What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

easy home CBD test. easier then beam

clearheaded

I found this at another site.. fairly similar to what chimera said, however this uses easily obtained materials and gives an idea of %. which would give mass instead of roach size.. anhoo

"This method gets tweeked here and there over time....currently working on tweeking it to pre test male plants.

--------------

Pheno seedz' CBD test method

------------

1.5 ml micro centrifuge vial (snap top)
0.08 gram lye
Tiny roach sized "pinch" of plant material.
1ml of 50% iso rubbing alcohol (although 70% can be used)
1 tiny Carbon pellet (sold at pet stores in fish dept)

--------------

Do the following in this exact order.

Add 0.08 grams of lye to vial, add plant material, add carbon pellet (on top of plant material to get better visability of color change), add rubbing alcohol as close to top of vial as possible (about 1ml). Close vial securely and shake for 60 seconds (making sure lye is not stuck to bottom..give few light taps if lye is stuck), wait 10 minutes and shake another 60 seconds, after 10 more minutes the color reaction should be ready.

Green = 0%
Yellow = 0-3%
Orange = 3-5%
Maroon with slight purple = 5-8%
Light purple = 8-12%

--------------

LYE safety should be researched and understood before trying the testing.

DO NOT add over 0.08 gram lye as the more you add then the hotter the chemical reaction will be and you can get burned, 0.08 is the most sensitive amount for percent testing (under 0.08 and you may not get any color reaction)....I burned my finger when I tried 1.5 gram of lye.

You should try to use dense samples over fluffy samples (fluffy samples do not react as good).

You should perform the test 3 times to each plant...using the highest percent as final result. Taking a pinch from different buds or different areas of a bud.

Wash hands often and make sure to wash work area after, cover work area in paper towels or paper in order to better clean up after.

Purple Nitrile gloves are better suited than latex gloves when dealing with lye.

As extra pre caution you can wrap toilet paper or something around the vial during the shaking process.

Drain cleaners can not be used instead of actual lye (drain cleaners add dye to the lye).

from my breedbazy thread posted by cbdseeker"

cbd_test6.jpg

Last edited:

weedtoker

Veteran
So this in theory would show a "raw" idea/figure of CBD even if a Type/chemo 1 had some significant quantity of CBD in it's chemical composition?

cheers

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has this method been compared to known lab test results?

A link or mention of where to find the original thread would be helpful.

clearheaded

was cut and paste already, sorry. but it would appear it has been compared to test results. if want original will need to use the search engine on breeedbay.

Cant post the link but its easily googled. if look at bottom the post came with where to find it ;)

Last edited:

clearheaded

the original must have compared test results otherwise just plucked from the air and not sure if even actually worked. however the reposter of this did not compare his results to it.

It also does appear to work on males test node material apprently as male flowers dont seem to work. get ChemoTYPE at very least and if works nearly as good as beam test thats a great thing as lye and rubbing alcohol is much easier to come across then pure ish ethanol and KOH.

Ncali

Veteran
Cool info. Going to try this, does fresh or dried plant material have an effect?

Kalachakra

It also does appear to work on males test node material apprently as male flowers dont seem to work. get ChemoTYPE at very least and if works nearly as good as beam test thats a great thing as lye and rubbing alcohol is much easier to come across then pure ish ethanol and KOH.

Hello Clearheaded,

That really interests me to include to use this trick but...
Could you to explain what is a "male test node material", please.
I do not have a well understanding of which part of the male plant you speak (sorry for my english...) to do that ?

Thank a lot for your time and this explanation.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Quite logically, the activated charcoal is sensible to be of use as filter of lye to lead the precipitate of color up by density in the solution.
:thinking:
Please rephrase?

Filter of lye?
The charcoal floats in the lye/water/alcohol solution, what exactly would it be absorbing from this mix?

lead the precipitate of color up by density in the solution
So whatever the charcoal is absorbing is changing the density of the solution?

My apologies, even caffeine is not helping my understanding here.

Save

G.O. Joe

Veteran
The color should be purple if there's any CBD at all. The reaction requires oxygen. CBG also reacts, but CBGA and CBDA, in a few words, not so much. I'd be surprised if using a rock as the weight instead of aquarium carbon made much difference. It would be more scientific looking if the material was at least dried, ground, decarboxylated, and weighed the same for everything. There's a feeling that if honest competent analytical chemists did a thorough investigation of the method, they would find it fundamentally flawed.

