistic at best.

prune

Veteran
Over-fertilization can be accumulative and leads to acidification of the soil and a generally toxic environment for the root system. Potassium uptake is limited and the calyx never swell and "ripen".

When ammoniacal nitrogen predominates and accumulates it can exert a hormonal effect that favors vegetal growth over the normal flowering response, hence the re-flush of stigmas...