What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

At what point do old seed origin plants finish at the same speed as clones?

Biologist

I've been thinking a lot about where I want my grow to go and I like everything about plants from seeds except the finishing times. My plants from seeds finish in 10 full weeks and my clones finish in 8 weeks or so. Huge difference over many harvests, 5.2 harvests per year vs. 6.5.

I have unlimited veg time if I plan and I was just wondering if you let a plant from seed grow long enough does it get the "I'm old" signal and finish in 8 weeks? I don't understand how taking a cutting from a young plant just magically makes the thing finish faster. Is it the actual process of growing new roots from a stem that causes this or is it just the age of the mother adding on? It seems like if it is the latter you could overcome this by just having a long veg time. For example I have some pretty massive trees (to my chest) growing that have the alternating node growing pattern now. If I flower them are they going to have the same 10 week finish still?

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I can't answer your specific question, but i have noticed a few differences between seed origin plants and clones myself. Seed origin plants tend to have a bit more vigor and also they have a stronger apical dominance that is harder to overcome.
As a grower who uses small spaces with limited height, i have cloned seed origin plants, discarded them, and flowered the clones before. With unlimited veg time this is an option to consider.

As far as i have observed, clones DO return to their juvenile state for a short time after rooting, because the leaves go back to being opposite each other for a few nodes until they become alternate again... but this is a much quicker process than seed origin plants becoming mature.

VG

Latest posts

Latest posts