No announcement yet.

Nighttime starch degradation, the circadian clock, and plant growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My (possibly faulty) interpretation is that, to avoid leaving harsh-tasting/hard-burning starches in the aboveground tissues, you'd want to chop when the starches are still in the roots, and if the plant times the degradation of starch to finish exactly when daylight is expected, having the last night be a little bit longer would catch the plant w/o any remaining starch.
    DIY wine refrigerator curing cabinet

nighttime starch degradation, the circadian clock, and plant growth

Comment

Wow, I am glad this thread was bumped up so I noticed it. Very fascinating! (I <3 science )
      Just your average, middle-aged chick attempting to be a gardener

Follow my super low-budget learning experience!

Comment

cool read bro! k+

as you say, would make sense to extend the night before the chop (you all remember that 48 hours darness myth before chop for white widow genetix to get extra resin???), in the end to be 100% sure, one would have to harvest the same plant in 2 steps, half plant shortly before the light goes off, and the other half as soon as the light goes on aggain, then you would need to do randomized "blind" testing with couple of folks, and see what the collected data states... or get a tool for measuring the sugar content in leaves, applied by vineyards (prior to harvesting, note the values, and see whatz up, it's called a brix meter or refractometer)...

blessss

Comment

Originally posted by purple_man View Post
          cool read bro! k+

as you say, would make sense to extend the night before the chop (you all remember that 48 hours darness myth before chop for white widow genetix to get extra resin???), in the end to be 100% sure, one would have to harvest the same plant in 2 steps, half plant shortly before the light goes off, and the other half as soon as the light goes on aggain, then you would need to do randomized "blind" testing with couple of folks, and see what the collected data states... or get a tool for measuring the sugar content in leaves, applied by vineyards (prior to harvesting, note the values, and see whatz up, it's called a brix meter or refractometer)...

blessss
          Its to late for me this year but i will try it next season measuring the brix mid day - afternoon and just when i pull the ligth dep = lights onn

This brix thing is new to me and i just measured it after peak sun
          but it makes sense to measure- log it, thu the day

I am still confused if high brix numbers are good to have when you harvest and what they suppose to be

Again i would raise the Q - what is best alot sugar-low starch (sun set) or low starch - low sugar (moring)

I know that they add sugars to tobacco to make a better flavor and that it burns longer

I really dig this topic since my growing is good but i would love to make the harvest process optimal for flavor and taste - its a very important aspect

Bom Shiva

Comment

if i remember right, the higher the brix level, the higher the ammount of all non liquid compounds is in the sample (sugars, chlorophyll, anthocyanins, ...), hence i guess the lowest measurement would provide the smoothest smoke, since we are trying to accomplish the opposite of what a refractometer is used (in vegetables and fruits, the higher the brix level -> more sugars, ... -> better flavor).

blessss
            ps.: in tobbacco, they use glycerin to prolong the burning (keeps the tobbacco moist), the sugar, is added for better flavour and masking some of the harshness of the smoke

Comment

if i remember right, the higher the brix level, the higher the ammount of all non liquid compounds is in the sample (sugars, chlorophyll, anthocyanins, ...), hence i guess the lowest measurement would provide the smoothest smoke, since we are trying to accomplish the opposite of what a refractometer is used (in vegetables and fruits, the higher the brix level -> more sugars, ... -> better flavor).

blessss
              ps.: in tobbacco, they use glycerin to prolong the burning (keeps the tobbacco moist), the sugar, is added for better flavour and masking some of the harshness of the smoke

Cool - thanks for clearing that up, it makes sense to go with low brix readings , so in the morning is optimal or would it be best just to keep em in the dark and harvest after 14 houres keeping them in the dark ?

Then the plants would have minimal starch and non to very littel sugar.

Good day to ya all

Comment

it seems to me the window of harvest becomes NightTime+10Hrs

so if you are running 12/12, you wait for the light to go off and harvest in 22 hours(night + 10)

also could this be related to the reason why tropical sativas should be run in a 10/14 light-dark cycle? because of how they use starch reserves at night?
                "Another interesting note is that the herb I describe as ‘The Best’ tested at approx. 7% THC!" - dj short

"I made Skunk #1 by myself, no help." - sams

"Don't poke at me from afar, fuck me up close." - tom hill

Comment

nope tropical sativas most of the time recieve 12/12 during whole of their life, hence shortening the period facilitates the ripening process...

not sure dkgrower... me thinks youll have to make a comparison, one part harvested before lights up, and the 2nd half with additional 14 hours of darkness (if i understand right), note the brix readings, and after a nice cure, the smoke should be a good indicator which one worked better

blessss

Comment

Harvest during the end of night or just after lights turn on, that is when starch levels will be lowest. If you want to ensure all reserves are used you would give them an extra couple hours of darkness. Assuming cannabis behaves the same as aradopsis.
                    one own the air, one pay to breathe

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

Comment

nope tropical sativas most of the time recieve 12/12 during whole of their life, hence shortening the period facilitates the ripening process...

not sure dkgrower... me thinks youll have to make a comparison, one part harvested before lights up, and the 2nd half with additional 14 hours of darkness (if i understand right), note the brix readings, and after a nice cure, the smoke should be a good indicator which one worked better

blessss
                      I tryed with killer queen i harvest a good amount after i extended the dark periode by 2 houres - cutting them down in the dark

For the other end off the spectrum i harvest again a desent amount just before ligth out -

Ditte read the brix to much going on but they just got deleaved and are haning to dry

I am really trying to nail the perfect harvest window and giving the last respect befor the chop chop and find this topic very important

Bom shiva

Comment

way to go bro! please let us know, what differences if any you experience, once the ladies are dried...

blessss

Comment

If starch levels are lowest as lights turn on, why is it recommended that we take cuts in the morning?
                          one own the air, one pay to breathe

MMMP Patient/Caregiver

Comment

who recommends that?

and i bet if i splice some 'starch genes' into an indica it wouldnt flower till 10/14

there has to be some other reason than "its because indica is indica and sativa is sativa and thats that"
                            "Another interesting note is that the herb I describe as ‘The Best’ tested at approx. 7% THC!" - dj short

"I made Skunk #1 by myself, no help." - sams

"Don't poke at me from afar, fuck me up close." - tom hill

Comment

yeah who recommends that??? first time i hear this in nearly 2 decades...

nah jayjay... the thing is, if i were to infuse you with ringer liquid supplemented with sugars and vitamins (aka "multivitamin" ringer fluid), while you are asleep, you would not wake up, in a similar way a plant would response, if you were able to disrupt/modify it's starch metabolism....

blessss

Comment

Originally posted by bigshrimp View Post
                                If starch levels are lowest as lights turn on, why is it recommended that we take cuts in the morning?
                                I thought that was about auxin levels, not starch levels.
                                DIY wine refrigerator curing cabinet

nighttime starch degradation, the circadian clock, and plant growth

Comment

Working...
                                X