What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

University of Guelph paper- Flushing is a myth!

BongFu

Lol Frank you said in post 23 that my statement that only double blinds could tell us if flushing resulted in a cleaner taste was “so biased”.

I responded by saying that statement was science denying hippy dribble and flat earther stuff - which it is.

Your response was to throw a tantrum and tell me I was an impotent child lol.

Id say though at this point we have conclusively demonstrated that flushing has zero effect on inorganic nutrients in the bud tissue and all starving a plant does is mobilize nutrients from sources to sinks. Hell of a long discussion to get there and a few insults along the way but yup safe to say inline to the Guelph study flushing has no effect on inorganic nutrients in the bud.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wtf: :jerkit:

listen2.gif
...:pointlaug
:Bolt:

dank.Frank

BongFu

Lol and now he calls me a wanker or is that an impotent wanker? :woohoo:

The last bastion of the fool is insults Frank. I asked you to say something intelligent aways back. Im still waiting. Out. :thank you::tiphat:

MedFaced

Ok. So DF and Weird can grow good pot using their stress techniques. It’s evident, and I’ve lurked on some of their threads because I value their experience.

However, there are many accomplished grower that feed until finish and produce amazing flowers. They are here on icmag and on other cannabis forums. This is reality.

So back to the paper. Does water wash away nutrients? With a few exceptions, no. The studies posted already cover this ad nauseum.

The obsession to convince folks that their methods are the only one that will produce a clean tasting product is ludicrous and incredibly egotistical. More importantly, it just isn’t true. There are lots and lots of organic and high brix growers all over, some on icmag and some on other forums that feed until finish and have reputations beyond dispute.

If they’re are so convinced that their methods are best, why not simply experiment with one plant? Show us.

Lastly, there is a certain enjoyable irony in two growers passionately arguing the importance of flushing, who technically don’t flush. Using starvation stress techniques are a different conversation.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Or - why not do as I suggested many pages ago?

Put your buds up for review. IC Cup 2020. My flowers will be there. Who else?

It's a double blind contest. People handing out the sample do not know if the are hydro/organic cured/uncured, etc. nor do the participants judging. :joint:

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
gaiusmarius will post when the time comes. Usually around December/January I think. Entries are usually due around the second week of April. Event has been held in Barcelona recent years.

dank.Frank

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Ok. At least it gives me time to figure out a way to smuggle my weed there. Lol.

Hell i just might hold one here. We already have a Canada Cup for Hockey. Why not for cannabis?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Ok. So DF and Weird can grow good pot using their stress techniques. It’s evident, and I’ve lurked on some of their threads because I value their experience.

However, there are many accomplished grower that feed until finish and produce amazing flowers.
They are here on icmag and on other cannabis forums. This is reality.

So back to the paper. Does water wash away nutrients? With a few exceptions, no. The studies posted already cover this ad nauseum.

The obsession to convince folks that their methods are the only one that will produce a clean tasting product is ludicrous and incredibly egotistical. More importantly, it just isn’t true. There are lots and lots of organic and high brix growers all over, some on icmag and some on other forums that feed until finish and have reputations beyond dispute.

If they’re are so convinced that their methods are best, why not simply experiment with one plant? Show us.

Lastly, there is a certain enjoyable irony in two growers passionately arguing the importance of flushing, who technically don’t flush. Using starvation stress techniques are a different conversation.

The subjectivity of amazing makes your comment unreasonable.

Having grown the same exact cultivar using various methodology including high brix (which is in my opinion best for edible foods) and having learned to cue senescence regardless I have baseline for most methodology with and without forced senescence.

T^he fact that you think that you can't envision the data gathered on a personal basis over the term of a quarter century is apparent and since science doesn't have a real answer your stuck and frustrated at the same time.

Subjectivity is relative to sensitivity of the senses and the condition of the mind that receives feed back from those senses.

Being an asshole about it won't change this as a reality you have to suffer.

'Boogieman'

I grow organic and never flushed. I also grow gorilla outdoors far from my home in large pots or holes so flushing is not really practical for me but I never had issues with fertilizer effecting the taste but I stop feeding 2-3 weeks before they are done.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
the point isn't to keep a plant at peak stores during maturation if you do you are not expressing senescence in a meaningful way

if you don't comprehend that you shouldn't be in this conversation until you do

prune

Veteran
Being an asshole about it won't change this as a reality you have to suffer.

