What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The facts about CO2 ppm: don't use 1,500!

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
no Co2 for 3 days and still hitting 1000+ppm at nite
and the room is sealed up tite eh:chin:

So why run the tank daily if that's where your numbers are?

those A dawgs are a looking mean TC
bet your loving the new dis :smoke:

Well the tank is connected to a controller so I really don't even know if it gasses daily or not.

I have it set to 900 and at lights on it will be around 1200 and if I don't open the door it will still be above 900 hours after the lights come on.

Of course with me working in there it never gasses because my breath keeps it above 1000. I actually think working/being in the room two hours a day probably provides all the co2 needed.

When the tank was closed the plants would slowly take in the co2 dropping levels down to 400-500 by lights off and lights on it was back over 1000.

In short, I have no idea if I even use any gas lol. The pressure in my tank is dropping so it does gas, just not much.

Yep, loving the new room.:)

ghostmade

Veteran
I've read people's co2 will go up when running organic. something to do with the soil fungi and microbe releasing there gases, raising the co2 naturally.

btw nice grow

Last edited:

guineapig

Veteran
Recently I saw a CO2 absorption graph that showed very small fluctuations in the CO2 level of the room over the course of the day as the plants did their thing.

You could see that the plants metabolism had a rhythm to it, like they would absorb a
higher level of CO2 for a few hours and then take a rest for a few hours. I assumed this
was just due to circadian rhythms.

I would think that more research on CO2 and plants would be going on right now, but
most likely these are large forest and rain forest research that aims to find out how
large populations of plants absorb CO2 and release O2.

1500 ppm always struck me as too high, and I think we have proved that the old books
were wrong when they said 1500 was some kind of magic optimal level to maintain for
a greenhouse or indoor environment.

Thanks to all CO2 researchers around the world. Keep generating data. :wave:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

D

DHF

It`s been proven from many yrs ago in the greenhouse industry , that CO2 levels as well as RH levels would spike during the night time period , so it only stands to reason why "indoor" setups would experience the same results due to plant transpiration during lights off.....and....

As long as yas have RH under control with CO2 ppms as well by whatever means necessary , you`re ahead of the ballgame TC.....

Respect....DHF.....:ying:......

Desert Hydro

Veteran
this is my first time running co2 for the most part and so far everything is going good. i have a couple of questions for the experienced guys. i was running running jacks at the 1.2 ec for non co2 enriched gardens and they went def. almost instantly. i bumped them up around 1.8-2.0 ec and they have recovered and are healthy now. i run a burner outside of my tent and then pull outside air from the room into my tent to bring up co2 levels. this is working quite well and keeping the temps down but it has also dropped my Rh considerably. im in the mid 40's and they leaves seem to be rather leathery. color is good but they dont feel quite as "soft" as my previous leaves. do you think this is merely an Rh problem?

the seedlings look amazing and healthy. my clones are the bushy ones that have the upward fold on a few of the fans. the strains are supposed to be NYCD and blue dream. no telling if they actually are or arent until i grow them out though. BD is known for its fert sensitivity and i heard NYCD can be picky as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.JPG
    IMG_1079.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 59

frettfreak

this is my first time running co2 for the most part and so far everything is going good. i have a couple of questions for the experienced guys. i was running running jacks at the 1.2 ec for non co2 enriched gardens and they went def. almost instantly. i bumped them up around 1.8-2.0 ec and they have recovered and are healthy now. i run a burner outside of my tent and then pull outside air from the room into my tent to bring up co2 levels. this is working quite well and keeping the temps down but it has also dropped my Rh considerably. im in the mid 40's and they leaves seem to be rather leathery. color is good but they dont feel quite as "soft" as my previous leaves. do you think this is merely an Rh problem?

the seedlings look amazing and healthy. my clones are the bushy ones that have the upward fold on a few of the fans. the strains are supposed to be NYCD and blue dream. no telling if they actually are or arent until i grow them out though. BD is known for its fert sensitivity and i heard NYCD can be picky as well.

I get the same thing happen to my girls every time I move to flower. I always associated it with light issues and getting used to them but could be co2 as well.

Do your stems get really purple and hard (usually starts with the stem of the larger fan leaves then goes to the stem)?