Douglas.Curtis

The color should be purple if there's any CBD at all. The reaction requires oxygen. CBG also reacts, but CBGA and CBDA, in a few words, not so much. I'd be surprised if using a rock as the weight instead of aquarium carbon made much difference. It would be more scientific looking if the material was at least dried, ground, decarboxylated, and weighed the same for everything. There's a feeling that if honest competent analytical chemists did a thorough investigation of the method, they would find it fundamentally flawed.
You make very valid points. I'm also hoping it can be refined to be at least semi-useful.

Kalachakra

@ Douglas Curtis

I am not a chemist but the process remains the same as when we make certain macerations to obtain liqueurs and that i know, please ...

In the packaging the alcohol passes by a filter (there it is activated charcoal) which takes care to separate "the pure of the impure" (like the intestine functions on human body...) or the CBD concentration contained in the mixture (alcohol + lye) by density of each parts in this concentration.

The solution containing the CBD must be more volatile / light than the density from the rest of this.
Charcoal work like a membrane of separation between both.

Kick me if i said a bullshit, this is the way how i conceive the use of charcoal in this process.
:shucks:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
I'm also hoping it can be refined to be at least semi-useful.

It would be a surprise if it can. The pictures strike me as more representative of time lapse - 50% alcohol not extracting well, the carbon doing nothing as the green shows, and CBDA or CBGA slowly reacting. There are Beam threads where I've probably suggested extracting as usual then making the determination in a different way. By finding the minimum amount of diluted decarboxylated extract required to produce a tint with a particular intensity under certain repeatable conditions. Once that's been calibrated with pure CBD and after using TLC to get some idea of what's up.

Douglas.Curtis

@ Douglas Curtis
the alcohol passes by a filter (there it is activated charcoal) which takes care to separate
You can see in the photos, the pellet is not being used as a filter here. Your input is still greatly appreciated. :)

It would be a surprise if it can. The pictures strike me as more representative of time lapse - 50% alcohol not extracting well, the carbon doing nothing as the green shows, and CBDA or CBGA slowly reacting. There are Beam threads where I've probably suggested extracting as usual then making the determination in a different way. By finding the minimum amount of diluted decarboxylated extract required to produce a tint with a particular intensity under certain repeatable conditions. Once that's been calibrated with pure CBD and after using TLC to get some idea of what's up.
I see what you mean. Sounds like a lot of work. lol

Bongstar420

Jeese. I just QWISO (0.5-1g flower/14-28g veg plant), dry, decarb, redissolve, add 2x the KOH as resin. More CBD=More purple. Just use clear extracts to begin with. Not sure why you would do this to a joint. If you didn't get high, it has high CBD or would have little resin to begin with. You will not find use for discovering high concentrations of anything but CBD> CBDA will show negative results and so will every other raw cannabinoid. There are two colors here. Rose for THC and Purple for CBD. This only meant to produce a positive or negative result and is not qualitative in any meaningful way out side that.

Some terp profiles give differing colors and will produce purple on the rare occasion (rosemary oil will do it I think). THC gives a rose color but can be darker even with no CBD (did this to lab tested stuff). A 50:50 pheno was indistinguishable from a 05:95 pheno (lab verified) unless you control for concentration and do a dilution ratio.....the 05:95 pheno taking 2x the dilution of the 50:50 for similar purple tint results.

These pigments are unhealthy for you. Be advised

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Sounds like a lot of work. lol

It can be quite easy to compare plants, without calibrating for %. You see how many drops it takes to produce the color.

As an alternative to weighing out 80 mg. of NaOH for each vial, it may be wiser to dissolve batchwise the calculated equivalent amount in the water needed to dilute the alcohol to 50%.

clearheaded

of course not accurate however if can get 1-5% and 5-15% thats still pretty informative. and cheap way to find what pheno has some and or MOST at very least.

I am not sure of the chemistry, GO JOE, mentioned using a titration type technique, but easily could be "calibrated" simply using fairly easy to get CBD Xl isolate. and again the only issue with #of drops per color change, and i browsed quickly so may be understanding, but wouldnt this also create more accuracy issues? ie temp, time between drops, terpenes etc of dif strains changing ph slightly?

while we all can agree "a pinch" is far from scientific, the idea is that its easier for people to get the materials. and as it said it needs to be refined, which as some have pointed out could be relatively easy to do. cbd isolate, if in acid form? should be easy way to calibrate without a lab or of course compared to some known tested CBD var, which of course would be ruff but thats all this really is for, presence of cbd pheno and perhaps get a ruff idea which has most?

KALACHKA; by male plant at the node it is meant where branches come off of the mainstem. ie where meristems come from.