I love when people give life advice on the forums and then violate that very same advice in their next post...

It's also so funny seeing some arrogant asswipe flail about when they get stung with facts that supersede all the horseshoe advice they've been flinging about for years...

Flatearthers, cause N=1 rules! :thank you:

White Beard

I love when people give life advice on the forums and then violate that very same advice in their next post...

It's also so funny seeing some arrogant asswipe flail about when they get stung with facts that supersede all the horseshoe advice they've been flinging about for years...

Flatearthers, cause N=1 rules! :thank you:

THAT is *not* a haiku

G

Gauss

I hope nobody here thinks I am saying that not flushing is making their end product shite, because that's not what I'm saying at all. Some folks here on both side of this issue could probably grow better bud than me in their sleep using those hokey upside down tomato bags, but In any case, I've been at it a while as well and I'm pretty sure I've proven this topic to myself. I don't assume to know what is literally happening, but I did witness the cause and effect relationship— though I'm not going to say I fully comprehend it scientifically. I'm a stoner, I smoke my weed and take notes, I'm not a biologist by any stretch of the imagination.

Here's what Cervantes has to say on the matter:
"Question: Can cannabis flower really have a chemical or “off” taste if it contains nutrients added to aid growing? Are there any fertilizers that are particularly problematic for adulterating flavor?

Answer: Yes! Nutrients build up in plant foliage and tissue, especially in cannabis that is “pushed” hard with fertilizers. Synthetic salt-based fertilizers are the worst. Often indoor growers add large amounts of phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) during flowering. The nutrients can build up in plant tissue adding weight.

The best evidence of contaminants is a joint that crackles lightly and smells odd when smoked. Crackles come from excessive nutrient buildup in dry plant tissue.

If it is full of contaminants the taste will be unpleasant too. The taste and contaminants are even more intense when a harvested crop is made into concentrates. Separating contaminants from concentrates is time-consuming and requires expertise in chemistry.

Greenhouse and indoor gardeners that grow in containers and hydroponics can leach fertilizer salts from soilless mixes and hydroponic substrates in 5-7 days. Light well-aerated soilless mixes consist of peat and/or perlite, and may or may not be impregnated with nutrients. Salt-based nutrients are easy to leach when in containers. Gardeners must leach soil with 3 gallons of clean water for every gallon of growing medium.

For example, if a flowering plant is in a 5-gallon container, the grower would need to leach with 15 gallons of water daily for about a week for a thorough flush."
Source:https://www.thecannabist.co/2017/03/28/growing-marijuana-fertilizers-nutrients-flushing/72515

I think Jorge has indulged in explaining with more detail than I care to fully subscribe to, but nevertheless it corroborates some of my own real world experiences. If nobody believes me that's cool, screw me, but if you are curious and want the truth then try it yourselves. The proof is in the pudding, everything else is just evidence.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
This thread is a PERFECT example why science is a RELIGION.

This guy, Prune, comes in and first post goes from 0 to 100. Fuck sake - let's exclude the possibility of balance. If you disagree with the flushing study = the earth must be flat.

The absolute STUPIDITY of such a procession of thought is so illogical I can't even fathom it, yet - THAT - is who trumpets and heralds science - those who have no real experience and nothing real to contribute so they share studies and thump their chest as if they've accomplished something...with not a single picture in their album.

10 years ago we'd have called these lame posers COPS - not trolls.

dank.Frank

BongFu

This thread is a PERFECT example why science is a RELIGION.

This guy comes in and first post goes from 0 to 100. Fuck sake - let's exclude the possibility of balance. If you disagree with the flushing study = the earth must be flat.

The absolute STUPIDITY of such a procession of thought is so illogical I can't even fathom it, yet - THAT - is who trumpets and heralds science - those who have no real experience and nothing real to contribute so they share studies and thump their chest as if they've accomplished something...with not a single picture in their album.

10 years ago we'd have called these lame posers COPS - not trolls.

dank.Frank

You summed it up with "I can't even fathom it" [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"[/FONT]

Science a religion. That's the best one yet.

"10 years ago we'd have called these lame posers COPS - not trolls." Yeah pal but I aint ever been a snitch and if there is one thing all of us in the pot culture despise it is a snitch.