Bumping your nutes that much helped? I am usually around 1.0ec (or 600-650ppm on the 0.5 scale)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Desert Hydro

Veteran
without co2 the standard for jacks/calnit is 1.2 ec combined. i was told 1.8 ec with co2. i still have a few purple stems but not nearly as bad as at 1.2. purple stems is a pretty good sign of underfeeding from what ive been taught. i went up to 2.0 and they started to claw up a bit. dropped down to 1.8 and they seem happy on the new growth.

i really believe my issue is from Rh though. im around 45% and i need to look into a way to keep it high in my room.

DabSnob

im about to start school at OSU for my crop and soil science degree, i would love to do a project/ research paper on the effects of high/low CO2 levels and cannabis. only thing is i would like to do them side by side, requiring me to buy a couple tents and 2 CO2 setups. im currently running open atmosphere and am still pulling over 1.5lbs per 1000w. would be interested to see the effects CO2 would have in my garden, But that means completely redialing my grow room conditions.

Newbie here, I also noticed that right at lights on my "sealed" room's co2 would be at 1500ppm's if I didn't feed the day before and at 1800ppm's if I fed the day before. I haven't noticed the regulator gauge drop in weeks.

I started feeding general organics three ago.

How do I get the room below those numbers If optimal co2 levels are 1000-1200?
Since I started reading this thread I have changed my controller to 1k, but the levels don't drop.

Trend

I agree and disagree with spurrs post. Seems I get big cabbage like growth when runnin high levels 1500-1800. No stretch but no density. 800-1000 is nice even growth boost. Under 700 stalled growth rates weaker plants and reduced yields but solid ripe and dense buds. This is after many runs. The problem with science growing plants is you can only control something that is alive so much. I've had 3 sniffers at one time and all 3 read different. Within 150 ppm around 1000 but still off. In short with my sniffer if I'm being lazy 1200-1300 is the sweet spot. If going optimal, like all things I do its variations to manipulate plant growth. If they are lanky I go up to 1800 early. If they are bushy or too stacked I go 800. A normal run I start at 800 week 1. Go to 1200 til stretch is done. Or rather til they stop stacking and start getting plump. At that time for about a week we go as high as 1800-2000 and promote the lush fat fluff for a week. Then back down to 1200 and taper off weekly until last week then switch to fresh air. I also swing temps and rh. I can't explain how it all works but it does. Most people think you should run 80º but I'm up to 95-100 first few weeks. I just can't blindly classify this plant in a category as rice wheat tomato ect. But this is my own opinion based on real world experience in my rooms. So many factors in a grow no two rooms will ever be the same.

FatherEarth

Veteran
interesting...

interesting...

I havent finished reading this thread yet... I have experienced CO2 levels as high as 2000 for nearly the entire grow, day and night fluctuations did occur and a gradual decline until harvest was attributed to the waning of the microbial colonies sources of food... Air exchange was very high but at nigh it was far less maybe a few times an hour. The CO2 was from having large amounts of living soil in a small room. That crop was the start of the heaviest yield era for me. It seemed as though the plants still benefited from the night time co2 levels but without any hard data my report is anecdotal at best. I am currently still using this method and love it...

2.5 grams per watt was encouraging I must say...

Big Soil Little Room

stc

Great information.

In Grotenhuis's abstract, it states:
“Super-optimal CO2 did not decrease the number of heads per square meter, but reduced seeds per head by 10% and mass per seed by 11%"

I compare the buds to the heads, and since there is no reduction of heads at super-optimal levels then I assume they are not detrimental to the grower's goal. Unless, seeds are the goal.

My knowledge is limited, thus I may be missing something.

I appreciate the abstracts. You are so correct that it appears there are no studies supporting the 1500ppm assumption.

Man I am so confused about what is the ideal Co2 level. I have been growing for 20 years now and since day 1 I have had it drilled into my brain that you want 1500 ppm Co2. Now Im being told that 1000 is ideal.

the gnome

Veteran
if you've been running 1500ppm it's easy nuff to find out if 1000 is better.
give it a go, after all these years you should be able to tell if it's better-worse or the same

Latest posts

Latest posts